1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Banding is a problem on the GX7 with Panny 20mm

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pisanoal, Oct 24, 2013.

1. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    I just got my GX7 yesterday and took it out today to play. I love the camera so far but this was a bit disappointing.

Banding (1 of 1).

This was shot with the panny 20mm v1 wide open at 200 ISO, and 1/160th of a second. I shot some other photos at much faster shutter speeds without issue. Does anyone know if this is still an issue with verison II of this lens? I love this lens, but not if its going to cause me to miss pictures... I'm not sure i like the idea of the Oly 17mm or the panny leica 25. I love the FOV of the 20. Unfortunately if this is still an issue with the second version, i think ill have to try the others. Its interesting that panasonic would release a camera that basically is not compatible with one of its lenses, especially since this lens is offered in a kit. I'm hoping since they offer version 2 in the kit, that it doesn't have this issue.

Edit: I also just realized that this was shot with the electronic shutter. Not sure if that would have made the difference or not.

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    This is quite possibly an interaction of the electronic shutter with the fluorescent lights.
    Looks like the color balance is moving around between the stripes.
    Rudy

3. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    I'll try to do some testing either tomorrow or Saturday and see if that is the case.

4. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Yea, this doesn't look like the typical banding that is normally experienced with this lens and the newer 16mp sensors.

5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    It's this. The electronic shutter scans the image over time and doesn't expose the sensor in one go. Try it with 1/160th with the mechanical shutter and these artefacts will go away.

6. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Yep, it's the silent shutter mode with the fluorescent light. To avoid it, if your in the US or japan try 1/60s or if in Europe, 1/50s and all multiples of that...

7. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I had the same experience when using the electronic shutter under CFL lighting. If you look carefully through the viewfinder you'll see the banding in real time. When I switch back to the mechanical shutter I don't see the banding.