Bags, Bags, Bags...I Love Bags! The Lowepro Streamline Sling

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by billbooz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    It's a sickness, but, they say, the best way to conquer such a sickness is to talk about it! Well, I have been and, folks, it's not working! I bought ANOTHER camera bag the other day. Yes, it's true. I couldn't help myself and, and, I love it! For micro 4/3 shooters with an external flash and a few extra lenses, I think the Lowepro Streamline Sling is a great choice...for me. Your mileage may vary: http://www.infotor.com/blog/journal-the-lowepro-streamline-sling-may-the-perfect-bag-for-micro43/.

Anyone else like to chime in with their favorite bag confession?

• Like Like x 1
  2. trwtrw

trwtrw Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2013
    I'm on a trip to Cambodia and Vietnam just now and just as I was giving up hope of finding the perfect bag I found this one at Best Buy. At this point I only have the E-M5 and the 12-50, but the bag is perfect if you don't ever intend to carry around 20 lenses 5 flashes and need room for extra stuff. It's easy to get to the camera compartment. Lowepro Streamline Sling is the way to go.

3. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Eddie
    Thinktank Turnstyle 10 is really nice to work with.......very well thought out!!! IMHO!

4. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I think the crumpler range is excellent for small camera systems. They look a little different, well padded and make great use of space.

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for sharing and nice little write-up...however, if I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion: You have 3 pictures of it closed and one of it slightly open. I'd like to see what the inside looks like, how much room there is, pockets, etc. :) Just a suggestion! Enjoy your new bag! :)

6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I ordered a Streamline Sling a few days ago. I hope it arrives next week and I can try it out. My current bag is a Domke Super Compact F3X Rugged Wear. It is a very good shoulder bag and can handle all my gear. I want to use the Streamline for occasions when I know what gear to take (it won't hold everything) and also want to walk and carry a few other things. I like the look and feel of the Streamline too, I am not a big fan of hard and boxy bags.

7. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Good suggestion, LowriderS10, I'll see what I can do. However, it is a little tight to be able to see down into the topmost opening that accesses the whole interior except where the camera pocket comes in and the side camera and lens pocket is also tight. "Tight" in terms of taking a picture, not putting things in it. But, tonight or tomorrow, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like Like x 1
  8. giffypop17

giffypop17 New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2013
    Steve
    I've had my eye on this, but worry it's too small. I like how compact and...uh...streamlined it appears to be compared to the say, the Transit Sling 150, which would probably be my choice if this was too small.

I'd want to carry my E-PL5 and Oly 14-150, and preferably my 45mm f1.8 and the 9-18mm. Do you think it's possible to fit all that in the camera section? With or without hoods? I know I could make it all fit if I put a lens or two in the top compartment, but I was hoping for something that would hold those three in the camera section, preferably with hoods, while leaving the top section open for other odds and ends, and still be small and compact.

I may be asking too much and have to move up to something that looks a little bigger like the Transit 150. Unfortunately, where I live, I'm not able to really go check these out in a store.

9. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Giffypop17 (where do you guys get these names?!), not sure. Not familiar with the size of the 14-150 and are you talking about it being mounted to the E-PL5? If so and assuming it is longish, not sure that will work, but I'll experiment some. I can put my OM-D E-M10 with the 17/2.8 in the camera sleeve (top of side pocket) and the BCL and kit lens, wrapped in bubble wrap bags they came in, in the lower compartment of that side pocket. Then I have the Canon 50 with an adapter and a Canon 35 with an adapter stacked on top of a flash in the far side of the top, whole bag pocket. I think those two canon lenses are probably about equivalent in size to your two lenses. By moving things around, I think it could work for you. May be a little tight, though. It is a small bag, but appears to surprisingly roomy.

10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes, when I tried it in-store, I liked the fact the top zip only opens partially so the 'flap' cannot fall completely open and allow contents to tumble out. :thumbup:

11. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    OK, Giffypop17, here you go: http://www.infotor.com/blog/gallery-of-streamline-sling-interior-pockets/. This includes thirteen pictures of interior pockets of the Lowepro Streamline Sling bag. Actually discovered another pocket while doing this (<g>), a zippered mesh on back of front pocket.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what can fit in the bag. On that post, I also link to a YouTube video I found as well as the Lowepro product page.

Bill Booz

• Like Like x 1
  12. giffypop17

giffypop17 New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2013
    Steve
    Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for all that. That's about as good an answer as I'll get short of someone trying to put the exact same equipment in. It looks to me like I could make it all fit, but I'm probably not going to get the hoods in, especially for the 9-18mm.

Day to day, I use a PhotoHatchback 16L, usually split to carry a lot of camera stuff and a bunch of other stuff, including my ultrabook. It's nice that I can take out the camera box when I need a simple backpack. When I need to carry basically all my kit, it fits easily. When I'm just going street shooting, I use the Domke F-5XA, which doesn't have room for anything other than photo gear.

When I travel, however, I want a small bag that I can use during the day which can hold the extras I'd want, but also is small enough to pack inside my larger Osprey Porter 46 I. I can put the Photo Hatchback 16L inside, but that's too big and not practical. I could put the Domke inside, but it doesn't have room for the extras like a coat, waterbottle, sunglasses, Nexus 7, etc. This bag looks perfect for what I want, and might complete a nice trio of bags for me. I think I could make these three bags do 99% of what I'd want and avoid the temptation to keep buying bags for the rest of my life...until I get more kit, that is:) With the thin padding, it looks like this bag will stow more easily inside of a larger pack than the Transit Sling 150, which looks pretty rigid. I've travelled a lot with a Patagonia Atom and love this style of sling bag too.

I love that there's room for the flash or other objects behind the camera compartment. I don't use a GorillaPod like you, but could probably even tuck my UltraPod Mini in that space along with my Nissin flash and Yongnuo triggers when I want to. I can't imagine ever stuffing my FlashBender and a tablet in that rear pocket, but it's nice to know it's possible.

Thanks again. This looks as close as I'll get to what I want.

13. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Glad the images help some, giffypop17. I, too, usually try to carry all of my gear as carry on and for that I have tried many approaches. Normal has been to pack my Lowepro Fastpack 350 to the gills (http://www.infotor.com/blog/advantages-of-sling-type-bags-over-regular-backpack-bags/). Another attempt was to create a camera "compartment" in a traditional roller type carry-on bag (http://www.infotor.com/blog/carry-your-gear-adapting-a-carry-on-to-use-as-camera-bag/). I have then, as you do, packed my trusty old Eagle Creek shoulder bag (http://www.infotor.com/blog/from-big-bag-to-small-bag/) in my checked luggage and use it - with some thin foam rubber padding on the bottom - as my "walk-around" day bag. It's not really adequate and, being a soft, cloth, material bag, is not very protective. My plan, now, is to use the Streamline Sling in place of it. It is totally padded compared to the Eagle Creek bag yet will compress and fit nicely in my checked bag. Or, as I seem to be slowly converting to m4/3 gear, I may find that what I'm able to get in the new bag is all I need to carry, even en route to destination. I have recently traveled where they even weighed my carry-on and made me take things out because it was over the limit of (I think) 20lb/9kilo!

14. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    • Like Like x 1
  15. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It has arrived and I am certainly enjoying it. The dedicated camera storage box is quite small, but like I wrote above, that suits my intention.

I bought my wife a photography class in night photography for her birthday tonight, so I packed the Streamline Sling with gear for her to use tonight, including her G3 with 14-140 OIS, a Metz 24AF flash unit (both in the camera compartment), a tripod in the waterbottle holder (with a strap to hold the top of the tripod in place), spare batteries and a torch in the small front pocket, a large fleece jacket in the main compartment, and the camera owner manual in the ipad pocket.