Banff & Jasper National Parks using Olympus 9-18mm

Muggie

Mu-43 Regular
Eric I was born in Banff and you've just made me sooooo homesick! Thanks for sharing your photos. They are glorious!!:biggrin:

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Yeah, great stuff. All are very well done. 3-4 of them are really breathtaking.

I stayed in one of the campgrounds up around Jasper about 25-26 years ago with my (now) wife. We had black bears walking through the campground. Fortunately we had a Ford Econoline we could sleep in instead of the tent. People were waaaay too comfortable with the bears in those days - it was NOT a good idea.

-Ray

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Wow Eric, what an amazing location - thanks for sharing... some stunning images there!

Cheers

Brian

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice job on Consolation and Louise oris, especially the golden hour shots. What did you use for the long exposures as camera support? Do you go there often?

Bokeh D

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Went there a few years ago, remember all those spots! I think we stayed in that campground too (looked like the gate at one of the Lake Louise spots); we also stayed a night up in Jasper. Great Panos too - one of those spots it is hard to miss getting great shots (you did them great justice!).

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
Nice job on Consolation and Louise oris, especially the golden hour shots. What did you use for the long exposures as camera support? Do you go there often?

Bokeh D

The Velbon tripod, Arca-Swiss P0 levelling head, and custom L-bracket that I described a while back here: https://www.mu-43.com/f67/tripod-head-review-velbon-ultra-maxi-l-arca-swiss-p0-head-2037/

I haven't been there in about 20 years, it's about a 10 hour drive from where I live near Vancouver. The high altitude means weather can change on an hourly basis, and lots of clouds! I'm already thinking of returning in the Fall, after the stampede of tourists in the summer. One campground I stayed at near Jasper, called Whistlers, is the largest campground in North America. It has 781 spaces and is often full in the summer. It has 25.5 km ( 15.3 miles) of internal roads!

hikeabout

New to Mu-43
This is a very timely post, and a good time for my first, as I'll be in Banff and Jasper on a backpacking trip in August, and I just bought an e-pl1 to bring along with me. Your pictures are really getting me psyched now.

I just have the 14-42 kit lens, but thinking others might be in order. The 9-18 seems pretty great for those expansive landscapes, but I don't want to spend the money if the kit lens will be good enough. A longer zoom may also come in handy so I don't have to get too close to any interesting critters that may want to eat me. I'm intrigued by the idea of finding cheap used manual lenses and adapters, but it doesn't seem like there are many options on the wide end given the crop factor, but perhaps more on the long end. Weight and bulk are also somewhat of a concern since I'll be lugging my gear through the backcountry for most of the trip. So any suggestions on lens choices?

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
The stats show that of the 40 pictures, 25% was using the 9-18 at the 9mm setting. The Oly is small and light - I highly recommend it. For example, if you want to take Peyto Lake in one shot, you need 9mm!

flyby

Mu-43 Regular
Eric..absolutely stunning pics. Well done. I've got to take some of your tips and put them to use. Greatly enjoyed..thanks for posting!

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Very nice Eric, I especially like the long exposures and HDR. Very nice use of the 9-18. I am planning a trip to Banff and Jasper next summer. Thanks for the inspiration.

Locster

Mu-43 Regular
I registered just to say how amazing Banff looks. Your photos convinced me to add it to my "gotta visit" list.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Very nice work .. spectacular scenery, waterfalls and skies.
The captures of the fast water shows your skills I liked the effect very much.
Well done....:smile:
I've just posted an album on Picasa from my trip last week to Banff and Jasper National Parks in Alberta, Canada. Of the 40 pictures, 10 were taken with the new tiny Olympus 9-18mm lens!

I also put in a plug for mu-43.com in one of the picture's captions : )

Here is the link:

Picasa Web Albums - oris642 - Banff June 2010

Enjoy!

Latest threads

Top Bottom