Bags and more bags

Indianpeaksjoe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I mentioned this in another thread... but I really like the Chicken Tramper UL25 pack for hiking. Super light, super comfy and side pockets for water bottles! I use the little waist pack for the camera and totally dig it.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2021/02/review-chicken-tramper-ultralight-gear.html
P2071397.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Review and more pics here:
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2021/02/review-chicken-tramper-ultralight-gear.html

-Joe

Last edited:

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
The tennis champ gave me one of her oldish bags recently (she was sent some upgrades by Babolat, who are one of her sponsors). It's a weather-proof Babolat Aero backpack (cost about €33), with a big main pocket opened by a full length double zipped flap, two large side pockets, and a bottom pocket with its own lining for smelly shoes. It also has very comfortable padded straps and a sternum strap. The best bit is the big zipped flap, which gave me an idea.

I turned into a decent camera pack by finding a Tenba BYOB 10 insert on eBay for €25, and now have something rather effective for hikes and long walks. Babolat make very good stuff and this pack is no exception. The bottom pocket is great for rain-gear, gloves, hats and other soft items, the two side-pockets perfect for easy access, and there is space inside the pack either side of the Tenba insert for big lenses, travel tripods and sundry stuff. Best of all is that the full size slide-in partition at the front of the pack (originally for the head of a tennis racket) is great for my garden kneeling pad, or a laptop or even a flat hydration tank. The main flap works well, allowing me access to the gear inside the Tenba without having to remove it from the pack itself.

I'm quite stoked, really, especially as the best part - in a tennis mad country - is that no one suspects I am packing camera gear!

IMG_3099.JPG
IMG_3101.JPG
IMG_3102.JPG

Last edited:

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
I have had probably 3 dozen bags over the last, almost 40 years. I have thrown away/given away several dozen of those bags in that time period. Every bag was in like new condition. They included many Domke's, Tamrac's, Case Logic, Lowepro's, Think Tank's & many other bags that I just no longer remember. Shoulder bags, waste bags, backpacks & sling bags. Most of them ended in the trash because I could not find buyers for them & they took up too much shelf space. Even now I have several like new, popular size, Billingham bags for sale that I tried selling & no one seems to have any interest in them. These, for $ reasons, I won't put in the trash, but will just collect dust on a closet shelf.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I have had probably 3 dozen bags over the last, almost 40 years. ...Shoulder bags, waste bags, backpacks & sling bags...

That's quite the Freudian slip you have there... ;-)

I've been dealing with my dad's stuff lately, and he bought quite a few camera bags. It's interesting to me how rigid the older gadget bags were, and how thankfully, they have evolved into softer, kinder cases for our cameras. The amount of un-buffered cardboard and thin plastic that went into those older bags is surprising.

My most-used camera bag isn't even a camera bag.

Vermont3133

We Both Love M43
Thanks for the tip, Danny. I found one on eBay for €20 and think it's a steal. Just what I was looking for in an EDC bag. Great stuff! If it helps, I found a large split-ring attached to the flap's loop makes handling the hook-closure much easier, and it also gives you a secondary attachment point if the load in the bag "grows" a little :D
Roddy, you are the guy to ask this! I really like the look of this bag.
Just wondering if it is deep enough to carry a GX85 with the 45-175 attached, and one smaller lens?
And have been checking a bit more...it looks like the GX85+45-175mm could fit longways/sideways with one other small lens, in this case a PL15 ?

Last edited:

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Roddy, you are the guy to ask this! I really like the look of this bag.
Just wondering if it is deep enough to carry a GX85 with the 45-175 attached, and one smaller lens?
And have been checking a bit more...it looks like the GX85+45-175mm could fit longways/sideways with one other small lens, in this case a PL15 ?
I think you'll have to carry the body with the 15mm and have the 45-175 to one side. That will work, I think. I couldn't carry the GX8 with the 45-175 mounted to it.

Of course, you have a GX85, so the dimensions are a little different and it may fit with the long lens on it, but it will be tight :)

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was lucky to buy this used bag locally for a good price, but not "feeling it" for my Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home for my PenF and couple of primes. Researching online suggests the Domke F-5XB to be a good choice. Any owners using this bag for their Pen F or other smaller camera ?
Besides the Pen F mounted with a PL 15mm, I also carry a Laowa 7.5mm, Sigma 30mm f2.8, and the tiny Oly 9mm BCL. Also fitting in the Pany 20mm would be a plus. Yea or nay for this bag.
As always, appreciate the help and information.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I was lucky to buy this used bag locally for a good price, but not "feeling it" for my Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home for my PenF and couple of primes. Researching online suggests the Domke F-5XB to be a good choice. Any owners using this bag for their Pen F or other smaller camera ?
Besides the Pen F mounted with a PL 15mm, I also carry a Laowa 7.5mm, Sigma 30mm f2.8, and the tiny Oly 9mm BCL. Also fitting in the Pany 20mm would be a plus. Yea or nay for this bag.

I have an F-5XB which I used to carry lenses for a while about 15 years ago.
I never had more than 2 pounds of gear in it because I really hate carrying lot of weight. There were two major issues with it.

One was that the "base" of it is (was?) a plastic card that is loaded into a stiched-up pocket in the bottom to give it a solid bottom. Over time, picking up and putting down the bag caused the sharp edges of that card to eat through the Domke fabric in the corners. The plastic card had razor-like corners. In fact, when walking with it, I could feel it a bit.

The second issue is something you just have to watch out for. The dividers you get from Domke are a bit sharp on their velcro tabs. If those velcro tabs are "up" and able to rub inside the bag on the fabric, they will slowly drill a hole in the fabric. In my case it went through the bag AND through the lid.
Just cut some angled edges to soften the contact of those tabs. A nice ball-point-sized hole right in the middle-front of the bag.

I upgraded to an F-5XC because I had a couple larger lenses for a time and was carrying a larger flash unit. It too, began to fray at the bottom and the card was beginning to poke through.

I reported both issues to Domke, but by the time they got back to me (6 months later or so) I had switched bags to something else and stayed with that. Never went back to Domke for anything after that. I just use the bag to hold bits and bobs now.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have a F-5XB that now lives in a closet. I replaced it with a F-10 JD because the Velcro flap and zip combination quickly drove me crazy. If I wanted a bag that was a hindrance and slow to work out of I'd buy one of the trendy messenger bags so popular these days. The F-10 JD also has a decent sized front pocket for spare batteries and my ND filters.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I’m a sucker for bags... just hit the button on WANDRD’s new sling bags on Kickstarter - due for completion in December.
It’s not like I needed a new bag - far from it, and I have two slings already, but after getting the Peak bag and being so impressed with it I couldn’t help but take a peek at their new slings. Couldn’t decide which one I needed so I opted for all three 3L, 6L, and 9L.
Guess it being December when they are due for delivery somebody in the family will be getting a nice Xmas present this year.

AR-Trvlr

Mu-43 Rookie
I went with the hiking bag + padded insert approach. I'm a fan of the Mountainsmith lumbar packs, and have used one of their 'Tour' bags for the past few years. It works great with my E-M10 and 12-40 pro and other basic hiking stuff. I like that I can use it as a shoulder bag (with the waist straps tucked away), or as a lumbar pack for hiking. We're heading up to Acadia NP this summer, so I upgraded to a E-M1 and added a 40-150 pro and compact tripod to my kit. With all of this I outgrew the 'Tour' bag. After looking at a number of photo-specific bags, and trying out a Lowepro Photo Sport backpack (too small camera section), I settled on getting a new/larger 'Day' bag with a generic padded insert from Amazon. The 'Day' bag is a 13L bag, with the main compartment being roughly 13in x 12in x 6in, so room enough for the padded insert plus lunch or a bit of other gear. I'm a little concerned about the weight of the overall setup, so added a set of 'Strapettes' for shoulder support in addition to the waist strap.
PXL_20210610_121515965.jpg
PXL_20210610_120710462.jpg
PXL_20210610_120549015.jpg
PXL_20210610_121141441.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom