1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ball Up - street shot/ c/c welcome

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by the_traveler, May 13, 2013.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    c/c welcome but prefer no editing/reposting.

p1050136867-5.

2. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Nice form, and it looks like he got fouled on the play. I would have liked to see the follow through on the jump shot. All in all a Great shot! :)

3. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    These two were taken the same day.
    I like engaged but casual portraits a lot.

p693715289-5.

and it was really nice to see this guy interact with the little boy.
    This was in a fairly gritty part of DC but I was taking pictures for the Mission that sponsored the league.
    I introduced myself to the referees and each team captain, asked permission and I was fine. The next week I brought a large bunch of 4x6's and everyone was fine with me being there.
    Pretty horrific lighting conditions, bright sun overhead, dappled light, ugh.

p789862299-5.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Lew, I think seeing the ball in the image would go a long way to "explaining" the image - it wouldn't even need a title. Otherwise I think it is a great shot.

5. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Tom,

The ball was in the original shot but I cropped it out because it seemed to me that the eyes would go to the ball and my real intent for the concentration was on the muscles and arms and the composition.

But, I'll send you one with the ball.

Lew

6. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I was thinking the same thing. Who knows what's going on up top. Maybe they're in a jungle gym or maybe he just slammed dunked or maybe they're on top of a tall building gonna fall off! Puts it in perspective.

7. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

My feeling is that a little ambiguity never hurt anybody and I really like that the shot wasn't just another basketball shot.

8. jjviegas

jjviegas Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
    I agree with you, and really like the action on your shot.

9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I quite like the crop, really dynamic.....the basketball is implied, this image works a treat in emphasising power and form. Love the b&w treatment too, perhaps too contrasty/dark for many, but I have always preferred that look to the more widely accepted even tones.

10. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    I liked all yours pictures but the only question here is why are you posting photos taken with the D700 in this section. Shouldn't these photos belong to the "Other systems" section? (Other Systems - Micro Four Thirds User Forum)

11. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Somewhere in the recent past here on this site, in referring to street photos, someone said that the camera was unimportant.

I would happily put the pictures anywhere.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    A very powerful and dynamic shot. I'm torn over the absence of the basketball. I appreciate the concept of ambiguity but my first thought was, "where is the ball?"

13. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Good.
    Why should any picture, even one so much about one specific thing, be so complete that every wish is satisfied?

I really wanted the picture to be about the striving and not about the ball.

14. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    It's a basketball game. No title or explanation needed. And it's an vivid expression of young manhood which you present very well by focusing on the muscles and athleticism. Everything that needs to be in is in. Everything that doesn't need to be in is out. Nice B&W processing too.

The young man portrait is good for tight crop. Conveys youthful confidence.

The man and boy is cute - background is distracting and looks like it can mostly be eliminated to focus on the man and child. Maybe the white t could be burned a little but I know how hard it is to get fuller DR on a sunny mid day.