BAS - Book acquisition syndrome

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think BAS is totally positive, or at least a lot less dangerous than GAS. Keeping a balance between how much cool stuff we own, versus how much we know how to use it and get the maximum benefit, is IMHO crucial to anyone in this forum, or anyone passionate in photography no matter what forum they prefer.

What are you guys reading, what are you recommending, what is the next photography book you are going to put on your shelf?

I'm reading Understanding flash photography (Bryan Peterson), too early to know if I'll recommend it or not. I found Understanding Exposure extremely useful, I'm a big fan of Bryan actually but I was disappointed by his Exposure Solutions that I found "more of the same" adding really nothing to his main exposure work.

Schwert

Mu-43 Regular
I love books too.
I have Gordon Laing's "In Camera: Perfect Pictures Straight Out of the Camera" under the tree. I peeked at it before wrapping, I think it might be a good one.

Probably one of my absolute favorites, from decades ago, was Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light". I credit this book for giving me a better eye...not with composition rules and camera tech, but from his ability to explain how he "saw" the photo before taking it.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I love books too.
I have Gordon Laing's "In Camera: Perfect Pictures Straight Out of the Camera" under the tree. I peeked at it before wrapping, I think it might be a good one.

Probably one of my absolute favorites, from decades ago, was Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light". I credit this book for giving me a better eye...not with composition rules and camera tech, but from his ability to explain how he "saw" the photo before taking it.
I love Mountain Light too. And as a result of this thread In Camera is heading this way too. BAS patient zero, or close enough!

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was a BAS infected book hound long before I acquired GAS so I immediately jumped at this thread when I saw it's title. Having said that, GAS may be the lesser of the two evils as the result of BAS can very quickly fill up shelves, rooms and eventually houses. In university days I would bring bags of "relevant" books home with me from booksales, used book shops and yard sales... and at one point had a few thousand books in my dorm room, stacked and double stacked on bricks and boards (before Ikea shelving. I have calmed down quite a bit since getting back into photography and now the shelves are beginning to look less like a library and more like a photo bag, lens and accessories repository.

I try and limit what I purchase in photo books... and am only marginally successful. Here is one by Lindsay Adler and Eric Valind that I could not resist. The title caught me... hook, line and sinker.

The content? "Let me help you avoid the pain and suffering of terrible images in terrible light! I will cover the Top Ten Worst Lighting Situations... and how to conquer them!" ~ Lindsay Adler

It's really not a bad read. Available on Amazon, Chapters and other fine BAS sites.
ShootingInShittyLight.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
"Mastering portrait photography" (S. Platte, P . Wilkinson) just accidentally fell into my amazon cart. I actually picked the Italian edition, here it's marketed as part of a National Geographic "mastering photography" series.

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
I love books and I have always enjoyed reading. I have hundreds of books.

As for photography books I have quite a big collection of monographs of authors I like or who I can learn something from. I have a big varied collection from the perfection of Ansel Adams to the gritty photography of William Klein. I cannot resist a good photo book

Studying the works of other photographers is a great learning tool.

I have acquired over the years quite a few technical books and books on composition. A little book by Andreas Feininger, the Principles of Composition was a fundamental book for me. Many of the film era books are now obsolete, but I do not have the heart to get rid of them. The technical books by Langford are very good.

I have the classic Adams trilogy: The camera, The Negative and The Print, great books in their time but not much use now. I suppose they might be a collector’s item now.

I have offbeat books like “The pleasure of good photographs” by Gary Badger or The Practice of Contemplative Photography: Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes by Andy Karr on Miksan photography that I hope have broadened my horizons.

I have lots of local guide books that I use to scout locations and interesting places to visit.

The book is still the best way of learning about something for me.

TassieFig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm getting Peter Dombrovskis/Bob Brown - Journeys into the Wild for X-mas :dance4:
Dombrovskis.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Journeys into the Wild

My photographic hero who inspired me to really explore my adopted home, Tasmania.

The other day I walked into a shop that had a HUGE "Rock Island Bend" print on the wall. It took my breath away. I thought I've "seen" it before but never like that. Some stuff is meant to be seen printed and preferably *large*. Books are more convenient though.

Last edited:

Schwert

Mu-43 Regular
Is it available for other Oly cameras?

Young's EM1 (mark I) book is good...I bought the Kindle version but regret it...actual book would be easier as a reference...though having the e-book is nice for travel...so I guess both is what I really need. Initial read set my EM1 up, recent reread fine tuned a few custom button sets and a myset. I think these sorts of books are good overall as you enter into a new system.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is it available for other Oly cameras?
Looks like they just published the EM1 mii edition in August of this year as well... his (Young's) previous authoring was in quite a number of Nikon models so perhaps he has made the sensible switch to mu-43 and will be authoring more in the Olympus line as they are introduced.

I agree with @Schwert as well. I have other versions of books in eformat but am glad I picked up this one in hard copy as I find them easier to reference... while at home at least!

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just closed Understanding Flash Photography, want to share my two cents on the book.

The thing I liked best: it's a comprehensive book, covering the use of flash without giving anything for granted. Ideal for a beginner: it starts from GN, aperture and distance and then touches everything else. Fill-in flash, bounce flash, HSS, rear curtain sync, on camera/ off camera, diffusers, gels. Bryan is Bryan, little theory, tons of examples. Every picture in this book is provided with and without the use of an external flash, I think most of the examples are very effective in summarizing the lesson he wants to give.

The thing I liked less: he keeps referring to his SB-900, and to it's integrated distance/aperture scale functionality. My godox TT350o has nothing like that, in Manual mode I need to do the math myself, and eventually reduce the flash power. I believe my Godox is better than me in evaluating the flash-subject distance, so I hope he will add a bit more on using Flash in TTL mode. Current edition has exactly 1 page on that.

I'll start In Camera later today, or tomorrow. In the meanwhile I received an unexpected xmas gift, that adds to the unread pile: Photographers Mind.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom