Ball Head Repair Question

I tend to purchase the cheaper end of ball heads and they mostly come with rubber/silicone grips on the knobs.
Unfortunately after awhile they start to slip making tightening the knobs very hard if not impossible.

Has anyone been successfull in glueing these on to stop them slipping ? I imagine the glue would have to be slow setting as stretching and getting them on will take a minute or so, probably ruling out fast grip super glue.

I seem to remember back in the days when car radiator hoses would fail on a trip you used to be able to get some sort of silicone tape that would stick to itself but also not be sticky to make a repair bandage. Maybe that would work ?

Even the mid range head that came on my Manfrotto 055 tripod has ahead with those cursed rubber knobs.

I think I will try to avoid these in the future. Would not mind so much if delivery was faster to Australia from china as I could purchase 10 cheap heads to one more expensive one. Think I will try to avoid these in the future but I would like to repair these and get them back into use if I can.

Any thoughts o the best repair method ?

I tend to purchase the cheaper end of ball heads and they mostly come with rubber/silicone grips on the knobs.
Unfortunately after awhile they start to slip making tightening the knobs very hard if not impossible.

Has anyone been successfull in glueing these on to stop them slipping ? I imagine the glue would have to be slow setting as stretching and getting them on will take a minute or so, probably ruling out fast grip super glue.

I seem to remember back in the days when car radiator hoses would fail on a trip you used to be able to get some sort of silicone tape that would stick to itself but also not be sticky to make a repair bandage. Maybe that would work ?

Even the mid range head that came on my Manfrotto 055 tripod has ahead with those cursed rubber knobs.

I think I will try to avoid these in the future. Would not mind so much if delivery was faster to Australia from china as I could purchase 10 cheap heads to one more expensive one. Think I will try to avoid these in the future but I would like to repair these and get them back into use if I can.

Any thoughts o the best repair method ?
I think E6000 Craft Adhesive would work well for this.

Lifting the rubber sleeve and point glue it with superglue could work?
Yes that worked but I used a little too much glue. I thought use a slightly big drop and the rubber may squich the glue around the knob a bit. But I let the rubber outer snap back in a little too fast and it sperted the glue out a bit.

At least it works now, but I got a bit of glue on the outside. :doh:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Mine did the same.
I removed the rubber grip completely.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom