Bags and more bags

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice backpack. The dangling 40-150 makes me very nervous.
While wearing the bag, it hangs just as high as it would with a original strap and the Derlin plastic clips, that connects the strap and the shoulder straps, have 50kg breaking strengh each and hold even to -40C.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
While wearing the bag, it hangs just as high as it would with a original strap and the Derlin plastic clips, that connects the strap and the shoulder straps, have 50kg breaking strengh each and hold even to -40C.

I can't help it if I'm paranoid. Hanging camera, wooden floor. It's the stuff of nightmares.

orwell

Mu-43 Rookie
I’ve on just got his hazard 4 blastwall sling backpack, so far I can easily get everything in. There’s room for 15inch laptop if required in the back. The front pocket is large but could do with more smaller pockets inside. I will admit this isnt a cheap or light weight sling pack, but it seems to be very well made. it very comfortable to wear with a wide well padded shoulder strap and it comes with a removable waist belt and extra straps for adding stuff to it.
65B7C788-3FE9-4CBC-A236-20A621385F17.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
725C934E-902E-4DE4-A308-5AF76B5D6A5B.jpeg
28306770-1904-4749-BC53-7E9486CDC6FE.jpeg
5F7E91BD-FF9B-49CF-AD91-E2E096AA9EBB.jpeg
3BA2324B-D04E-4EE8-8A7D-EF7EA3A1538F.jpeg

Real Name
Walter
EDIT: I’m not sure why some of the images are squished. Hopefully they still get the point across. Or maybe they only look that way on my device.

My like-new-with-tags LowePro Freeline 350AW arrived from KEH today. I liked my previous backpack (LowePro Hatchback 250) but found that the front entry was awkward/scary with larger/heavier lenses.

I’ve loaded it up, and thought I would share some photos, because how stuff fits is always a guessing game for me when I’m looking at bags online.

As with other LowePro gear I’ve owned, it seems sturdy and comfortable. And the side entry seems like it’s going to be nice, although I haven’t actually used it in practice.

View attachment 804897 300mm f/4, E-M5ii w/12-40 2.8 mounted, 40-150 f/2.8

View attachment 804898
60mm macro, P7-14 and MC14, and of course the business end of the 300mm.

The rest of the photos show the top compartment with and without the included accessory organizer.

The bag was discounted at KEH EBay because it was missing the rain cover, but I found the cover in a side pocket!
View attachment 804899 View attachment 804900 View attachment 804901 View attachment 804902

I'm dredging up an old post, but I bought a Photo Active BP200 which is similar in design to the Freeline. The top "compartment" really doesn't have a bottom, that is, the top of the padded module forms the bottom of the top compartment. That means that small items can fall down between the sides. I found some zippered mesh bags to store small stuff to put up there that won't slip down. Or, you could use ziplock bags.

I just saw the LowePro ProTactic BP 300 AW II on their website. It seems to have the similar compartment system and side access like the Freeline and Photo Active, but is a little larger than Photo Active, especially a larger top compartment which makes it very suitable for a combo travel/camera backpack. I think it'd also fit under an airline seat as a personal item. I got way too many bags. There's always another one beckoning. :-O Must resist!

Last edited:

Mu-43 All-Pro
I picked up a Chicken Tramper Ultralight Camera Bag recently. There are times you can't use a dedicated photo bag, at that point you put your camera in your pack and miss the shot. These are lightweight, basically not padded but allows you quick access to you camera.

View attachment 871999

Not being padded is not a problem as it is on your waist, you shouldn't be bumping into things hard enough down there to damage your camera anyhow.

I dig it, in fact I bought another one that mounts on the shoulder strap.

Full review here: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2021/01/review-chicken-tramper-ultralight-gear.html

-Joe

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
@Indianpeaksjoe , that's a great find, and their website has other great gear for ultra light hiking. I've been using a re-purposed Camelback Flash Flo waist pack for hiking to similarly keep the camera accessible. But I really like their customization, it would be great to have a bag custom sized for the camera+lens combo you want to carry.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Looks like a very well thought out bag. The quick access sales pitch doesn't motivate me, but I love the look of the latch system. Hopefully it's as slick as it looks and catches on. Enough with the clips, velcro and zippers.

@John M Flores are you backing it? They're at about 80x their goal, so that's promising.

I do like the quick opening latch system, but I don't like single strap backpacks because they aren't all-day comfortable. In those situations where I need quick access to cameras for an event, I still have my trusty LowePro Stealth Reporter.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Looks like a very well thought out bag. The quick access sales pitch doesn't motivate me, but I love the look of the latch system. Hopefully it's as slick as it looks and catches on. Enough with the clips, velcro and zippers.

@John M Flores are you backing it? They're at about 80x their goal, so that's promising.
It looked interesting, but I wasn't sure if the street price on this bag was $300 when I read the info. page. If so, then I'll probably take a pass.

--Ken

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I do like the quick opening latch system, but I don't like single strap backpacks because they aren't all-day comfortable. In those situations where I need quick access to cameras for an event, I still have my trusty LowePro Stealth Reporter.
Did they not mention a backpack rig in the demo, John?

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Did they not mention a backpack rig in the demo, John?

Oh they did. But the second strap looks like such an afterthought that I don't hold out hope that it will be as good a backpack as I'd like it to be.

Besides, I already have a closet full, and the $300 can go towards something else I don't need.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
The tennis champ gave me one of her oldish bags recently (she was sent some upgrades by Babolat, who are one of her sponsors). It's a weather-proof Babolat Aero backpack (cost about €33), with a big main pocket opened by a full length double zipped flap, two large side pockets, and a bottom pocket with its own lining for smelly shoes. It also has very comfortable padded straps and a sternum strap. The best bit is the big zipped flap, which gave me an idea.

I turned into a decent camera pack by finding a Tenba BYOB 10 insert on eBay for €25, and now have something rather effective for hikes and long walks. Babolat make very good stuff and this pack is no exception. The bottom pocket is great for rain-gear, gloves, hats and other soft items, the two side-pockets perfect for easy access, and there is space inside the pack either side of the Tenba insert for big lenses, travel tripods and sundry stuff. Best of all is that the full size slide-in partition at the front of the pack (originally for the head of a tennis racket) is great for my garden kneeling pad, or a laptop or even a flat hydration tank. The main flap works well, allowing me access to the gear inside the Tenba without having to remove it from the pack itself.

I'm quite stoked, really, especially as the best part - in a tennis mad country - is that no one suspects I am packing camera gear!

IMG_3099.JPG
IMG_3101.JPG
IMG_3102.JPG

Last edited:

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
Ah, since I am no longer required on voyage I will have little opportunity to blend in - besides, bits of me stick out a bit nowadays, so there is not a lot of blending going on :)

Last edited:

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I have had probably 3 dozen bags over the last, almost 40 years. I have thrown away/given away several dozen of those bags in that time period. Every bag was in like new condition. They included many Domke's, Tamrac's, Case Logic, Lowepro's, Think Tank's & many other bags that I just no longer remember. Shoulder bags, waste bags, backpacks & sling bags. Most of them ended in the trash because I could not find buyers for them & they took up too much shelf space. Even now I have several like new, popular size, Billingham bags for sale that I tried selling & no one seems to have any interest in them. These, for $ reasons, I won't put in the trash, but will just collect dust on a closet shelf.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I have had probably 3 dozen bags over the last, almost 40 years. ...Shoulder bags, waste bags, backpacks & sling bags...

That's quite the Freudian slip you have there... ;-)

I've been dealing with my dad's stuff lately, and he bought quite a few camera bags. It's interesting to me how rigid the older gadget bags were, and how thankfully, they have evolved into softer, kinder cases for our cameras. The amount of un-buffered cardboard and thin plastic that went into those older bags is surprising.

My most-used camera bag isn't even a camera bag.

Latest threads

Top Bottom