Bags and more bags

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
OK, thanks for that!
I've recently found the GM5 plus the 45-175 fits in it nicely. Did your GX85 fit in it, and how do you like the bag generally? I've gone back to it for the summer, with the 12-32 as an additional lens packed in it. It still has room for cheque book (still use those in France), wallet, sunnies, receipts, notebook + pens, and so on. It's more of a man-bag with a camera in it, really.

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi,
My name is Clint and I’m a bagaholic. LOL

The photo below shows about 17 of my bags. I have about 14 more in another corner of the room, that weren’t included. And that does not even include my 10 or so lens bags, 5 lighting equipment bags, or 4 backpacks. I’ve got several others lurking about as they are holding flash equipment or, who knows. In all at least 55. My only excuse was I really needed these for jobs I did!

I never found the perfect bag, or even the perfect set of 3 bags.

It’s been about 48 months since I bought my last bag – a Photocross 13 that is loaded and ready to.
View attachment 899264
Wow! Can I be your friend?

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Looking for recommendations on a bag to handle a twin setup of 100-400mm lenses with bodies, one is Olympus EM1 MkIII and one is Sony A7RIV. Plus one wider lens for each, such as the shown Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro and 35mm f1.4GM, stored vertically. Overall dimension as laid out are 14.5" x 9.5" or lets call it 15" by 10" needed for inner dimensions. Want to keep the tele's mounted to the bodies and most times this will just be setting on the front seat of my Jeep next to me, but other times I will be carrying both a ways, so a backpack type might be best. Don't need to worry about a lot of accessories or any laptop, the smaller the pack the better. But this set will weigh in at about 12 pounds without pack and I want the bag to have great straps and be comfortable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

IMG_1916.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Last edited:

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Hi @SpecFoto,
A large messenger bag such as the Think Tank Signature 13 might be big enough.

I've reviewed the smaller version, the 10, at
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/think-tank-signature-10-shoulder-bag-review.101373/

Edit: the 13 is about 9" deep, IF you need to completely close the zipper.
You can still close and strap the lid without zipping the internal cover.
See also
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/bag-for-e-m1ii-and-shg-lens-trio.108322/post-1380190
Thanks, Barry. I have an old TT Retrospective 7 bag that is similar in size and 9" high inside, but the lens with body attached won't fit vertically, as my lenses and camera are both 10" long. Plus I never liked the Retrospective as the front pockets did not have any zippers and since the bottom was only soft cloth, the bag was falling over all the time and stuff would spill out. Glad to see they given these newer ones you reviewed a hard leather bottom, but still, a full width front pocket with only 1 snap....bad imho.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
Looking for recommendations on a bag to handle a twin setup of 100-400mm lenses with bodies, one is Olympus EM1 MkIII and one is Sony A7RIV. Plus one wider lens for each, such as the shown Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro and 35mm f1.4GM, stored vertically. Overall dimension as laid out are 14.5" x 9.5" or lets call it 15" by 10" needed for inner dimensions. Want to keep the tele's mounted to the bodies and most times this will just be setting on the front seat of my Jeep next to me, but other times I will be carrying both a ways, so a backpack type might be best. Don't need to worry about a lot of accessories or any laptop, the smaller the pack the better. But this set will weigh in at about 12 pounds without pack and I want the bag to have great straps and be comfortable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

View attachment 901076
That's a sizable and hefty load. You'd definitely want to stick to backpacks with good shoulder straps and padded waist belt. Also, one question is whether you need a backpack that gives you relatively easy access, i.e., side access vs back access. Something from Mindshift/ThinkTank maybe. Maybe F-Stop. Not having looked at bags where I needed to carry a similar load, I don't have anything specific in mind to offer.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
That's a sizable and hefty load. You'd definitely want to stick to backpacks with good shoulder straps and padded waist belt. Also, one question is whether you need a backpack that gives you relatively easy access, i.e., side access vs back access. Something from Mindshift/ThinkTank maybe. Maybe F-Stop. Not having looked at bags where I needed to carry a similar load, I don't have anything specific in mind to offer.
Thanks. I have a great Mindshift 18L bag, but it is just a bit too narrow for both bodies to fit with the 2 big zooms. Use it all the time for either Sony or Olympus gear with just 1 zoom and standard primes. For the new bag, I don't really need side access as I already have PD plate on the bottom of both lenses to work with the PD Clip that goes on the strap. So pack 1 and shoot with the other, but I want both to fit inside. When I need to change, setting down the bag is no big deal as I don't want to drop anything trying to save a couple of seconds. I use a PD Cuff on both bodies and rarely ever use a full strap, would like to keep it that way.

Last edited:

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
The MindShift 34L or larger packs should be able to handle it.
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/pages/backpacks?rfsn=1976465.e3e456.10615

I have a 38L Rotation, but they have since replaced it with the 34L & 50L.
You might have to take the bodies off the lenses, or have one facing up, and one facing down.
Or put one in the bottom compartment on a large Rotation, if there's enough room.
I'd offer to show some shots of mine, but I don't think it's directly comparable to the new ones.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

View attachment 901076

Here is a review I did on the pack I am currently using that should meet your needs. I really need to do a followup post after using it for 1.5 years. I am also very familiar with F-Stop bags if you have any questions about them. But honestly, the Pintler is the best photography bag I have used and I am very happy with it.

Phocal

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I use a PD Everyday Backpack 20L to carry an E-M1 II, an E-M1 III, 300mm f4, 40-150mm f2.8, 8mm f1.8 FE, 12-40mm f2.8, MC14, MC20, 2x spare batteries, a RioRand dot sight and a coffee bottle. One divider is across the bottom as a stiffener, another divider is arranged vertically in the middle of the pack so a camera with the 300mm and MC14 is on one side and the other camera with the 40-150mm on the other side. Both are stored lens down. The 8mm is in a neoprene beer cozy in an outer pocket, the 12-40mm and dot sight are sectioned in a horizontal flexfold divider across the top part of the pack.
Works for me but you may want the 30L version for extra capacity.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
You'll need a fairly large sized bag. I found I prefer the rear opening bags and bags that use a ICU or similar, which allows me to change the bag set-up for different purposes. I thought initially I wanted a bag to jut fit the camera gear. Which led me to something a little larger so I could carry enough stuff for a day in the mountains. The F-Stop Anja or Tilopia with the Large Pro ICU would work.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom