1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bags made from waxy canvas ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Steven, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Psh, nobody uses that waxy canvas anymore. Didn't you know? The hot thing these days is rubber bags from recycled bicycle tires and tubes!

[​IMG]

Totally Tubular Design

Seriously though, I think I know what kind of material you're talking about and have seen it in many bags... but can't name any brands off-hand.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm assuming you want a camera oriented bag? A friend of mine just got a Kelly Moore bag that's waxed canvas and leather:

Thirst Relief Bag I Wax Canvas w/Brown Trim
    [​IMG]

If a non-camera specific bag is ok, there's tons of other options I know of offhand, like the LL Bean Waxed Cotton Continental Field Bag

Waxed Cotton Continental Field Bag: Backpacks | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

[​IMG]

Or you could look at one of the traditional waxed canvas pack companies like Duluth Pack or Frost River:

Shoulderbags :: Reliable Softgoods from Duluth, Minnesota
    [​IMG]

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Thank you. Those LL bean bags look pretty nice. I'll look into that.

5. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    I hate the waxed canvas bags! They seem to exude a greasy substance that guarantees you'll transfer greasy fingerprints to anything you handle after touching the bag (not to mention, the petroleum odor). I much prefer the canvas fabric used in bags like the Think Tank Retrospective line, especially after they've been broken in by several years of use. Floppy and comfortable, with no greasy residue.

6. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That heavily depends on the type of treatment and the manufacturer's process. Traditional oilskin or oilcloth is treated differently than waxed cotton and can have a greasy feel like you describe. Though the terms are sometimes used interchangeably, waxed cotton/canvas is a different treatment than oilskin, and doesn't typically result in that oily feel.

I have the LL Bean Waxed Cotton Continental Rucksack which is the backpack version of the bag above, and there's no waxy or oily feel whatsoever. It actually is extremely soft and comfortable fabric.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 on the ThinkTank Retrospective. Good heavy canvas, great strap, well designed.

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As a Seattle guy I have to recommend our local icon, Filson:
    [​IMG]

Their stuff is not cheap, but it's a great value since it's built to last and they stand behind it. Their motto is "Might as well have the best."

Another forum member (grantb) has adapted this bag to function as a camera bag by adding an insert.

• Like Like x 3
  9. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I love Filson gear, though I don't have much of it! Another of the classic canvas wool and leather outfitters :smile:

One thing I will add just as a note, their stuff is oil finished not waxed, so it does have some degree of the oily finish an earlier poster mentioned. I haven't found it to be a big deal but the Filson Packer hat I had did have a very strong petroleum scent to it and did leave a little residue on the hands at least at first. If that sort of stuff bothers you you'll want to stick to waxed canvas instead of oil treated.

10. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I love waxed canvas!

I went with an new start up American company Ona Bags.

6095599038_30b77f8f44_b.

I'm a big fan of camera bags that don't look like camera bags. Mainly my attraction to it, was that I can use it as an everyday bag, space for carrying non-camera stuff easily. And because of that great ยต4/3 size, I carry my camera + 3-4 lenses around with me everywhere I go.

• Like Like x 1