1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bargain GH2 - worth it?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mftlandscaper, Feb 6, 2013.

1. mftlandscaper

mftlandscaper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    I currently have a GX1. I love the image quality, but sometimes find it too small and would like a second body with better ergonomics.

I have just spotted a brand new GH2 for sale (with kit lens) at a reputable store near me for £459 (UK). It's the last one in the store, hence the special offer. I was previously looking at the GH3 or G5 as possible purchases, but now I'm tempted by what looks like a bargain on the GH2.

I've researched the GH3 and like what I see (apart from the £1200 price tag), but don't know much about the GH2.

Any advice? Would you buy a GH2 in preference to a G5, given that the GH2 is actually slightly cheaper?

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The GH2 is a great camera but if you intend to shoot only stills the G5 is better tuned for it.
    In term of body the GH2 has more control.
    The G5 has a better LCD and it is smaller.
    If you buy on EBAY there are cheaper offers there.
    Both camera are great and the differences are not huge.

3. mftlandscaper

Feb 6, 2013
    Thanks for the insight. I'll only be shooting stills, but I am attracted by the extra external controls on the GH series (particularly the AF mode switch, which sadly is absent on the G5) and superior ergonomics compared with the GX1.

I'm not in a hurry, so I may just start saving money for a GH3 and hope the price drops in the mean time.

4. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    The main thing to know about the GH2 with stills is that you want to shoot in RAW. It's JPEG engine, for whatever reason, is pretty lacking. The data is there, though, and the RAW images are very usable with anything like Lightroom and it's ilk.

I love mine, and wouldn't sell it for the price of a new one now, but if you're close to a GH3 I'm sure it's improved and would be worth the stretch. However, the original question was whether the GH2 was worth the asking price? I'd say so - definitely.

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    It will take time for the GH3 to drop in price. The release cycle in the GH line is two years. The price drop will happen only in about 1.5 years, unless Olympus or a new company will introduce a pro-body. The AF mode selector and the drive selector are the g2 features I miss in the G5.

6. mftlandscaper

Feb 6, 2013
    Understood. I always shoot RAW and process in Lightroom, so JPEG quality isn't an issue for me. The JPEG output from the GX1 also leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

7. mftlandscaper

Feb 6, 2013
    I wish Pana would introduce a mid-range model (between the G5 and GH3) with external controls (focus and drive modes) but without the alloy body and pro video features. There seems to be a gap in the lineup for a something like this. I switch focus modes frequently and hate fiddling with the buttons.

8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The G2 had all the godies in term of control, they dropped most of them with the G3. In the G5 they have returned some and added the front lever, maybe in the G6 they will bring back them all.
    I do not see that Panasonic will introduce additional body range, they already got 4 bodies types with overlapping features.

9. Loonylumix

Loonylumix Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 30, 2012
    England
    IMHO Get the G5 and a top lens like the 25mm the 35-100 or 12-35 for the price of the GH3 body only ... the lenses will lose far less than the GH3 which will be half price in 18 months or so

10. mftlandscaper

Feb 6, 2013
    I already have a nice set of lenses (7-14, 12, 25, 45mm and others), so I'm really only in need of a second body!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Loonylumix

Loonylumix Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 30, 2012
    England
    Wait till the G5 is reduced... wont be long...
    I have second bodies I rarely use, but the GF1 takes some beating and you can get them for £100!

12. mftlandscaper

Feb 6, 2013
    Well, I'm a sucker for a bargain. The final price for the GH2+14-42 kit was UK £429 and I couldn't resist it. Once I've sold the kit lens on fleabay for £50 or so then that's a brand new GH2 body for £379 - can't argue with that!

Have to go out and familiarise myself with my new toy now! ;-)

13. DankoBanana

DankoBanana New to Mu-43

Feb 25, 2013
    does the store have an online site? I'm looking to buy a GH2 and that sounds like a bargain

14. mftlandscaper

Feb 6, 2013
    I'm afraid it was a one-off 'open box' special - the last one in the store. It's gone now and they won't be getting any more. Incidentally, the store I bought it from was the UK electrical chain Currys.

I hope you find another for a good price - it's a lovely camera.

15. machinez

machinez New to Mu-43

Feb 11, 2013
    Got a GH2. Rocks compared to GH1. Much better low light. No vertical banding. Not sure if the price is justified for GH3 yet