Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Let's get our nomenclature clear, first. Using a sling bag right handed means it hangs on your left shoulder and the straps cross so the bag comes around your right side for access. Using it left handed would be the opposite. The photo in Holoholo's post shows a typical sling for right handed use.

After checking last night I would not recommend using the Tenba left handed. While it can be easily slung that way (opposite) it puts the access zipper on the bottom. Not only can't you access your gear quickly (which to me defeats the purpose of a sling bag), but it means your gear isn't nestled in the bottom of the bag, but pushing on the zippered flap. That would be a deal-breaker for me.

HOWEVER! Having said that and being partially ambidextrous, I'm not sure what downside there'd be to wearing it right handed. The only task you need your right hand for is to pull it around front for access. Once you've done that the entire bag is on your chest/belly and you could use either hand to open it, etc.
I must be an oddity then, I’m left handed but always sling over my left shoulder. Even when carrying a two strap backpack on a single shoulder it always feels better on my left shoulder.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I must be an oddity then, I’m left handed but always sling over my left shoulder. Even when carrying a two strap backpack on a single shoulder it always feels better on my left shoulder.
Then you should be all set!

I eat and write left handed. I can hammer a nail with either hand. Everything else is done right handed.

Now that I think about it, having never seen a left handed camera, I guess there's no reason for a left handed bag!

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Funny you said that, I wondered while reading and responding why no one makes left handed sling bags. I reasoned that its probably the only style bag you'd need to be hand-specific, and the population group is so small they can ignore it.
In my research I’ve found that most sling bags are designed to sit on the right shoulder, with only a handful designed to sit on the left shoulder (and even fewer that allow the user to select either).

Whilst in the minority, us lefties represent 10% of the population, in the UK that’s 7m, and in the US it’s a whopping 33m... although not all of us are in the market for a sling style camera bag 😉

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for your help guys.

I’ve decided to plump for the Mindshift Photocross 13. The Tenba is a nice looking bag and was tempting but the extra room for non camera stuff, the extra weatherproofness and the rear tripod position of the MS swung it for me in the end... that, and a very good deal on a secondhand one came up so Father Christmas is going to get it for me!

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
In my research I’ve found that most sling bags are designed to sit on the right shoulder, with only a handful designed to sit on the left shoulder (and even fewer that allow the user to select either).

Whilst in the minority, us lefties represent 10% of the population, in the UK that’s 7m, and in the US it’s a whopping 33m... although not all of us are in the market for a sling style camera bag 😉
There are also some backpacks that have side access (like the Photo Active BP 200 I mentioned earlier) that you could use on either side, depending on how you pack the bag. Here I show it open on one side (I've since reconfigured the dividers so I can put more inside).
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]02/q0L8KF

There are several other backpack models that have access from either side.

Thanks for your help guys.

I’ve decided to plump for the Mindshift Photocross 13. The Tenba is a nice looking bag and was tempting but the extra room for non camera stuff, the extra weatherproofness and the rear tripod position of the MS swung it for me in the end... that, and a very good deal on a secondhand one came up so Father Christmas is going to get it for me!
I've had the Photocross 10 for a couple of years now, don't think you'll be disappointed.. it's very well made and and well thought out.

Has anyone tried the LowePro Sport 200 or 300?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just picked up a used E-P5. I plan to use it as a prime kit with my Pany 14mm f2.5, Pany 20mm f1.7, and Sigma 56mm f1.4.

I'm looking at a used Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home (V2 with the single strap) and have read multiple reviews and images online. I like the bag but am concerned it may be too large for the gear I'm carrying. Crumpler 4MDH looks too small.

Any Crumpler fans here to give me their opinion. Thanks.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Then you should be all set!

I eat and write left handed. I can hammer a nail with either hand. Everything else is done right handed.

Now that I think about it, having never seen a left handed camera, I guess there's no reason for a left handed bag!
I have an Exa IIB. Left handed. Rumoured so it could be used with scientific equipment. Adjusting controls with the right hand and releasing the shutter with the left.

macabee

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Barry King
Like many others I have collected many bags over the years, eventually bags from two manufacturers have stayed the course Billingham and Domke, both are devoid of useless functions, but do the job of protecting the photographic equipment. Furthermore they are not made in a far east sweatshop but in the UK and USA respectively.

Billingham bags do not require the application of a rain cover, as the fabric construction ensures the contents will stay dry even in a torrential downpour.

I have used Billingham bags for over 40 years and I swear by them and not at them.

Transalp01

Mu-43 Regular
I am thinking on buying a LowePro Flipside Trek 350 for short day hikings. Will it fit E-M5 III with grip, Oly 12-40 and Oly 40-150/2,8 when 40-150 is mounted?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom