Band Promo Shots on E-PM1

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by AdamThirtle, Feb 22, 2012.

1. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    These are from a few sets I shot today for a band's promotional use. Would love to hear what you think.
    • Like Like x 6
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I like them all, Adam. Nice composition and processing.

The last one does remind me, though, of the movie Almost Famous where the band is upset about their new t-shirts that only show the lead guitarist in focus:

Russell Hammond: Can we just skip the vibe, and go straight to us laughing about this?
    Jeff Bebe: Yeah, okay.
    Russell Hammond: Because I can see by your face you want to get into it.
    Jeff Bebe: How can you tell? I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys.
    (quote pulled from IMDB)

I kinda like the image even more, if that is what you guys were going for...
  3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    What's your PP workflow to get this look?
  4. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Ha ha! I just watched this recently! I hadn't thought about it at the time, but they did ask for one with the focus on their vocalist.

Thanks a lot
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I like them all as well. The processing you either did or didn't do gives the images a film-like quality. My only critique would be that I think the first image would benefit from all the band members looking in the same direction, but its still a cool image.
  6. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Photoshop, Nik and then it was one of the film effects, removed the grain, uped the exposure and took away some contrast.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I like the first one, but the direct shot of the lamp is intense. Could be hidden just providing light. Also, if all the band members were looking elsewhere with just the singer focusing on the camera...

"Let me lead you out of this dark basement of obscurity..."

Oh deep.

Third one is my favorite. I like how the frontman (in this case front-woman) is in the right amount of focus to rep the band.

My two tuppence worth.
  8. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Nice - what's the band?

I like the first one a lot (although if I may be constructively critical?) the black cord could maybe have been gaffa taped/moved to the side if possible so it did not cover the guys face.

The background on the middle one is also a bit distracting (the stuff leaning up against the bricks).

But all in all a great job - I love the tone and colour of the first and last ones too.
  9. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks for all the comments and critique. Plenty of helpful comments which I think 'why didn't I think of that at the time' but it's all learning isn't it! This was my first go at group portraits so to speak and I am quite pleased with the results.
  10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice! I prefer the first and last. The middle one is fine but just not very interesting.
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    First and last could easily be album cover shots. The cord would be easy enough to clone out.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Nice shots! I definitely like the coloring of each photo.
  13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The first is my favorite concept/approach but maybe it's not the best because of how the light/shadow hits their faces. #3 is nice too but maybe the background members are a little too out of focus - although I get what you are going for!
  14. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    For real, good job Adam. Nice job working the tones and color treatment.
  15. wildcat

wildcat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    The shots have a nice feel to them, especially for their purpose.

Love the concept behind the first one, but like others have said, the power cord is distracting, as is the fact that two people are looking at the camera and three aren't. Not everyone has to be looking the same way, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

The positioning of the boombox and the chairs in the background are distracting in the 2nd one. The fact that everyone in this shot except the girl is looking at the camera is an example of what I just said about it being workable to have folks looking in different directions. While this could have come out looking like she just was distracted during the shot, it doesn't. Her lookaway works. And it parallels the fact that there are 4 males and 1 female. It adds interest to the shot, but not in a distracting way. However, I think this is the weakest shot of the 3 conceptually...and note that the other 2 use depth of field to help isolate the subject, while this one really doesn't, and as a result, you have the distracting background and foreground.

Last shot is the best of these 3. Good concept, good execution. I think the use of a shallow depth of field here was a good choice. The guys are still recognizable, it makes the shot interesting, and you've got the natural focus of attention up front and center. If I had one criticism, it would be that placing some of the guys so far back, especially the one on the left, almost creates confusion as to whether they're with the group or just bystanders. But I don't think it's a big deal here, especially in a well-defined genre like band promotional shots.

Nice work. The more of these you do, the more you'll catch those little details that can take a good concept into a great shot.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I like the First and the third one. The Girl is the best feature of that bands image. You should take some more and make sure , like those two i mentioned, you have the girl more prevalent and a focal point of the photographs. Because the second shot you don't see her too well
    Now Looking at the second photo with those other guys makes me worry that they are gonna eat all my food borrow my car, use up all the gas and end up staying at my house for a week. Also if i had any weed I'd worry they would smoke it all on me what i was out and emptying my fridge.

I also think the last shot is the best in terms of composition. The 1st was interesting but wasn't sure what you were trying to convey.
  17. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    I like the last one best. My personal opinion is that the first one is cliche - extreme overhead angle, bunched together, looking up. Maybe it's just me. The last one, in the diner, with the pretty girl in front is very good. The only thing I'd suggest is to make the background a little less out-of-focus.
    Just my 2 cents.