Bang for Buck Lens to adapt 55~100 range

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tjdean01, Jun 10, 2014.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I think I'm going to try out the $100 Roxsen focal reducer. I tried out an old 35mm film camera with lenses that I currently use on m4/3s and I must admit I love the blurred background look. I know Rokinon makes a great 85/1.4, and I'm tempted by the price and quality. I'm assuming it's sharp wide open too, right? I'd end up with a 60mm f1, which will beat nearly everything in background blur (except a FF 85/1.4, 300/2.8, etc). The best thing is this whole get-up will cost me under $350! Problem: I don't like the size or shape of this lens. So, what are the alternatives? If the Rokinon is blowing everything else out of the water in terms of image quality at f1.7 I'll do it, but if there's another smaller lens, I might be interested. I know there are a few canon, Nikon, Olympus, Konica, etc that are in the 55-58 range and are f1.2. I wonder how, when stopped down to f1.4, they compare to this Rokinon?

Why do I want this?
    • I'm not going to be running around using 35mm film
    • The full-frame Sony A7 is $1600 and then I'd have to buy lenses, which, since I'd want something from a 90 to a 135mm f2.0 or so, I'd be paying a $300+ for a lens too, and then it would be pretty large
    • m4/3s bokeh machines, the 42/0.95 and 75/1.8 would be small and super sharp lenses, but 42 is a touch too short and 75 is a too long. I'd want both; at $800 each
    • APS-C cameras would give me a stop, sure, but the systems, IMO, fail to m4/3s in all but sensor size. Plus this would cost some bucks

I can't have them all, obviously, but here's what I want:
    • The sharper at lower apertures, the better
    • The smaller the lens is physically, the better
    • I'd like to keep the price under $500 or so
    • Must be in a mount I can use with the Roxsen

Since it's so cheap, I think this is a great option for me. At $400 I could pull the trigger this week! Give a few lenses that are good, sharp, small, fast, and cheapish and I promise I'll give you great sample shots. Thanks! You're saving me a lot of money here!
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Your thread is the reason I want one! :wink:
  4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    50/55/57mm f1.2 lenses are usually $400 and up on flea bay. Last time I looked, the Konica 57mm f1.2 had several BIN prices of $700+. Takumar is probably even more. Recently a gent complained in another forum for missing out on a $400 price for a Takumar 58mm f1.2 that had been sitting in a camera store for a long while. I would say in this class of lenses, its becoming very hard to get a bargain.

I have seen great results with the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 on the Metabones Speedbooster. Yes, sharp wide open. Yes, large compared to the smaller m43 bodies. Only complaint is that the bokeh is somewhat boring and plain.

In the end f1.2 and f1.4 lenses are going to be on the large size. Thats just the nature of the physics. I'm not aware of any such lenses for Nikon DX, ie cropped sensors that you could adapt.

If you are willing to sacrifice your burning need for shallow depth of field and look at f2 and f2.8 lenses, a huge world suddenly opens up :)