BAS - Book acquisition syndrome

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
My wife just bought the English language version of the Henry Carrol book. It's perfect for beginners and others with no formal technical photography or compositional training. No wasted words and covers each topic in a couple of pages.
I would like to think I have the basics down pat, after pushing shutters on and off for 40 years, but this one seems different in a way I cant really explain. It is, as you state, very un-fluffy so I thought I should give it a spin. :thumbup:

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't have any interest in politics, but a review about this book caught my eye, so I ordered it from my library.

Callie Shell's foreword is lengthy, informative, and very enjoyable; her photo essay, made over eight years with the Obamas, shows real people, not just the highlights.

I was surprised by how small the book is (around A5 size, but quite thick at 224 pages). Most photos are accompanied by quotes from either Barack or Michelle, and are really thought-provoking.

This is exactly the kind of extended project I'd love to do - though not with anyone this important!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hope, Never Fear: a personal portrait of the Obamas by Callie Shell, 2019.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Gone a bit book crazy lately (which is a good thing). First one off the ranks (not strictly a Photobook)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

richardp

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Fellow bookaholics may enjoy "Rethinking Digital Photography" by John Neel. It's full of all sorts of crazy stuff like making pinhole lenses, tilt adapters, etc. This is the book that introduced me to M4/3 - for which I will be eternally grateful.

Amazon UK currently have it from £0.49 used.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom