1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Batch sharpening

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Mike56, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Mike56

Mike56 New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2012
    I think I'd better start this by saying that other than occasionally using the 'crop' function, I don't do any processing of my photos.

I'm taking photos of mineral specimens to sell on ebay - lapis lazuli, quartz, malachite etc. Taking good photos of mineral speciments seems to be very difficult, but I'm making some progress. What I would like to do is apply some global sharpening to my images with as few mouse clicks as possible. For each mineral I take about 10 pics and make about $20-30 profit, so I just can't afford the time to mess around with the photos much.

Is it possible to batch process sharpening of images? It only needs to be approximate sharpening, so I think if I applied the same change to all images that would be fine. A google search suggests that it can't be done in PSE.

I'm using an E-PL3 and have access to Olympus Viewer and Photoshop Elements. I'd consider buying additional software. Would be really grateful for any advice.

2. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    Lightroom lets you define a preset profile that acts on each image as it is imported. I have a preset sharpening that is applied in this way. I shoot raw.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Lightroom (and DxO) allow you to copy/paste adjustments from one photo to the next. So you can either make a default profile to apply to everything you import, or adjust sharpness to taste on the first of a series and copy/paste it on to all the others.

You sound like the ideal candidate for Lightroom - cropping and non-pixel editing are what it excels at (in addition to content management and RAW conversion, of course). I only ever launch photoshop if I need to fine-tune something for a very large print, or play with Nik's plugins (prefer the PS versions to the LR implementation).

4. Mike56

Mike56 New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2012
    Two replies, both with the same conclusion. Thanks very much to both of you - makes my life much easier. It looks like I can download a trial version, which is what I'm going to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.