Baling Hay

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Rick Waldroup, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Baling Hay - Lipan, Texas - June 6, 2011

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Oooh. Nice!

Gordon

3. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for the comment, Gordon.

This was shot with my brand new $18.00 Holga lens on my GF-1. I then added the tone in Silver Efex.

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Rick,

Was it a close call between the Nokton 25 & the Holga?

Alan

5. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Yes, Alan, it was. I mean, they are so close in the quality of the glass.

But, in the end, I decided to go with the plastic of the Holga- built like a tank and the optics are just magnificent....:biggrin:

6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    So... you passed on the Nokton, bought the Holga, a new set of tires, and went to dinner with the difference....

Excellent choice...

7. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Did i mention that I love the photograph?

Sometimes Rick it's easy to forget that. Your work is so consistently good that I think I might take it for granted...

It's a wonderful moody image....

Alan

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Interesting Rick ... a friend of mine just purchased the Holga for his 1Ds ... waiting for the results. So what else Holga-ish do ya got?

G

9. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks, Alan, for the very kind words.

I have not shot much with it, yet. But here you go, Gary.

Kaitlyn

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... I like that ... but I keep wondering if a "real" lens would have more impact and better communications ... I dunno ... what do you think? With, the LensBay, one can create and heigthen the drama ... dunno about the Holga ...

498124378_n4xAh-X2.

G

• Like Like x 3
  11. dia36

dia36 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2011
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Hello. Great captures! May I ask for more info regarding this holga mft lens..?

Thanks! :)

12. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Gary, I thought about a lens baby back when they first came out, but I never did like the zoomed in look it produces. I don't know, for some reason it never appealed to me.

dia36, I purchased the lens off ebay from a dealer in Hong Kong. If you go on ebay and do a search for Holga lens, you will find several different dealers.

It does not need an adapter to fit a m4/3 camera. It is a fixed f/8 lens. You simply mount the lens on the camera, put the camera on manual, and adjust your shutter speed until the proper exposure is attained. It is, of course, manual focus. The focusing is crude and the zone focusing marks on the lens barrel are just a bit off, and the lens is made completely of plastic, but all of this combines to produce a lens that, if used properly and with the right subject matter, can produce unusual photos.

The biggest pitfall I see about the lens is that it can quickly become very gimmicky. That is why that I think with certain subjects, it can be very useful, but one can easily overdo this type of shooting.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yeah, the Holga and LensBaby are one-trick-ponies ... while the Holga gives a certain vintage look ... in the case of Kaitlyn a veiled, misty, dreamy look ... I keep wondering to myself if, in this case the image of Kaitlyn, wouldn have had more impact had the image been crystal sharp ... those eyes penetrating the eyes of the viewer ...

I used to have a philosophy that if an image is worth shooting then shoot it with the best equipment one has ... with the high IQ of µ4/3 I have stepped back from that thinking ... I dunno about the Holga ... you and I tend to shoot people ... people doing stuff ... people in their environment ... and those images cannot ever be duplicated .. does the Holga do justice to those images which cannot be duplicated and are worth capturing?

The jury is still out on the Holga ... I like both of the images presented ... I'm vacillating on Kaitlyn if the Holga was the best choice of lens.

G

14. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very nice relationship between the object and the holga effect. Nice work Rick.

15. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Gary is being diplomatic.

For me, it works well for the tractor image. A nostalgic sort of feel (I grew up on a farm). Dustbowl documentary.

It doesn't work for Kaitlyn. The blur and busy-ness of the plastic distortion distracts me from a captivating subject.

Call me an old fart, but this current craze of using electronic filters or plastic lenses to make images out of high tech gear look like crappy snapshots from the awful equipment of yesteryear just doesn't appeal to my sense of beauty and art. It too easily becomes intentional photo kitsch. I did not like crappy polaroid or instamatic pictures 40 years ago. I like them even less today.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Rick, your tractor image just cost me 13 euros! Gonna wait impatiently for my lens to arrive.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Okay, you're an ol' fart.

G :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. I like the effect in the first shot with the tractor, but I'm thinking that this would be something I would rather try to simulate with software rather than apply it directly by using a lens like this.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    So now you've become a digital artist ... not a photographer ...

G

20. Whichever. I am a product of the tools and technology that are available to me.