Banishing photo story

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MoebiusStreet, Apr 7, 2016.

1. MoebiusStreet

MoebiusStreet New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2016
    I'm a newbie here from the DSLR world, having just bought an EM-5 ii. I'm trying to grasp the complexity of the camera's configuration, and I'm finding that mysets are pretty powerful.

And on the other hand, I'm shocked at what a waste of hardware controls to have photostory on the mode dial.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether it's possible completely banish photostory, replacing it with something more useful - say, an Aperture priority HDR mode. I'm thinking it would be nice to store the settings for that (the bracketing I'd prefer, a default Aperture, etc.), and assigning it to that spot on the mode dial. So when I rotate the dial to that position, the silly photostory thing doesn't come up at all, it just works as a normal mode, with the setting I stored for it.

I guess I don't fully understand yet the concept of relating a myset to a mode. But I'd sure love to be able to use the photo story spot more productively (and, to a lesser degree, Art and Scn), with tweaks of the normal PASM modes so that I could stay out of the menus.
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    Yes, you can do that quite easily. But before you try to do that, learn how to store a useful Myset. (And make a Myset of your normal settings.) Once you are sure you can switch between them OK using the menus, assign the special Myset to that position on the mode dial.

Note that when you save a Myset it remembers which PASM mode you are in, and it remembers your shutter speed and aperture (as applicable). As well as lots of other settings.

I recommend you read the manual.
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
  4. NY Gadget Guy

NY Gadget Guy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    The menu system is a bit hard to comprehend since you get 6 settings to a screen. It's like trying to read a novel through a straw.

I found it was easier to wrap my head around the settings by starting with the spreadsheets from:; How to setup, configure and customise your OM-D E-M1.

You can see lots of settings at the same time and can start to piece together how they interrelate. Plus you can make notes to yourself.