Basic avchd help please

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by blue, Jul 6, 2011.

1. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    So, I have some avchd clips (on a Sony cybershot as it happens but same standard on Panasonic).

I want to copy them onto normal (not bluray) DVD for family to play on their HD television.

1) What is best way to burn the files ?
    2) Will the "HD" be preserved ?

My knowledge of video is virtually non-existent so basic answers please. Google has been no help, either out of date or overly technical.

2. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Does the software that came with the camera offer the ability to burn to a DVD? Maybe blu-ray? Also, iIRC, DVD isn't HD, which is why we have blu-ray (and why it competed with HD-DVD).

3. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    There is picture motion browser with the camera, but apparently it is very awkward to use and I do not want it taking over all of my pictures already on the computer (an error I've made before).

4. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Not sure about Sony, but Panasonic comes with software that can burn the clips into DVD.. with quality degradation of course..

5. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I think the answer is you can probably either use the program that came with the camera or another program to convert it and then burn it to dvd or bluray but unless you use bluray you'll see lower quality.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    These days you've got quite a lot of options, depending on what formats their DVD-player can play ...
    We have a non-bluray upscaling DVD player which deals well with higher-than-DVD-resolution .avi files burned onto DVD disc as data files.
    So ... it gets complicated in name but simple in operation.

Try this first : burn your HD AVCHD file straight onto a DVD disc (I use ashampoo or burn4free cos I hate Nero) in your compootah, then get them to try it in their DVD player. Maybe it'll work, maybe not. You'll have wasted 20p (50p max) if it won't play.

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Are you using Windows, Mac, or Linux?

8. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I have Win XP on a fairly slow machine.

Sony software didnt work. Free downloads don't work

Basically I need to convert .mts to .mpeg, not that hard surely ? Yet I can't find a simple bit of software to do it.

Has anyone got a recommendation of software they have actually used for this ?

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
  10. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    That's what I use.

11. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK
    You've probably got the answer by now but I only joined today. Freemake (which is a free download) will do what you want.