BAS - Book acquisition syndrome

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Today the Postman brought these:
20190215_013132.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
Ah yes, changing bags, developing tanks, thermometers, dish warmers ( a bit upmarket for me , that last one ) developing fluid that stank the place out. Then the magic of watching your image come out on the paper, not taking it out too early or too late. Those were the days that.......
I don’t miss at all! :biggrin:
But I don’t mind reading about it.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I used to have the Time Life series of photography books, but they went before one of my moves overseas.
I thought they were very good, but that may just be nostalgia talking. Is anyone else here old enough to remember them?
I don't remember them when they were new but I have picked up a few of them second hand in the last couple of years. They came out around the time I first started photography, but I didn't really have BAS the first time I got into photography...

The Time Life ones are not particularly old, my copy of 'The Studio' dating from 1971, while one of my digital books on 'The HISTORY & practice of photography' dates from 1877 and a couple of the others were published before 1850.
My paper copies don't go back that far, but David Linton's 'Photographing Nature' is a 1965 edition, and I might have a few others older but less readily to hand.

Last edited:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
The old books are still worthwhile. Most deal with things that have not changed: the nature of light; human visual perception, etc.

IIRC, 2 are on film type things (Film & The Print) but even those have analogs in digital photography.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some more books were bought: Art in the Age of Mass Media (Walker), Daido Moriyama photophile, Concerning the Spiritual in Art (Kandinsky), The Minds Eye (Cartier Bresson) and a book of Lichtenstiens work.

Real Name
Richard
Some more books were bought: Art in the Age of Mass Media (Walker), Daido Moriyama photophile, Concerning the Spiritual in Art (Kandinsky), The Minds Eye (Cartier Bresson) and a book of Lichtenstiens work.
Hi Alex

What do you think of these books?

Richard

Walter

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Learning to See creatively (Bryan Peterson). Just pressed buy, I should finish Gordon Laing (In Camera) over the weekend.

Good book with great photos.
I pick from time to time the "classics" from my shelf ... Harald Mante, Hedgecoe, A. Adams, Feininger and the like.
Still endless material to learn from if one wants to improve one's photos.

Real Name
Richard
I recently read The Lesser Photographer by C J Childers. It is a collection of musings from his blog. A major theme is that buying more gear won't make you a better photographer (most of us know that).
He is also pretty sceptical about "how to" books and workshops. Everybody wants to improve their composition or whatever, so it's easier to make a living teaching photography than being a photographer.
Not sure I agree, but anybody wanting to cure their BAS may find this little book useful!

Walter

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
@richardp
"He is also pretty sceptical about "how to" books and workshops. Everybody wants to improve their composition or whatever, so it's easier to make a living teaching photography than being a photographer."

Books (about composition, colours, the "how to", etc.) are like maps ... they show you how to find your way.
The important thing is not to confound maps with the real world.

But you need to know where you want to be going before you start. Without knowing that, it's no wonder if you don't arrive anywhere ... in photography like in real life. ;-))

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
This threads dangerous! I've just added another 9 Time life books to my collection, just from following questions it's brought up.

Got this through my library - I like to try before I buy!
IMG_20190224_201419.jpg

Another from the library: Extraordinary Everyday Photography by Brenda Tharp and Jed Manwaring. Plateside reading.
IMG_20190321_192611-01.jpeg

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
I just added these to the pile, by actually enter a bookstore, shuffle through the photo section and pay over the counter... :cloud-9-039:

20190801_171124.jpg

The top and bottom ones are rather self-explanatory I gather, the bottom one is a translation and was on sale. The middle one is Volume 1 of the Norwegian Journal of Photography, and I had planned to pick up volumes 2 and 3 as well, but was detractred by the Vivian Maier volume so the latter volumes of NJP can always be had a later date. NJP is a rather interesting project, well worth a browse at: Norwegian Journal of Photography

Last edited:

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I haven't been keeping up on this thread, but if I did there would be several more posts, I've been acquiring in good quantity and for low $$ lately! I'll have to round up some of the recent stuff and take a few photos.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Interesting, if slightly random, purchase at the charity shop today (£3):
EDBA0A8A-1165-4A75-BD33-85804AFDD5AD.jpeg

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I just added these to the pile, by actually enter a bookstore, shuffle through the photo section and pay over the counter... :cloud-9-039:

View attachment 765197

The top and bottom ones are rather self-explanatory I gather, the bottom one is a translation and was on sale. The middle one is Volume 1 of the Norwegian Journal of Photography, and I had planned to pick up volumes 2 and 3 as well, but was detractred by the Vivian Maier volume so the latter volumes of NJP can always be had a later date. NJP is a rather interesting project, well worth a browse at: Norwegian Journal of Photography
My wife just bought the English language version of the Henry Carrol book. It's perfect for beginners and others with no formal technical photography or compositional training. No wasted words and covers each topic in a couple of pages.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom