Bags and more bags

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Joined the Peak Design club.

peakpair_a-jpg.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As I posted earlier, I don't quite have the affection for different bags that some of the other members do. But I've seen Peak Design's offerings at the local shop and thought they were really nice bits. So, I started looking for a V1 10L sling to drop lenses into when I leave the vehicle (where the bigger bag might stay while I walk around. I like the look of the V1 better than the V2, and I like the straps at the bottom to carry a tripod/monpod without having to have it in my hands. I ordered an extra divider to give me four "slots" across.

I don't need another backpack, but this one (V1 20L) came up for a song, probably because of the color. Regarding that, its really nice looking in person. It's an unique color, rich. As to the bag, it's ...overbuilt. Great materials, enough features that I feel like I need to watch the videos on features and setup before I load anything into it. I can't imagine needing the room that the 30L provides. I also ordered an extra divider for this one so I can put the camera up really high inside and access it from the top, leaving three sections across accessible from the huge side flaps.

So, can I hang with the bag club now?

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I started looking for a V1 10L sling to drop lenses into when I leave the vehicle (where the bigger bag might stay while I walk around. I like the look of the V1 better than the V2, and I like the straps at the bottom to carry a tripod/monpod without having to have it in my hands. I ordered an extra divider to give me four "slots" across.
I prefer the V1 10L sling as well. It has substantial carrying capacity, especially with the split top halves of the origami dividers. The permanently mounted tripod straps are better than the new hook-in straps IMO. I use the straps to carry an umbrella in its sleeve, with the sleeve tied to one of the straps so it doesn't slide out when I have the sling in a more vertical orientation. The new plastic sling strap locks are a big improvement to keep the length from creeping.

MirrorlessKiwi

Mu-43 Regular
I prefer the V1 10L sling as well. It has substantial carrying capacity, especially with the split top halves of the origami dividers. The permanently mounted tripod straps are better than the new hook-in straps IMO. I use the straps to carry an umbrella in its sleeve, with the sleeve tied to one of the straps so it doesn't slide out when I have the sling in a more vertical orientation. The new plastic sling strap locks are a big improvement to keep the length from creeping.
For anyone unaware, there are clips available that slide over the aluminium glides on the V1 Slings to stop the creeping. They work very well. If your local Peak Design distributor or retailer doesn't have any, send an email to info@peakdesign.com and they'll be able to send you a set.

I may be able to assist anyone in NZ requiring a set.

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
I just sold my PD messenger 13". Great bag but just too much vertical space for me.
Ordered a Chrome Niko 2.0 sling. Looks nice and I think a better fit for my current gear.
We'll see.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I just sold my PD messenger 13". Great bag but just too much vertical space for me.
I get you with the "too much vertical space" complaint.
I have 5 PD bags of various sorts and sizes; the Messenger 15, 10L Sling, 5L Sling, Field Pouch and Tote. They all serve different purposes and can pack different payloads. The 10L Sling is perfect for those days where I'm either not especially photography focused or only need sunglasses, a notebook and a couple of documents for a meeting. The Messenger 15 is great for serious telephoto lenses and fat file folders for meetings. The 5L Sling is good for my wife's camera gear and the tote lets us carry cameras, lenses, food, water and other bits and pieces.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Got this Manfrotto backpack a while ago and I’m pretty happy with it, especially for the cost (<$40).

It can fit an E-M1 with grip, E-M5ii with grip, 45/1.8; 12-40/2.8; 100-300/4~5.6 together with a charger and some extra batteries.

I just love having a FF equivalent range of 24~600mm stored in the space of a lunch box!:2thumbs:

577937CB-4066-4489-99B6-08E90AEA47E9.jpeg
34625AE9-8838-4E31-BD4D-4BB2636D88A0.jpeg

Real Name
M@
While I love my Peak Design 5L for my E-M5 III with a couple lenses... I have the PD tripod as well, and there's no way to attach it to the bag. I may have to up and get the 6L bag. I've also got the original 10L bag. It's nice, but it's a bit more room than I need. I can fit my camera and a small-ish insulated bottle in there, so there's that.

Real Name
Walter
While I love my Peak Design 5L for my E-M5 III with a couple lenses... I have the PD tripod as well, and there's no way to attach it to the bag. I may have to up and get the 6L bag. I've also got the original 10L bag. It's nice, but it's a bit more room than I need. I can fit my camera and a small-ish insulated bottle in there, so there's that.

Could you sew some loops or D-rings on the bottom to hang the tripod from?

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
have both 5l and 6l slings. 6l is only slightly larger, but has more room, more functional and imho better made. You will like it.

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
Been carrying the Niko for a week or so now.
Everything is easy to access, build quality is quite nice and I really like the look.

Ordered a Chrome Niko 2.0 sling. Looks nice and I think a better fit for my current gear.
We'll see.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
For anyone unaware, there are clips available that slide over the aluminium glides on the V1 Slings to stop the creeping. They work very well. If your local Peak Design distributor or retailer doesn't have any, send an email to info@peakdesign.com and they'll be able to send you a set.

I may be able to assist anyone in NZ requiring a set.
Could you please tell me more about these clips (a photo perhaps) and what they do? Are you saying that the quick-adjust buckle with the D-ring on it doesn't grip the strap tight enough, thereby allowing it to slip and get longer?

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Could you please tell me more about these clips (a photo perhaps) and what they do? Are you saying that the quick-adjust buckle with the D-ring on it doesn't grip the strap tight enough, thereby allowing it to slip and get longer?
It's not the quick adjust buckle that you use to cinch and lengthen the strap in everyday use that slips, it's the buckles that attach the strap ends to the bag.
PD V1 Sling Anti-slip Clip.jpg

It's the piece of black polycarbonate that bridges the buckle; you can't slide the strap without removing the clip.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
It's not the quick adjust buckle that you use to cinch and lengthen the strap in everyday use that slips, it's the buckles that attach the strap ends to the bag.
View attachment 839441
It's the piece of black polycarbonate that bridges the buckle; you can't slide the strap without removing the clip.
Ah, I see now. Thx for the info, I'll email Peak Designs.

Latest threads

Top Bottom