1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Basketball Settings on M1 & 40-150 2.8 Lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Rudy Pataky, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Rudy Pataky

Rudy Pataky New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2016
    Rudy Pataky
    Hi there,
    Have been taking pics of my granddaughter of her playing HS basketball. I'm using the Auto Sports setting and find that many pics are blurry and out of foxus. Is there a manual setting that can be set up to capture most photos that are in-focus?

The shutter is very fast but it seems that the focus does not keep up with the subject.

Thanks,
    Rudy

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    What equipment are you using? We need to know camera, lenses etc. to make suggestions.

3. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    You already stated that you're using an EM1 and the 40-150 Pro. That would normally be a great combination, but given that the lighting in the basketball gym is probably pretty dim, you'll probably need to shoot at a higher ISO. Maybe 3200 or so. You'll probably need to be using it almost wide open and with a higher shutter speed to help freeze the action, but I dunno if that's why it's blurry. What AF method are you using? You may find it more productive to use C-AF and use the center rectangle area focusing points. Not using a single AF point, that is. Then again, the lighting may be so dim that it's just going to be tough to get decent shots in there. In that case you might have more success with a 75mm f1.8 or something like that. Anyway, given only the camera and lens info, it's hard to tell what might be the problem.

Addendum: David Zvi might be right. I'm not familiar with the Sport mode, but maybe that is limiting your choices in this situation.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Sport mode is probably not giving you a high enough shutter speed for indoor HS BBall.

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'd use Shutter Priority, with Auto ISO (6400 or 8000 limit)... and choose a shutter speed...

I'd use the Single Center AF point (large or small) if you're trying to focus on your granddaughter. I normally use S-AF; if you want to use C-AF or Track, you'll need to practice.

The pic below was taken with the 40-150R f4-5.6 as I knew I wouldn't be able to get into Staples with a larger lens (they have strict rules)...
    150mm, f5.6, 1/160s, ISO500 (you'll need much higher ISO in a HS gym):
    E1112074-Lakers v TrailBlazers Staples Center.
    At shutter speeds such as 1/160, you're going to get motion blur, especially on the ball. It'll look even worse on a tighter shot, so you'll probably want to use a higher shutter speed. 1/800 would be near ideal, but you have to have good light and/or high ISO to get there even at f2.8.

I've also posted some HS football pictures, see Sigma 60mm f2.8 DN Lens for nighttime sports?

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rudy Pataky

Rudy Pataky New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2016
    Rudy Pataky
    Thank You Barry. I will try Shutter Priority and S-AF. Actually a lot of the shots were out of focus, not blurry. I'll try 1/800 shutter speed
    Also. That's a great picture you posted. Everyone in focus.

7. Rudy Pataky

Rudy Pataky New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2016
    Rudy Pataky
    Thanks for your reply. I owned the 75 1.8 but sold it because of not enough reach.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Thanks, but the high depth of field is due to the f5.6 aperture (which was as wide as that lens could go at 150mm); in HS lighting you'll want to use a wider aperture (i.e. f2.8) but you will see more focal blur in front of and behind the 'subject', especially at longer focal lengths.

Barry

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Well, I guess the 40-150 f2.8 is your best bet. I'm sure you can find a setup that will work for you.

10. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    The most valuable "tool" will be an ability to "read the play" and have the focus nailed before the ball/player arrives.

Select manual mode. Shoot it wide open (f/2.8). Lock shutter speed at 640, 800 or even 1000 if the light is good enough. Up the Iso until the meter tells you its either correct or even +.3 ev , which will help minimise high iso noise. Assign focus to a non-shutter button that you can reach with your thumb. Indoor gym lighting shouldnt change so you can then concentrate on zooming with the left, focusing with the right thumb and firing the shutter without it trying to refocus.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    High school sports are notorious for having dismal lighting. If you are close with the team, you may be able to put a remote strobe high up and out of the way. Players usually won't even notice firing if placed right. This can add easily give you a couple stops extra to work with. David Hobby has a great write up about shooting HS basketball with one or two strobes. If you do this a lot, it might be an option.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. dvcdude

dvcdude Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2016
    Dave McKenna
    Actually, in Indiana at least, the basketball court itself is generally well lit. Set Auto ISO to 6400 max, go to aperture mode and take a light reading during shoot around to get your shutter speed. Change to Manual mode and set the shutter speed based on the reading you took in aperture mode. The light will be the same everywhere on the court, so shoot away.

• Like Like x 1
  13. isin

isin Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Ioannis Sinadinos
    I am shooting basketball games on weekends for greek basket league with EM1 and 40-150 f2.8 PRO. Ι used the 40-150 f4-5.6 R at the beginning but the result was not good.
    The only way to do it proper is to use 40-150 pro.

For settings i use S mode with 1/400s, f2.8 and auto ISO (max 3200). Most of the time, auto ISO used, is from 800 to 2000 because of the big lights in the court.
    Do not try less then 1/400 if you want crisp photos.

• Like Like x 1