1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Basic question about Flash on E-PL1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Hyubie, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Hi all,

A very basic question, as I really have no idea. Can I buy a flash unit that will work on both my Canon Rebel XSi and my E-PL1? If there is such a flash, which ones are good budget options? Basic requirement is that the head (?) can at least be tilted to bounce off the light, and I intend to just mount it on my cameras (no off-body setup for me yet). :)

Thanks!

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If you want TTL ability, you will need to go with an olympus dedicated flash and a canon dedicated flash. None dedicated flashes are available, but everything is manual as there is now TTL exposure control.

But most the budget options non dedicated flash are not that good, like bower and vivtar. But the yongnuo 460 off of ebay are not to bad. Do not expect much customer support with most the none dedicated flash.

The only one where you get customer support are the metz C2.

For a dedicated flash, nissin and metz are good options for the olympus. I use metz for my canon system, and will be getting a metz 44 AF-1 for the epl-1

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No flash is going to support TTL functions of both Canon and the EPL1. Much of the communication between the camera and flash is proprietary.

(Well..maybe one of the Metz flashes with the personality modules.)

However, you can still sync these flashes with either camera.

If the flash itself has a means to meter (auto-thryster) then yes, you can set the flash to match your cameras (ISO and aperture) settings then fire away.

If the flash itself doesn't have the means to meter but allow for manual adjustment, then you can sync but you'll need to figure out exposure on your own.

If the flash doesn't have its meter nor manual adjustment, then most likely you are stuck at full power all the time (very limiting).

As far as I know, none of the Canon flashes have the means to meter on their own. They depend on TTL communication with the camera. The 580EX and the 550EX both have manual adjustment which is I used to use with other camera systems (figuring out metering with a handheld).

Judging from Page 16 of the Olympus FL-36R manual, it seems that this flash has a auto meter and manual.

• Like Like x 1