Bang per Buck, Pop per Pound, Excellence per Euro: Lens / Lolly ratio

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, yes, but IMO that kind of question isn't asked here enough.

Well two thoughts on that.

1) if a poster specifies they would like a certain feature, why do we need to grill them to see if they really will use it?

2) Most of the time when people question the original poster's desires it is heavily biased by what those answering people feel is important or not-important to themselves even when the feature was specifically inquired about. 🤷‍♂️

Now if you want to suggest an alternative and point out something like "but keep in mind that one won't give you weather sealing you asked about" that to me seems fine. Where as grilling someone about what they need or trying to tell them they may not need something to me comes across as a bit, ummmm, condescending or rude.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
1) if a poster specifies they would like a certain feature, why do we need to grill them to see if they really will use it?
I don't think we do. It is appropriate IMO to ask, though, when the OP asks for something like "the best IQ/Cost ratio." Or, commonly, "what lens should I buy?" sans any description of how this theoretical new lens will be used.

2) Most of the time when people question the original poster's desires it is heavily biased by what those answering people feel is important or not-important to themselves even when the feature was specifically inquired about.
Of course. That, I think, is part of what the psychologists call "projection." Normal and predictable.

Now if you want to suggest an alternative and point out something like "but keep in mind that one won't give you weather sealing you asked about" that to me seems fine. Where as grilling someone about what they need or trying to tell them they may not need something to me comes across as a bit, ummmm, condescending or rude.
Maybe we differ on that. If someone tells me that his only use for his photos is Facebook and images printed in a Shutterfly book, then asks "What is the best IQ lens?," is it condescending or rude to tell him that his kit lens is just fine or that, for telephoto, any of the lowlier choices will be entirely adequate? Or should I tell him how to waste some money by recommending the latest unobtanium monster lens?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
From the OP

I've been thinking of buying an AF longer lens for a while, and now I have the E-M1 obviously I can use the older 43rds lenses with an adapter because they will focus properly on the E-M1. Funds are a little tight what with the whole self-employed / COVID situation, so I was wondering what you lot reckon would provide the best IQ/Cost ratio?​
. . .​

Thoughts and expereieces much appreciated. And if anyone knows of a 3rd party 43rds apater that is also weather sealed that'd be fab - all the ones I can find aren't sealed, and the Olympus ones are obscenly expensive for what they are, but as the 50-200 is sealed and the E-M1 is too, it'd be nice to have a sealed 'unit' if possible.
End quote

From the OP's post, I see 3 requirements:
  • Auto focus long lens.
    • How long is not stated. But since he is looking at a 50-200, so 200mm +/-.
  • Low cost
  • Weather sealed, if possible.
    • Weather sealing is desired, but not a requirement.
As @oldracer said, there is no use case stated, so we cannot evaluate lens (focal length and weather sealing) to his shooting need.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom