1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Basic questions about the FL-600R (for the OMD)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by loko12345, Apr 22, 2013.

1. loko12345

loko12345 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 8, 2012
    Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a flash for my OMD EM5. I have little experience with external flashes (I basically have only used pop-up flashes in the past, with not so great results).

I have looked around for compatible flashes that appear to be somewhat easy to use with the OMD, and seems like the FL-600R stands out.

Would you recommend it? My main purpose would be to use it as a bounce flash to soften light and improve skin tones.

Would the FL-600R be difficult to operate for my intended bounce flash purpose given my lack of experience with flash photography? Or is it pretty straightforward?

Any examples of with/without bounce flash with OMD would be awesome.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I have three of the FL-600 flash and I use each of them for bounce as well as using them with the Gary Fong lightsphere collapsible with really nice results. I use the Mysets for my flash as well. One Myset is set up for outdoor fill flash and one is set up just for using flash indoors, it really works great. :2thumbs:

3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    It is pretty straigh forward. However, you still need to learn about flash to make your photos as good as possible with the flash. Makes little sense to get the flash and not learn how to properly use it. Of course I also think it makes little sense not to have a good flash.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    strobist.com is a good site to learn about the possibilities with flash.

the FL-600 works well and is easy to understand. The little flash that comes with the omd can be used to trigger the fl-600 off camera, which opens up lots of new possibilties.

K

5. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I can only second what everyone else here has already said about both the flash and the Strobist blogsite (look for his beginner section).

Whether you use the flash on camera or off, it performs well and is a good value. It's also lightweight and doesn't take up a lot of room in a camera bag.

6. Oldsubman

Oldsubman New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    Jim
    The FL-600R is the best option for you. It is very versatile, feature rich, easy to use, and totally compatible with the OMD. You can set it up for TTL Auto and shoot bounce with little knowledge, then grow your knowledge to take advantage of more advanced flash techniques. If you decide to purchase get the Sto Fen OM4X bounce diffuser. It's small and fits the FL600 perfectly. Works great for bounce. you can get it at B&H Photo or Adorama. I found mine in my local camera store.

7. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I'm just looking at this flash, is it possible to turn off the 'modelling light' on the front of the FL600R?

8. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    Yes, you can. Actually you have all kinds of options with the LED light on the front- I personally have it set to manual, meaning it only comes on when I turn it on.

I'm going to echo what everyone else has said- for bounce flash with an OMD, this is the best there is, period.

9. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Canada
    Brian
    Good flash for the price and as others have said, very versatile. My only complaint about is that in remote mode (off camera), that LED on the front flashing and as far as I know, no way to turn it off.

10. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    My Canon speedlites have a red light on the front which flashes when they're in slave mode, so it's probably normal.

11. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    Gaffer's tape :)