Basic questions about Ad200

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by DynaSport, Nov 9, 2017.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I am considering purchasing an AD200 kit like this one

GodoxAD200 Kit for Olympus & Panasonic Cameras
    GodoxAD200 Kit for Olympus & Panasonic Cameras

For the purpose of using for portraits. I have a tiny bit of experience using a single strobe fired from a pc cord on a Canon camera. I set everything manually by using test shots till I got it the way I wanted it. Very primative I know. Anyway, I’d like to try this again with a battery powered flash and more on camera control. Here are my VERY basic questions. I’ve never seen one of these units in person and I can’t tell how they attach to a light stand. Will I need something additional to mount the light on a stand.
    Next, I used to bounce my light off an umbrella. Is this unit powerful enough to do that and how would I attach the umbrella? Are there other light modifiers I should be looking at?
    Finally, is there another system I should be looking at instead of the AD200? I am trying to keep purchase price down, but I don’t want to end up regretting this purchase because it is low quality or won’t do what I need it to do. I want something I can learn and grow with and expand in the future.

Thanks
    Dan

2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    @DynaSport@DynaSport I own several Godox/cheetah/flashpoint flashes, including the AD200, and am very happy with them. One thing to note though is this is not a standard 60ws speedlight, it is a 200ws off-camera only light that fills several different lighting functions in a compact package. If you want a speedlight, something like the V860-o, TT685-o, or TT350-o might be better options. To answer some of your questions

Mounting on a stand: The kit comes with a very basic mount option that will also allow for an umbrella. Most people upgrade to something like the Godox S-type Bracket Bowens Mount as it will hold many different kinds of flashes AND will work with Bowens mount modifiers (very common, brand agnostic lighting mount) and pop-up/foldable softboxes. A 3rd option would be to look at the Godox AD-B2 which will let you take 2 AD200s, in barebulb mode, and combine them to a 400ws light (or a 200ws light on the same mount) with very usable modeling lights. ALL 3 of these will hold an umbrella.

Power: If you were using speedlights before, this is about 3-4 times more powerful than a full sized speedlight.

Other options: If you are looking for 1 system for both speedlights, location strobes, and studio lights with TTL and HSS, godox is really the only option. BUT, know that this is a new and very flexible system, and will have a few bugs, but that Godox is fairly good with fixing things via firmware update. If you just want Speedlights with TTL and/or HSS there are several other options you can look at including Metz, Nissin, Cactus, or even Pany/Oly and Profoto.

The Godox X1T-O is an ok trigger, but a new much nicer trigger should be released for m43 cameras in the next few months. Currently it's already out for CaNikon.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Thank you, this is the kind of information I am looking for. I have an Alien Bee brand 400 or 600 (I honestly can’t remember, I haven’t used it in 3 years) strobe, but it is not battery powered and is totally manual. I have triggered it via pc cord and cheap eBay triggers. I didn’t care for either option. I have a lot to learn about lighting, but it is hard to learn without lights to practice with.
    Thanks again for the info.

4. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    No problem, there are several here that shoot godox, so I'd suggest waiting for other input before making any big purchases. Also note that normally Adorama, Amazon sellers, and a few others all have big sales for godox gear on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, so it might be worth waiting a few weeks to order anything.

Of the lights currently out, I'd only be weary of the AD360 and AD600, as both are expected to be dropped or replaced with an upgrade early next year. They'll still work with everything in the system, just newer/better things are on the horizon. But that could also = really good deals on those units too.

For Triggers. I like the XT16, but it's manual only. The X1T is usable ttl/hss... but not very well thought out, which brings us to the currently being released XPro trigger line... that sadly isn't out yet for m43.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I own the AD200 and the X1T-O; it's important to note that while the combo is very, very versatile, your camera might limit usability - in particular, whether you can use the HSS capabilities of the flash depends on the camera's way of accessing HSS mode. I haven't (hopefully: yet) been able to make HSS work with the E-M10. But everything else, from fully manual to TTL, works as advertised. The flash is powerful and still surprisingly compact and light; I and my students have used it to shoot outdoor portraiture as well as indoors, single light - though they mainly used TTL (we had other setups with fully manual studio flashes and modifiers). Here's the setup I put together for "running and gunning" (the grip's a third-party item - it also fits on a light stand, the reflector/diffusor is the Godox AD-S1/S2 combo):
    AD200gripped.
    Works nicely. You also see the stand mount points, there are three of them. Handling can be done from the flash or from the controller; it's quicker with the controller's dial; there's also already a new controller with a bigger display and more features for the same price as the X1T. I use the flash mainly with my Nikon kit, but to be able to use it effectively with my much more portable Olympus gear is very welcome.

The flash can certainly be used with an umbrella - @Repp@Repp has already pointed out the necessary accessory here. It's sturdy and enhances the versatility of the combo, but it's also bulky. I love what the flash does on the go, handheld, but it'd definitely also at home on a stand or otherwise fixed (a good tripod also works - the unit is comparatively light). All in all, a capable, yet highly mobile.

M.

6. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    @MoonMind@MoonMind I've also had some hss issues as well with the GX8 (technically not a supported camera), though things are better with the X1T than with the tt350 or xt16 as triggers. So I'm hopping it's a firmware issue, but it might just be older tech in the shutter. Still, it's entirely usable for my purposes w/ the x1t, and everything but the zoom issue is great for on-camera work.

I've also thought of using a pistol grip or small monopod/stick with something like the Roundflash Dish for a fun little run-and-gun setup or maybe street portraits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Agreed; I'd say the S1/S2 combo and hand-holdability take some urgency out of the zoom issue as well - but of course, you lose some power. The pistol grip I have is a bit of a mixed bag - there's got to be a model that's more securely attachable. But with a bit of care and caution, it's a very usable setup; it's a bit ironic that I would have only my students' images to prove it at the moment (the rig was always out for the whole two days ... not a bad sign, I'd say).

M.

8. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Dan, your comment that you did everything manual with your Canon flash is an important one. Keep in mind that the TTL with Godox flash is evolving. While Nikon and Canon seems to be ironed out, Sony users are still complaining after almost a year about issues, as are now the Fuji and Oly/Pany shooters, witness the new thread about TTL and FEC underexposure in this forum.

Anyway I love the Godox system and have collected 8 of their lights over the last 3 years, but I shoot manual and have NO issues because of it. So my advice, even if you buy the AD200, which is TTL, is to learn to use it in manual. Even the simplest non-TTL trigger-XT16 will work.

The one negative to the AD200 is that it's LCD is pretty worthless outside, even in the shade. None of my other 7 Godox units have this problem. Also for Portraits, you should look at a 2nd light for a hair light, it can be the standard speed light type, I personally like the ones with the Lithium batteries, they work all day without worrying about batteries. But they are more $$ than the AA variety.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 11:32 PM
  9. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    The LI-ion battery V860ii-O versions are currently on sale at Adorama. I'm tempted to pick up 2 more copies... but I'm hoping the manual ones go on sale in a week or two, so that I can have 5 groups!
    Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2

10. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I'm not really expecting TTL from the flashes. I would like to be able to control the power from the controller on the camera, though. I had to walk over to the Alien Bee flash and move a slider that controlled power output. Not the most accurate way to control power and also not very convenient. But once set like you wanted it did a fine job.

11. SpecFoto

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    That is the beauty of the Godox system. The transmitter instantly changes the power setting on your flash without any fuss or menu diving. Oh, and that is one other negative on the new AD200, for some reason you can't get beep confirmation that the power level has changed. My 3 other types of Godox flash allow for this and it is a worthwhile feature.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Actually, on camera TTL/HSS works better than I expected it to, really spot on for me so far. Off camera TTL is good, and after reading how inconsistent TTL is to begin with, I was surprised but will still use manual for actual consistency. Off camera HSS works better with Oly after their flash firmware update earlier this year, it's decent on Pany, but not as consistent. The manual power options are absolutely on point, I love it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Oh, and with the new XPro trigger, you can start in TTL, then switch everything over at it's current power settings to manual to fine tune and keep consistent. I can't wait for the M43 version to come out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SpecFoto

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Hey Repp, your an expert on Panasonic bodies. So the Godox Pany/Oly flash TTL is a bigger problem on Pany bodies, could you expand a bit on that?

Also, I posted a thread in the Pany body forum but maybe you can quick answer here. I pre-ordered a G9, my first Pany body, but use the Oly Pro f2.8 zooms a lot. Over at Mirrorlessons they posted that the 40-150 f2.8 and some other Oly lenses focus much slower on Pany bodies. Has this been your experience with the 75mm f1.8?

15. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Lol, I'm far from being an expert, I'm just way too analytical for my own good and over research things. For Oly/Pany cross breading, I've only used a few Oly lenses extensively, the 75/1.8, 9-18, and 60mm macro, but I haven't had any issues on those. But it wouldn't surprise me if when used on the other companies bodies, they took a slight, but likely un-noticealbe to 95% of us, hit to speed.

As for Godox on Pany bodies, I'm using the GX8, which is not only not officially supported by godox, but is a problem child for several companies like Nissin and Cactus. I've heard the G85 and GH5 do not share the same problems, so maybe an issue with the shutter in the GX8? Equipment wise, I had no issues with the previous 433mhz or R1 systems, but was plagued with inconsistencies with the 2.4ghz system xt16 and tt350 as triggers to external flashes. The xt1-o gives me much better results, manual is 100%, TTL is fairly good, HHS is usable, but above 1/2,000 it gits a bit inconsistent.

16. SpecFoto

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim

Thank you for that Repp, it is helpful. With the new G9, yeah, I am not expecting that Godox will have TTL for a while. Another reason to continue to shoot in manual.
    :2thumbs:

17. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    On camera you’re likely fine. Off camera, if the g9 has the same shutter as the gh5, you’re likely ok.

If you want to buy me one I’ll gladly test it out for you and let you know :D

18. SpecFoto

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Ha Ha,

Hey I have been waiting a long time to update my original EM1's, I just didn't like the "more of the same" Oly EMI MK II upgrade. See this post if your interested.

I love my OMD Em1 II but.......

19. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'll read over it a bit more in the morning, as I'm running on a bit too much scotch at the moment. Though my general thought is that while Oly has always had the feature sets for more advanced stills photographic functions, Pany has much better menus and ergonomics. The + side to m43 is that we can have the best of both worlds! You only hurt yourself if you don't try both. The EM1ii is the first Oly body that's had me drooling after I played with a friends for about 30min... but just like the G9, it has many features at it's price point that I don't really need... so I've been waiting to see what the EM5iii has to offer as an addition to my Pany bodies.

20. SpecFoto

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    I had a EM5 MK II and frankly did not care for it at all. Compared to my EM1 the start up time was 3 seconds vs. less than 1 second and the battery life just sucked. The Nocticron AF hunted a lot too, most likely due to the lack of the PDAF focusing, plus having to add the horizontal part of the added grip meant there were more buttons on the already very crowded top plate. Yeah the Hi Res shot is OK, but truthfully it is more of a gimmick and I hope the Pany version in the G9 is greatly improved.

To me the the GX85 seems to be a better camera than the EM5 MK II, I certainly liked the ergonomics much better. But I added a 2nd EM1, almost new, <850 clicks, for about $600.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 4:18 AM