Bags and more bags

In my research I’ve found that most sling bags are designed to sit on the right shoulder, with only a handful designed to sit on the left shoulder (and even fewer that allow the user to select either).

Whilst in the minority, us lefties represent 10% of the population, in the UK that’s 7m, and in the US it’s a whopping 33m... although not all of us are in the market for a sling style camera bag 😉
Also if you want one on both sides then a left and a right is a no brainer.
I have 2 sling bags and occasionally head off with both in tow.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Hmmm... I'm a leftie (although I play musical instruments right-handed). I can't remember any camera shoulder bag being a problem. Except maybe that ones that had external gusseting on only one side caused my water bottle to be "behind" my arm instead of in front.

I also wear all my bags across. So, the shoulder pad sits on my right shoulder. Same with my camera strap - always across the chest and never just over one shoulder.

I could see some of the sling bags might be the wrong way around because they usually widen on one side, which might put the camera bag upside down if you're left-handed.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Hmmm... I'm a leftie (although I play musical instruments right-handed). I can't remember any camera shoulder bag being a problem. Except maybe that ones that had external gusseting on only one side caused my water bottle to be "behind" my arm instead of in front.

I also wear all my bags across. So, the shoulder pad sits on my right shoulder. Same with my camera strap - always across the chest and never just over one shoulder.

I could see some of the sling bags might be the wrong way around because they usually widen on one side, which might put the camera bag upside down if you're left-handed.
The PD Slings and Everyday Messengers have reversible straps to accommodate both left and right shoulder carry. I carry the Messenger on my left side (strap on right shoulder/neck) and the 10L Sling with the strap across my left shoulder so the bag can be pulled under my right arm.

orwell

Mu-43 Rookie
I’d be interested to hear if anyone’s got or used a hazard 4 blastwall sling back pack.
53A652B5-D891-417F-879D-961C3BC6C2CB.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
604242B1-AE3A-4D3D-A7C9-3EE9605D9806.png

Last edited:

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
I made a different approach after several Lowepro backbacks and messenger bags. I bough 2 Direct action gear ”Dragon egg” backbags. One for camera gear and one for my military use.
The main compartment holds EM1.2 and 40-150 pro. The front pocket holds my EM5.2 and Panasonic 14 f2.5 and Oly 12-40pro.
The side pocket have velcros and EM5.2 rides there with a Pana pancake while hiking, for easy access.
I also bougth a Frog pro camera strap which can be attached to shoulder straps fast - that takes the cameras weight off the neck, which is really nice on long hikes and camera is always ready to use. I have to still remove the Oly strap and put the Frog pro sling on but it irritates my neck so I’m stitching a leather padding there.
I have to say, for me, this is almost perfect set up for hikes in wilderness.

14BF72CA-2832-40BC-97B4-EF38BDB5CDAE.jpeg

6CC32AE8-5EC0-4D79-B5E8-AE25E9420EEC.jpeg
BD8E4C59-3952-4458-99BE-7AA2EA15AF33.jpeg
77367F1D-3A1F-4EE6-B77B-E56CD8FD2FEA.jpeg
14964DE8-DF50-410F-86AF-C305342ECF5A.jpeg
32BE7DA9-E0FF-4584-9977-DD54EFD062D1.jpeg
E067D20F-5012-41B2-990F-3845827A3EA7.jpeg

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice backpack. The dangling 40-150 makes me very nervous.
While wearing the bag, it hangs just as high as it would with a original strap and the Derlin plastic clips, that connects the strap and the shoulder straps, have 50kg breaking strengh each and hold even to -40C.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
While wearing the bag, it hangs just as high as it would with a original strap and the Derlin plastic clips, that connects the strap and the shoulder straps, have 50kg breaking strengh each and hold even to -40C.

I can't help it if I'm paranoid. Hanging camera, wooden floor. It's the stuff of nightmares.

orwell

Mu-43 Rookie
I’ve on just got his hazard 4 blastwall sling backpack, so far I can easily get everything in. There’s room for 15inch laptop if required in the back. The front pocket is large but could do with more smaller pockets inside. I will admit this isnt a cheap or light weight sling pack, but it seems to be very well made. it very comfortable to wear with a wide well padded shoulder strap and it comes with a removable waist belt and extra straps for adding stuff to it.
65B7C788-3FE9-4CBC-A236-20A621385F17.jpeg
725C934E-902E-4DE4-A308-5AF76B5D6A5B.jpeg
28306770-1904-4749-BC53-7E9486CDC6FE.jpeg
5F7E91BD-FF9B-49CF-AD91-E2E096AA9EBB.jpeg
3BA2324B-D04E-4EE8-8A7D-EF7EA3A1538F.jpeg

Real Name
Walter
EDIT: I’m not sure why some of the images are squished. Hopefully they still get the point across. Or maybe they only look that way on my device.

My like-new-with-tags LowePro Freeline 350AW arrived from KEH today. I liked my previous backpack (LowePro Hatchback 250) but found that the front entry was awkward/scary with larger/heavier lenses.

I’ve loaded it up, and thought I would share some photos, because how stuff fits is always a guessing game for me when I’m looking at bags online.

As with other LowePro gear I’ve owned, it seems sturdy and comfortable. And the side entry seems like it’s going to be nice, although I haven’t actually used it in practice.

View attachment 804897 300mm f/4, E-M5ii w/12-40 2.8 mounted, 40-150 f/2.8

View attachment 804898
60mm macro, P7-14 and MC14, and of course the business end of the 300mm.

The rest of the photos show the top compartment with and without the included accessory organizer.

The bag was discounted at KEH EBay because it was missing the rain cover, but I found the cover in a side pocket!
View attachment 804899 View attachment 804900 View attachment 804901 View attachment 804902

I'm dredging up an old post, but I bought a Photo Active BP200 which is similar in design to the Freeline. The top "compartment" really doesn't have a bottom, that is, the top of the padded module forms the bottom of the top compartment. That means that small items can fall down between the sides. I found some zippered mesh bags to store small stuff to put up there that won't slip down. Or, you could use ziplock bags.

I just saw the LowePro ProTactic BP 300 AW II on their website. It seems to have the similar compartment system and side access like the Freeline and Photo Active, but is a little larger than Photo Active, especially a larger top compartment which makes it very suitable for a combo travel/camera backpack. I think it'd also fit under an airline seat as a personal item. I got way too many bags. There's always another one beckoning. :-O Must resist!

Last edited:

Indianpeaksjoe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I picked up a Chicken Tramper Ultralight Camera Bag recently. There are times you can't use a dedicated photo bag, at that point you put your camera in your pack and miss the shot. These are lightweight, basically not padded but allows you quick access to you camera.

P1180069.jpg

Not being padded is not a problem as it is on your waist, you shouldn't be bumping into things hard enough down there to damage your camera anyhow.

I dig it, in fact I bought another one that mounts on the shoulder strap.

Full review here: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2021/01/review-chicken-tramper-ultralight-gear.html

-Joe

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
@Indianpeaksjoe , that's a great find, and their website has other great gear for ultra light hiking. I've been using a re-purposed Camelback Flash Flo waist pack for hiking to similarly keep the camera accessible. But I really like their customization, it would be great to have a bag custom sized for the camera+lens combo you want to carry.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Looks like a very well thought out bag. The quick access sales pitch doesn't motivate me, but I love the look of the latch system. Hopefully it's as slick as it looks and catches on. Enough with the clips, velcro and zippers.

@John M Flores are you backing it? They're at about 80x their goal, so that's promising.

I do like the quick opening latch system, but I don't like single strap backpacks because they aren't all-day comfortable. In those situations where I need quick access to cameras for an event, I still have my trusty LowePro Stealth Reporter.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Looks like a very well thought out bag. The quick access sales pitch doesn't motivate me, but I love the look of the latch system. Hopefully it's as slick as it looks and catches on. Enough with the clips, velcro and zippers.

@John M Flores are you backing it? They're at about 80x their goal, so that's promising.
It looked interesting, but I wasn't sure if the street price on this bag was $300 when I read the info. page. If so, then I'll probably take a pass.

--Ken

Real Name
Roddy
I do like the quick opening latch system, but I don't like single strap backpacks because they aren't all-day comfortable. In those situations where I need quick access to cameras for an event, I still have my trusty LowePro Stealth Reporter.
Did they not mention a backpack rig in the demo, John?

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Did they not mention a backpack rig in the demo, John?

Oh they did. But the second strap looks like such an afterthought that I don't hold out hope that it will be as good a backpack as I'd like it to be.

Besides, I already have a closet full, and the $300 can go towards something else I don't need.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom