1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Banning detachable lens cameras at the Olympics

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by foxtail1, Jul 30, 2012.

1. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
  2. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn

Funny you should mention this....two weekends ago I attended a Dave Matthews concert in Tampa, FL. We know someone who works with the band, and we had very good seats ( lounge passes). Anyway, the rules said absolutely no cameras with detachable lens at the concert. I really wanted to take the Olympus OMD-5. I put it in a small bag...chose the 45mm on it...had no other lens in the bag...nothing else, and turned the camera away from the lens release button...security looked in the bag and let it go without questioning it! Now I know the security at the Olympics is much more restricitive, and much better---but, I was so happy I could take the camera I wanted to take.

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yeah, a lot of sports and entertainment venues have similar rules. But their enforcement is often a bit subjective. In many cases, the overall camera/lens package size is the deciding factor. If it doesn't strike the security guy as being professional you can often get through. But there's always a risk he'll say no. Many MLB parks in the U.S. simply have a size rule that keeps out long pro lenses. But I've gotten into Citizens Bank Park, home of the Philadelphia Philles, several times with my Pentax K200D with the 18-250mm zoom attached. The lens is fairly compact when closed. I've seen a number of other DSLRs there as well.

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm not going, but if I were I'd be pretty bummed if I couldn't take my m4/3 gear to the Olympics. Naturally my first thought would be the chance to get some great photos! I feel like what they really mean by rules like this is "no SLRs" and don't bring in your portable photo studio - but it'd be pretty awful to have to find out at the gate you're out of luck.

The whole thing seems kind of a moot point in terms of "leaking" footage/photos to me. Ok, so no ILCs are allowed, but somebody can easily just pack a high end travel zoom or P&S camera and still grab more than decent shots or video.

I feel like a legitimate concern is more practically based... the difference between photogs and other people is that most people with a P&S will just snap a quick shot from wherever they're seated/standing and move on. If you care about photos, you're going to want to move around, take your time framing shots and so on. For a lot of events, this translates to getting in the way, jockeying over who gets a chance to photograph from a specific spot and that sort of stuff. And if you don't have photo gear rules, *someone* will be that guy who fires off giant flash units, sets up a huge tripod in the middle of a walkway, and just generally goes way over the top annoying people to "get the shot". I can see how that would be a concern, especially at an event like the Olympics.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tigermanrocks

tigermanrocks New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2011
    As someone who went to Wembley last night I can confirm that as with most of the camera stories in advance of the olympics this is rumourmongering just to get people to read that website. The quotes tell you nothing - Wembley say we will deal with things sensibly, LOCOG say if you are not sure dont bring it. Thats the basis of the story.

I walked in with a small camera bag containing epl3, oly 40-150 and pana 20mm. Security didnt even ask to open my bag. If you are not shooting with legacy glass, as a m43 camera owner this should be of no issue. Just think that you are supposed to be at a sporting event not a photo shoot and that others might be hacked off with a huge lens over their shoulder and react accordingly.

The Road cycling at box hill was a different matter - saw a lot of >30cm long L glass and even some people arriving with ladders/small scaffold but it still wasnt an issue.

Fact is the athletes are the main sporting feature but remember a lot of the interest comes from the characters and reactions of the crowd

• Like Like x 1
  6. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I went to a Tangerine Dream concert a couple of weeks ago and they wouldn't let me take my EPL-1 with kit lens and EVF in, said it was too professional looking, I told the guard to tell the SLR crowd that!

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    seriously... buy silly hello kitty type stickers and put them on your camera(just until u get in, then quickly remove them and act serious)
    it works.

8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    It warms my heart to know there are still Tangerine Dream concerts.

9. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    They played for 3 hours and it was a wonderful experience, they play a lot in Europe, back on subject they said at the opening no photography or video recording I think it was the venue I don't think TD cares.

10. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it too much as there have been issues with security at the olympics as the company that suppose to provide it could not get the staff. Be sensible and there should be no problems. if you take a great big DSLR with a birding lens, don't be surprised if they turn you away.
    One could ask what about bridge cameras?

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Why take a camera bag at all? Just wear a jacket with big pockets, body in one pocket lens in another.

12. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    ^^this!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I posted a while back about my experience at the Hollywood Bowl here in the States. They do a bag check of every single bag you bring. They saw my GH2 and 14-140mm lens and asked me if the lens could be removed. Once I said yes, they told me I could not bring the camera in and I had to deposit it for the duration of the event and pick it up after. PITA.

14. p.h

p.h Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    Have you read the article you link to?
    It isn't those visiting the Olympics, it's those visiting the few events at Wembley. All the other venues have a policy that restricts cameras to 30cm.

15. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I was at a concert at the Shepherd's Bush Empire (a major London venue) a couple of months ago, took my G3 with Minolta MD 50mm f1.2, was snapping away happily, a security guard came up to me and asked if my camera had a detachable lens. I said no, twice, and he went away. :mad::rolleyes::biggrin::wink:

• Like Like x 1
  16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm not understanding what the issue here is...?

On the one hand, "we" complain that we don't receive the respect of DSLR owners and the respect of a system equal to if not better than some DSLRs. Then, when we get treated with the same equality as DSLR owners, now "we" are complaining.....

17. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk

i think what "we" are complaining about is: we don't receive the respect of DSLR owners

YET

at the same time, we are not allowed to take pics at the olympics...:frown:

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Going to have to disagree a bit with you here. In the online Nikon community that I belong to, there are MANY Nikon DSLR owners whom have purchased Micro Four Thirds bodies - and quite a few of them own more than one to include the OMD. Don't believe me, just ask Jonathan F/2 - he belongs to that same community. :smile:

19. p.h

p.h Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    YES YOU ARE, except at Wembley, which has always had it's own rules.
    If anything the Olympic rules favour M4/3- no cameras longer than 30cm.

20. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    both good news for me. thx!!:smile: