BAS - Book acquisition syndrome

aukirk

Mu-43 Veteran
Already signed up... read the issue in browser on my iPad because it was “too big” to add to Kindle (apparently caps at 50 MB). Thanks for the recommendation...

Zairski

Mu-43 Regular
Already signed up... read the issue in browser on my iPad because it was “too big” to add to Kindle (apparently caps at 50 MB). Thanks for the recommendation...
I have all of the issues on my kindle. They just take a bit to download.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I bought a Photoshop book, the wife came back from shopping with another. Must get PS cc next month!

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
R0000242.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Got the pair of these for Christmas, and they're both wonderful. In fact, they kind of feel like companion pieces since they shared at least a part of their era and Kodachrome. Both are fine examples of early color photographers who really understood color in a way that I don't think we usually do as modern digital photographers with the luxury of hyper realistic color rendition. These guys composed for color, they really made it the centerpiece of their work. I want to study these books and hopefully learn something!

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I got a Kindle PaperWhite (PW) for Christmas. Because the Kindle for Win8 app on my tablet stopped working.
But I ran into a problem, I have over 20,000 books in my Kindle cloud library. The PW does not seem to function properly with a BIG library like that.

With 20,000+ books, I should belong to "books anonymous."
Actually, how this happened is simple, Amazon has "free" books. Some/many of these free books are only free for a limited time. So you gotta get it when it is free, or you have to pay for it later. So whenever I find a free book, I get it, then later decide if I want to read it or not. As a result, over time, you will end up with more and more of these free books. So, it is easy to end up with a large number of books in your library.
Yes, there are many free photo books.

Pros:
  • What is nice about Kindle is that I don't have to have bookshelves of books taking up a LOT of space.
  • An e-reader is easier to hold than a 500 page hardcover book.
  • Kindle books are usually cheaper (sometimes MUCH cheaper) than a printed book.
  • If you travel, a Kindle takes up a LOT less space than a stack of paperback books. Especially if you go on a long trip where you can expect to go through several/many books while sitting and waiting.
  • Unlike a tablet, a Kindle e-reader will run for MANY hours, so you don't have to go looking for an outlet to plug your tablet charger into. Remember how hard it used to be to find a free outlet at an airport, where people are plugged into every available outlet.
  • When traveling, if I forgot to download a book before the trip, if I can connect to a safe WiFi, I can download the book that I forgot (there are exceptions). Can't do that with a paperback book.
Issues:
  • Small screen: The Kindle e-readers are OK, but you are essentially reading a paperback book. As a result, the images are small. I sometimes have to use a magnifying glass to see the details of the images, because it can't zoom into the image. There have been times when I have to look at a book on the big monitor on my desktop Kindle app, just so that I can see the details of an image (chart, map, diagram, etc.). The 10 inch iPad is probably a better reading platform, for the larger screen. It is closer to a textbook in size.
  • The e-readers are monochrome, which is fine for text, but not very good for looking at photos. The apps that you can run on a computer will show color, if the book is in color.
  • Despite what Amazon/Kindle advertise, there is a practical limit to the number of books in your cloud library, beyond which you run into performance and operational issues. I would guess this is about 4,000 books, maybe less. The mobile app or e-reader performs better with maybe only 100 or 200 books downloaded onto it, the iPhone much less. I have less than 10 books on my phone.
    • If the app/e-reader does not have the "collections" function, it is harder to have many books on the app/e-reader.
  • From a software design POV, the Kindle environment was and is poorly designed and managed.
    • Functions on one platform may or may not exist on another platform. So while you can read the same book on multiple platforms, the user experience may be very different. :confused:
    • The various platforms do not sync together. Odds are, what you do on one platform, will not get to the other platform. :confused: The PC and Mac apps are stand-alone, they do not sync with the cloud or any other platform. :mad:
    • Lists that should be sorted are unsorted/random in order, making them difficult/painful to use. :confused: That is poor functional design, and poor programming.
    • There seems to have been little/no user interface testing. If they did testing, many of the problems that I have would have been found and fixed.
    • Library maintenance is more difficult than it should be.
    • etc.
  • Performance of the PW is sometimes painfully slow. It is slower than my VERY old Kindle2. If you have low expectations, it is OK. Whatever happened to tight FAST coding? Sigh.
As painful as it is to use, Amazon/Kindle is the 800 pound gorilla, and has become the default. Many of the other e-readers have disappeared.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I would not recommend any books that are model or software specific. They can be made obsolete by firmware updates, and most information can be found online (including via forums like this).
Two books that I bought (on Olympus and Panasonic bodies) are hopelessly useless now.

General photography/art books can be helpful to learn about theories or other photographers' techniques.
I enjoyed Ansel Adams biography, especially hearing about his adventures outside of the darkroom. His Examples is very good.

I automatically skip any book that devotes much space to equipment.

As for books, I've recently bought some on bird and wildlife behavior. Animal behavior does not change often, so even older books can be useful. Newer books that share newer research that can supercede older books.

I also enjoy travel and hiking non-fiction. Trail books, however, can be dangerous or disappointing if they are out of date.

I've found most of my recently purchased books on photography (including one by a popular Washington-based bird photographer) have not provided new useful insight.

However, I've not been happy with some recent Sibley (bird) books I've bought and will be returning them.

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I finally have a Fred Herzog book, Modern Color. Strangely, I was more moved by his very first book (the name of which I don't recall) which I borrowed from the library several years ago. I wonder if the photos were larger and not split over 2 pages in that first book? In any case, I haven't looked at all the photos in Modern Color yet. I've been trying to spend lots of time dwelling on each photo. Same with the essays. I was glad to read that he was a hip shooter for some of his people photos. It makes me feel a bit better about my cowardice when street shooting. ;-)

I prowl some of the same streets he did since we both photograph in Vancouver, BC, but they've changed a lot. Some neighbourhoods are much tonier now, while others are in severe distress. So I'm also enjoying seeing Vancouver from when I used to visit it as a little kid, and also from the years before. Sometime in the last ten years I saw a photo someone took of him walking along Main St. I think he had an X100 of some kind hanging from his neck.

Addendum: I found that photo of Fred Herzog.

fred herzog.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20210214_142806-01.jpeg
IMG_20210214_143048-01.jpeg

Two books from a second hand book store: the whimsically-titled Beady Minces by legendary photographer David Bailey, and a catalogue of realism painter Andrew Wyeth's work from a long-running exhibition. I particularly found their environmental portraits inspiring. Cross posted to the What photo related item did you buy this week thread.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
This book is a "must have" for everyone on this site!

Unfortunately, I don't have the book — just a scan of its cover.
I'm Not Buying Another Camera For At Least 12 Months, and other hilarious jokes you can tell y...png

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Snapped a shot of one of my bookshelves (this one is in the historic manuscripts section, I'll call it - though the conspicuous Nat Geo hardcover books don't belong here) with an archaic GF3 with the 12mm Lomography "experimental lens" and on-camera flash.

P1040254.JPG

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I used to buy every issue of Black and White Magazine, and its short-live counterpart Color, whenever I visited the bookstore, and they have provided much inspiration for my photography over the years. But now the magazine is not sold in store anymore, and subscribing to US magazines is very expensive in Canada, so around a year ago I started to look for new hardcover art/photography books in the clearance section of the store or on Amazon, $3 to $15 CAD each. Here are the ones that I found so far:

p4138863612-6.jpg

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I just picked up the Peterson Field Guide to Birds, copyright 2020.
It has all the newest models.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Here's some that just arrived today, still in their shrinkwrap:

p2442697985-6.jpg

Passing Through and Lightstream by Nigel Grierson - $16 CAD ($60 regular)
For Your Consideration by Gianluca Galtrucco - $18 ($92 regular)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom