basic flash questions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by huai, Sep 8, 2013.

1. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    I am a starting hobbyist photographer. I have never used ano external flash and have some questions about it.

I have read tutorials about flash positioning for portraits, food, etc. That part I understand (in theory at least). I want to know how oly flashes will work with my camera before I run out and spend a few hundred bucks.

I have an EM-5. Does it have built in wireless communication with external flashes? How do I pair them? Do i have to manually configure the exposure info into the flash or will the camera do that for me?

Do I need to have a flash mounted on the camera in order to be the "commander"? Or will the camera be able to sync all external flashes without a commander mounted? If I need a commander, can the little flash that came with the camera do the job?

I would appreciate it if someone would give me a basic tutorial for a very simple external shot setup (e.g. 1 portrait light off to the side, and a fill light on the opposite side that is not as bright). I would probably opt for fl-600r or fl-30r. What considerations besides price should I think about?

2. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Sort of. The wireless ttl function works with the supplied mini flash. You can control the exposure +/- in camera in rc mode with the flash completely detached. However, the slave flash (600r or whatever) relies on optical triggers so you'll have to have line of sight or enough reflective surface to bounce the commander flash off of. The commander flash does not supply any light onto the subject so there isn't an option to use it as fill while in rc mode as far as I know. Perhaps if mounting a normal flash would this option be available, but I only have one to test it on, so my fl600r acts as a slave and my pop up flash acts as commander. The polyp flash must be mounted on the camera and popped up for the remote flashes to fire as they rely on an optical trigger for firing and ttl. The remote flashes have an rc setting available through the menu on the flash. Set it and go. If you need to adjust, there is a setting in the camera for each flash or each flash channel, depending. Definitely worth the couple hundred dollars, IMO.

If I recall, the Metz 58af2 works with the Oly and Panasonic remote ttl.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    For strobe photography TTL is not needed, TTL is used in uncontrolled occasions where you do not have the time to set the light correctly.
    Most strobist i know use use Yongnuo YN-560 that cost about 70$ on Ebay and standard radio remote. This flash plus the radio will cost you about 100$ total.
    Yongnuo is going to introduce in the near future a radio remote that will control the Yongnuo YN-560III remotely.

CONFIRMED – YN-560 III – Remote Power Control – with NEW Transmitter Coming! | FLASH HAVOC

YONGNUO YN 560III Flash Speedlite LCD Screen for Canon 5D Mark II 7D 600D 550D | eBay

4. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    Thanks for the explanation beanedsprout. How do I put the camera itself into RC mode so the polyp flash knows to act as the commander?

5. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    For which camera? Olympus OM-D, camera menu (2) at the bottom, RC mode on/off. Then half-press the shutter to go back to shooting mode, and press the OK button to bring up the wireless menu to customize how you'd like everything set up.

GH-3 Rec (first menu on the left at the top), page 4; Flash - Firing Mode - Wireless, then scroll to page 2 for Wireless channels, FP (high speed sync), page 3 for communication light and wireless setup menus.

6. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Although the OM-D controls might work for any other Olympus camera that has wireless TTL as an option, but I'm not too familiar with any of their other cameras. Perhaps the EP-5?