Batch sharpening

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Mike56, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Mike56

Mike56 New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2012
    I think I'd better start this by saying that other than occasionally using the 'crop' function, I don't do any processing of my photos.

I'm taking photos of mineral specimens to sell on ebay - lapis lazuli, quartz, malachite etc. Taking good photos of mineral speciments seems to be very difficult, but I'm making some progress. What I would like to do is apply some global sharpening to my images with as few mouse clicks as possible. For each mineral I take about 10 pics and make about $20-30 profit, so I just can't afford the time to mess around with the photos much.

Is it possible to batch process sharpening of images? It only needs to be approximate sharpening, so I think if I applied the same change to all images that would be fine. A google search suggests that it can't be done in PSE.

I'm using an E-PL3 and have access to Olympus Viewer and Photoshop Elements. I'd consider buying additional software. Would be really grateful for any advice.

2. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    Lightroom lets you define a preset profile that acts on each image as it is imported. I have a preset sharpening that is applied in this way. I shoot raw.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Lightroom (and DxO) allow you to copy/paste adjustments from one photo to the next. So you can either make a default profile to apply to everything you import, or adjust sharpness to taste on the first of a series and copy/paste it on to all the others.

You sound like the ideal candidate for Lightroom - cropping and non-pixel editing are what it excels at (in addition to content management and RAW conversion, of course). I only ever launch photoshop if I need to fine-tune something for a very large print, or play with Nik's plugins (prefer the PS versions to the LR implementation).

4. Mike56

Mike56 New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2012
    Two replies, both with the same conclusion. Thanks very much to both of you - makes my life much easier. It looks like I can download a trial version, which is what I'm going to do.