Bags and more bags

Real Name
Roddy
There's a link in my first post above, good luck! I really need to talk to Pat about collecting a commission or free gear for all the referrals... :biggrin:
I saw the link but it only took me to a review. I found a direct link there, but the website is a bit goofy on my Macbook. Not sure if the issue is my end or their's. But no matter what, the €20 Trekker will do the job for now. It had a day's walkabout in the city yesterday as I waited for my son to go through his university initiation day, and it was perfect. Thanks for the help, though, much appreciated.

Cook1e

Mu-43 Rookie
For clarification: what's this for? :confused-53:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cook1e

Mu-43 Rookie
Maybe just for hanging stuff from? I often end up with torches, luggage tags & bottle-openers/gerber-tools on mine.
Possibly, yes. I'm going to try hanging a tripod also.

More heads guessing is good, but I was kind of hoping that somebody had an F803 from new and there was something in the instructions. :rolleyes:

sturgeon

Mu-43 Rookie
Possibly, yes. I'm going to try hanging a tripod also.

More heads guessing is good, but I was kind of hoping that somebody had an F803 from new and there was something in the instructions. :rolleyes:
I've had one for years. I think the side clips and D-rings are for whatever you want. It's a messenger-style bag, and I've found clips useful to attach a waist strap when I'm on my motorcycle, to keep the bag from flopping around.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Looking for a bit of advice on a new bag...

I’ve narrowed it down to either a Mindshift Photocross 13 or a Tenba Solstice 10l. I like the size of the Mindshift but have read that the strap can be a bit uncomfortable when fully loaded, and the Tenba looks ideal other than the tripod and bottle holder are one the same and the size might be a touch too small for camera and gear + day trip stuff... I’d be interested in anyone’s experience with either of these bags, or if there are any alternatives that can be recommended.

Below are my main requirements, any help and advice is welcome.

Thanks, Chris.

• Sling backpack style preferably but I’m open to small backpack. Sling should be suitable for left shoulder (I’m left handed).
• Going to use it for hiking and city day trips.
• Suitable for EM10ii + 2 or 3 lenses, flash, along with spare batteries and other sundry items. Max sized lens at the moment is P45-175 but I’m looking to get either the O75-300 or P100-300 next year. Also needs to be able to accommodate an EM1ii instead of EM10ii (maybe as well as on occasions) as I’m looking to get a new camera body next year.
• Needs to be able to carry a tripod and a water bottle externally.
• Must have room for some non photography items... snacks, sandwiches, pac-a-Mac, etc.
• Ideally room for a tablet or other large-ish flat items like a folding reflector.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim

I’ve narrowed it down to either a Mindshift Photocross 13 or a Tenba Solstice 10l. I like the size of the Mindshift but have read that the strap can be a bit uncomfortable when fully loaded, and the Tenba looks ideal other than the tripod and bottle holder are one the same and the size might be a touch too small for camera and gear + day trip stuff... I’d be interested in anyone’s experience with either of these bags, or if there are any alternatives that can be recommended.

Thanks, Chris.

• Sling backpack style preferably but I’m open to small backpack. Sling should be suitable for left shoulder (I’m left handed).
• Suitable for EM10ii + 2 or 3 lenses, flash, along with spare batteries and other sundry items. Max sized lens at the moment is P45-175 but I’m looking to get either the O75-300 or P100-300 next year. Also needs to be able to accommodate an EM1ii instead of EM10ii (maybe as well as on occasions) as I’m looking to get a new camera body next year.
• Must have room for some non photography items... snacks, sandwiches, pac-a-Mac, etc.
• Ideally room for a tablet or other large-ish flat items like a folding reflector.
I have the Solstice 10l. It's my favorite bag. I can easily fit G9, 12-60 f/3.5, PL 50-200, and a prime, usually the 15 or 25. 4 batteries, cards, wipes, a monopod or light tripod, etc. I can set the dividers up so any of those lenses can stay mounted with the other two vertical.

I have a Mindshift Turnstyle 5 too, and size aside the Tenba has much better access. When you swing it around front to get to your gear, the zipper at the wide end goes around the corner so you have an actual flap instead of just a slit like on the Mindshift.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter

Thanks, Chris.

I have the Photocross 13 so my comments are restricted to that.
Yes, it's a left shoulder sling. I could use either shoulder with a sling, but am accustomed to wearing it on my left shoulder even though I'm right handed. The strap is not wide or thickly padded, but I've not found it to be uncomfortable. I've packed what you see below and carried it comfortably for short walks. Have not taken it on long hikes. For the latter, I prefer to use a backpack to spread the load to both shoulders. The strap is wide where it joins the bag, but it narrows where it goes over the shoulder and across the chest. It's still pretty comfortable though. (image from ThinkTankPhoto website)
1604879229272.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The 13 will be ample for your kit. I can pack in an Oly 100-400 with foot and hood, EM1.3 w/12-100 attached, plus EM5.3 body and an extra lens or two. Could substitute a large flash for the extra body. Room in the front pocket for extra batteries, wipes, and sling strap.
I use the side pocket for a water bottle, and if needed can strap a monopod to the front of the sling with the Gatekeeper straps. I don't usually take a tripod with me, but it probably could accommodate a light tripod.
The Photocross doesn't have a dedicated compartment for non-photo items such as snacks or sandwiches. Depending on what else you put in the front pocket, you could put Clif bars or similar in there. I wouldn't put crushable items (like a sandwich) in the front pocket if you're going to carry a tripod on the front. Unless you pack your sandwich in a plastic container.
I think it has a dedicated compartment for a tablet or small laptop. A folding reflector that folds up small would fit.

The Photocross is really well made and designed. If you're packing a smaller EM10 kit with the largest lens being the 100-300, the 10 might even work for you.

I bought a LowePro Photo Active BP200 AW as a travel camera/backpack on sale. It has dedicated space for camera gear, side access, a top compartment for non-photo travel essentials and a compartment for a hydration pack or a laptop. I chose it because it would fit under an airline seat, yet be an all-in-one personal item bag. I've used it for short photowalks too, and although the shoulder straps aren't as well placed as they would be on a ThinkTank or Mindshift bag, it's not bad. It doesn't hold as much as my Photocross 13, but it'll take the Oly 100-400, EM1.3 w/12-100, and space enough for an additional lens or body, so it works well for a travel kit after I reconfigured the dividers.

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Let's get our nomenclature clear, first. Using a sling bag right handed means it hangs on your left shoulder and the straps cross so the bag comes around your right side for access. Using it left handed would be the opposite. The photo in Holoholo's post shows a typical sling for right handed use.

After checking last night I would not recommend using the Tenba left handed. While it can be easily slung that way (opposite) it puts the access zipper on the bottom. Not only can't you access your gear quickly (which to me defeats the purpose of a sling bag), but it means your gear isn't nestled in the bottom of the bag, but pushing on the zippered flap. That would be a deal-breaker for me.

HOWEVER! Having said that and being partially ambidextrous, I'm not sure what downside there'd be to wearing it right handed. The only task you need your right hand for is to pull it around front for access. Once you've done that the entire bag is on your chest/belly and you could use either hand to open it, etc.

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
It amazes me that some manufacturers do not even seem to realise that people are different.
Funny you said that, I wondered while reading and responding why no one makes left handed sling bags. I reasoned that its probably the only style bag you'd need to be hand-specific, and the population group is so small they can ignore it.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
I have a few different backpacks, including one from Mindshift and two from Think Tank, and one sling, the Photocross 13. I keep coming back to the Photocross 13 as I just like the bag and it carries my EM1.3 and 5 main lenses lenses perfectly, plus has a water bottle pocket and added straps for my light stand. The lenses carried are the Oly 12-40 and 40-150 f2.8 Pro with MC-14, the 17mm f1.8, the 75mm f1.8 the 42.5 f1.2 P/L Nocticron, and sometimes if I know I am going wide, the 7.5 f2 Laowa. In the the full length tablet slot I carry a iPad 4 Mini. My desert portrait kit with my Godox transmitter and V860-O flash and 9 screw on metal filters weighs close to 7kg, and for this reason I added a 12" slide-on padded strap cushion from Amazon for $11. Plus I have the Peak Design capture clip mounted on the strap for when I use the 40-150 and the added strap helps spread the weight a bit.

Given what you will carry I think the strap will be just fine. The bag is very well built and durable, I love that the bottom is rubberized material and protects the bag.

Last edited:
Real Name
Roddy
Funny you said that, I wondered while reading and responding why no one makes left handed sling bags. I reasoned that its probably the only style bag you'd need to be hand-specific, and the population group is so small they can ignore it.
I need a left-sided bag because the right hand must always be ready, for that rare instance when the Force spontaneously calls upon it. I can't duel left-handed with a Light Sabre for shit, even when using the 7.2 Version with the auto-cleave feature on. Sigh.

(I'm not really a Star Wars fan - the words just came out the keyboard by themselves. I'm sipping a wee dram, so blame that.... :))

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I need a left-sided bag because the right hand must always be ready, for that rare instance when the Force spontaneously calls upon it. I can't duel left-handed with a Light Sabre for shit, even when using the 7.2 Version with the auto-cleave feature on. Sigh.

(I'm not really a Star Wars fan - the words just came out the keyboard by themselves. I'm sipping a wee dram, so blame that.... :))
You should consider then the Tenba Solstice 10L. It has a pocket for a light sabre.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom