Bags and more bags

hazel0711

New to Mu-43
I like the Ona Bowery bag.. but can't seem to find it in Malaysia. Any similar bags? Many suggested the Domke Fx5b but somehow I don't like it lol D:

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hey there bags wozz! Whatdup!? I just ordered a big bag for my GH4/GX7 and lenses...
I didn't went for the compact size this time (I already have a billingham hadley for that. So I just ordered the big 445 as the 335 was just the same width and length as the hadley... I went fot the khaki canvas in tan, they look cool and my hadley is black on black so I already have the stealth and light option in my arsenal.

Last time I didn't bought the large hadley and have always thought the regular hadley was too small.

I mean yeah it can fit all my gear but I would like time to time carry a little tea bottle or a little meal in my bag. And those times I want to carry my scarf or hat in my bag but the hadley is so filled up...

Another thing that decided me for the 445 is that it has a wider shoulder strap than the 335 so will spead the weight better.

The 335 strap is the same as the hadley, and it can weight heavy on the shoulder really quick.

The purpose of this bag for me is to be a video bag, so it's bigger than you photo shoulder messenger...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

incabloc

Mu-43 Top Veteran

empknight

New to Mu-43
I'm using the Lowepro Courier 80. It was really cheap and very light. Fits a camera, a zoom, and a pancake. I'm looking around for a laptop bag now. The Domke 832 looks great, but something more upscale like the ONA Brixton is nice too.

Sent from my C6916 using Mu-43 mobile app

Attachments

jjviegas

Mu-43 Regular
Here's my new Wotancraft :biggrin:

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
At one point, I used to have too many and none of them were 100% satisfying. A few Lowepros, a Domke F2, a bunch of Crumplers and others. Before I got my Billingham, the Crumpler 5 and 6 Million Dollar Home (original designs) were my daily go to bags, although like all Crumpler bags, they're a bit bulky from the thickly padded exteriors.

For the past 2 years, I've been using a Billingham Hadley Pro and it's become my daily bag.

About to the pull the trigger on an ONA Brixton in the cognac leather, so we'll see if it replaces the Billingham as my favorite.

jon595

Mu-43 Veteran
It's been awhile since I've posted on this fine forum, mainly because I made the switch to Fuji X, but I just recently got a new bag that some might like. Here we have a Domke F-803 special edition in Olive Ruggedwear. I was browsing eBay a few weeks ago when I stumbled across it and at first thought it was a fake, but apparently Domke's UK site made mention of special edition Ruggedwear colors for the F-5xb, F-2, F-8 and F-803. I bought what I think was the last one on eBay a few weeks ago.

I already had the Domke 3-compartment insert for another bag, so it got put in here and I love it. The last picture shows my full load of gear, but I normally don't carry that much. I like this bag because it is thin, even when loaded. This carries all of my Fuji gear (X-T1, 3 lenses, flash, TTL cord, Velbon Ultra Maxi Mini tripod, Rogue FlashBender small softbox kit) and easily fits in my 8" Windows tablet (for Lightroom 5), Apple MagicMouse (easier to use with Lightroom than stylus) and other misc. cables/chargers.

I think there are a few more of these special editions on eBay, some in black and some in a tan denim material if anyone is interested.

BobbyTan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was looking for a small backpack that will also take my 13" MacBook Air, for travel. I kind of like the Tenba 632-305 Backpack LE Small, and Tenba 632-411 Shootout 18L … but they are both more expensive, and there are no discounts offered. As I am a bit of a sucker for good deals, I ended up ordering this new backpack from B&H which I believe will suit my needs well i.e. pack a 13" laptop and the E-M1 plus a number of "big" lenses including my Nocticron, 12-40 PRO, 75/1.8 and Panasonic 7-14.

This backpack is big enough to allow me to grow and add the new Olympus PRO lenses i.e. 7-14/2.8, 40-150/2.8 and 300/4.

Check it out if you are in the market for a not-too-large backpack, as I think this is quite a good one, especially with the 35% discount on the price:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889716-REG/ruggard_pbb_235b_thunderhead_35_dslr_camera.html

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My little DIY bag

Long read ahead. Seriously, really long. Consider yourself warned.

So after 1,5 years of photography, my camera set got a bit bigger.
Camera, couple of lenses, flash, baterries (for camera as well as for flash), chargers, small softbox, filters, etc. You know the drill.

I have a small adapted bag, for everyday carry. E-PL5 with P20mm and Oly60mm are with me all the time (although i don't use it everyday. But you know, for those instances where i see Elvis getting out of the UFO, you want to have a proper camera). there, as well as small flash, and certain personal items (wallet, swiss knife, keys, work pass, etc).
I have a plain shoulder bag, which doesn't scream camera bag, and I placed a padded insert inside to protect the camera and lenses. It isn't the best, and it's not small by any means, but it fits.

Naturally, i wanted an appropriate larger bag, not just for need when i need to carry all my gear (because that happens maybe 2 times per year), but also for keeping it all in (preferably) one place.

After a lot of searching, finding good looking bags, functional bags, cheap bags, my wife said no  J/k, i didn't find anything that would fit me and my needs, and the price point of bigger bags was not justified in my budget.

Then i saw a post here and decided to steal the idea.

Although i have an unused suitcase, that would be just too large for my needs. Then i remembered i have an unused shoulder bag, a sort of larger laptop carry case, which fits not only a laptop, but has place for books/notes, a few clothing items or similar.

i needed to remove the inside case, because that was foreseen as the main compartment. Initial idea was to use the padded case, and use it later on as padded dividers with a little bit of needle and thread work. More on that later on.

beside the main compartment, it has back pockets, i will not remove anything from them, as thosse dividers don't prevent me from keeping a laptop there.
Back pockets will come in handy for keeping smaller stuff organized.

I had two ideas: pick-and-pluck or padded dividers with velcro straps on top of each divider. Unfortunately, both options quickly fell through.
Here (in Croatia) we just don't have that many options for buying those stuff. 3-4 major hardware stores don't keep pick-and-pluck (you can buy a dedicated hard body camera case with foam inside, but it's around 80-90$). I found an ebay seller but the size was a bit smaller then i need and would not suit me (i need around 30x40x5 cm [12x16x2 inches for the lazy]). Only way to get custom sized pick-and-pluck was by online order and the shipping quote is basically the price of a bit pricier camera bag. Dividers are even more expensive, and it would take me (or wife) a lot time to stitch everything inside, so i didn't even bother.

Today i snapped and just went to the hardware store and basically took a 100x50x5 cm (40x20x2) spunge foam block and decided to cut it up with a scalpel. It won't look as pretty, but it will do. Was limited with colors, but again, it will do.

The entire block cost me around 10$, and i used about a quarter of it (will keep the rest in case i want a redo). I may sound expensive, but that's Croatia for you...

I needed to fits these in the bag, while keeping everything safe (forgot to put the Oly kit lens there).
From left to right: E-PL5 with P20mm, 40-150, O60mm, OM 50mm, FL-600r, kit flash, lens pen, EVF-2, charger and bateries, ND filter, small tripod thingy, small softbox, cheapo tripod.

The cut fits nicely within the bag, and there's some room to spare for small items (it just happened like that, i didn't intend it, but the foam sits tight within the bag and doesn't move).

The main problem with this bag is that the zippers don't open all the way down. Scalpel for size.

Initially, the plan was to place the small cheapo tripod there, but later on, i decided to leave the space unused because i would probably damage the lenses while taking out the tripod. WHen i acquire more gear, i will cut up the remaining parts and place the less used gear at the hard(er) to reach bottom. (kit lens included below).
Also, i aligned the gear a bit, my OC started to kick in (but not so much to have everything perfectly cut).

I planned to mark the areas with a marker (in hindsight, pink marker was not the smartest/manliest choice). I wanted the holes to be a bit tighter to avoid gear falling out. Also, as I needed to cut the foam all the way in order to fit the lenses, i planned for a smaller cut on the inside, again to prevent gear falling out while taking out the foam in case i need to (if i do a redo, i'll pay more attention to this).

Done.

I know it's ugly, but in a strange way, i'm really proud by this (i don't do a lot of DIY, as you can probaby see). Just keep in mind the limitations i was faced with...

I left some place for a kit lens (where the strap is), if i really need to carry it, but i didn't cut the hole at this time.
How it fits in the bag

Small items

tripod next to it.

I'll buy two velcro straps in order to strap a tripod on the side, i just didn't feel like placing it inside the bag after seeing how tight it would be.

I know this entire thing looks crappy, but i like it and it will be of use until i find the perfect larger bag (probably will be some time).

The bag itself weighs around 1kg. With entire camera gear, it's around 3,5 and with the laptop and cable it's around 6,9.

TL, DR: some pics of my crappy DIY bag.

EDIT: sorry for large pics :redface:

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
I use a Domke F-8 as my primary bag when I carry 3 lenses (usually). When I want to carry all of my lenses I use a Samsung bag designed for NX. I also use a Lowepro Compuday backpack leftover from my DSLR setup.

birdie

Mu-43 Regular
I'm looking for a shoulder bag that will take: E-M1, E-M5, 14mm 2.5, 25mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8, spare batteries, sd cards, etc, iPad Mini and maybe a flash or two and maybe another lens or two.... Without being too big :) I currently have a Lowepro Event Messenger 100 but its really only good for one body and doesn't quite fit an iPad Mini...

2mnycars

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
DaveL
Have you looked at the LowePro Pro Messenger 200AW? I have one. I don't. have your gear. It is a delight to work out of.

If that doesn't work, the Magnum series should have a bag that will work. May be on the large size

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom