Bags and more bags

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
I backed the initial PD messenger bag, and for what it’s worth, its an incredibly well made bag... for everything but my m43 camera gear... its just too big front to back, and even my bigger lenses needed extra padding just to not shake around. See if you can find a store that will let you try putting some gear in one before buying

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Okay. I feel a little like I've dropped into a party where I don't know whose birthday it is and I don't "get" the music.

I know that some folks really like and collect bags. I also understand that bags have different uses, not limited to how much space they have. In the film days, I had a big-a** Tamrac, in which I carried two bodies, I dunno how many lenses, a flash, batteries, film, meter...on and on. I'd never carry that much crap now. When I got a pretty substantial Four-Thirds rig, I got (I think) a LowePro that was like a soft briefcase; carried the camera and lenses, big over the shoulder strap plus a handle. Lotsa room. Heavy. Still have it because of the capacity. I also have a backpack that carries the Pen-F and vintage adapted lenses + hoods. And an older "gadget" style bag that the IR camera lives in. And a tiny Olympus bag that the M5.2 and the two kit lenses live in; I grab that one for travel.

So, when it comes down to it, I don't "love" any of them. I don't "hate" any of them either. I want to want a PD backpack, but am not enthused about the side entry. That LowePro Trekker a few posts up looks like a good option if I wanted a little more capacity than the backpack I have. But is it abnormal that I just can't work up a Jones for a new bag?
You may need to think about turning in your membership card.

Blasphemer...

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Okay, mebbe I can solicit some advice. (Heaven help me...)

I mainly shoot from the trunk (boot, for the brits) of the car. Well the rear hatch, but that's genuinely splitting hairs. Meaning, I load the camera and lenses in the car, go to where I'm going to shoot, and if I'm walking around I take the backpack with me, and set the whole thing down to change lenses, hoods, etc. Or, I just grab the camera, attach the lens and go shoot what I'm after. If I need another lens, I have to either go back to the car or stuff it in a pocket. So, a good bag option would be something skinny into which I could drop 3-4 lenses and hoods, maybe a spare battery and maybe attach a tripod or monopod. Unless I happened to be carrying the IR camera as well as a regular one, I don't really need room for a mounted camera+lens combination.

So, what'cha got?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Well, I ended up with the Tenba Solstice 10L. Looks very similar to the ThinkTank Turnstyle with a few different features. I like the bags that open fully along the side so that all of the major components like lenses and flash are accessible. I don't care for the bags that have a compartment flap to get the camera, but you have to take it off and lay it down to get to everything else.

I wanted the ThinkTank initially, but had some Amazon $ to spend from my anniversary gift at work and TT wasn't available. I discovered the Solstice while searching and think it'll be perfect.

View attachment 736389
Okay, mebbe I can solicit some advice. (Heaven help me...)

I mainly shoot from the trunk (boot, for the brits) of the car. Well the rear hatch, but that's genuinely splitting hairs. Meaning, I load the camera and lenses in the car, go to where I'm going to shoot, and if I'm walking around I take the backpack with me, and set the whole thing down to change lenses, hoods, etc. Or, I just grab the camera, attach the lens and go shoot what I'm after. If I need another lens, I have to either go back to the car or stuff it in a pocket. So, a good bag option would be something skinny into which I could drop 3-4 lenses and hoods, maybe a spare battery and maybe attach a tripod or monopod. Unless I happened to be carrying the IR camera as well as a regular one, I don't really need room for a mounted camera+lens combination.

So, what'cha got?
Look no further. I love this bag, and it fits everything I need for a day out unless I want both the 50-200 and the 100-400. Sling pack, so you don't have to take it off to access. I also have a Think Tank Turnstyle, this blows it away for access when you have it slung on.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Look no further. I love this bag, and it fits everything I need for a day out unless I want both the 50-200 and the 100-400. Sling pack, so you don't have to take it off to access. I also have a Think Tank Turnstyle, this blows it away for access when you have it slung on.
I have the Mindshift Photocross 13 sling. It's deep (wide) enough to take the 40-150+MC-20 with tripod foot, EM1.3 w/12-100 mounted, and room for more lenses and other items. It's my main everyday bag, although I have quite a few others. It'd take the 50-200 easily. Not sure about the 100-400, but it might fit as well. They also have a backpack version of it.

Real Name
David
I'm very afraid that I may not be deep enough in sin to post on this thread since I own only 3 bags.
When I first realised that, for the first time in 20 years after a long dalliance with point-and-shoot, I needed what used to be called a gadget bag, I bid on eBay for a Billingham 335. It looked good. It looked English. It was just like me. I won the auction and paid £135 for this gorgeous example of craftsmanship which arrived on time, nicely packed. I seriously doubt if the previous owner had used it five times: even the brass studs on the base were unscathed.
Then I unwrapped it, plumped it up and looked at it. Examined its straps and buckles, its ample padding and myriad pockets and then I stepped back and stared. I didn't know whether to store my kit in it or sleep in it. I had to accept that it was HUGE.
After a while I filled it and picked it up. Carried it around a bit. I felt like a recruit on induction to the SAS. A serious and detailed examination found Billingham's little label hidden in a pocket and it told me that I owned a 445.
Clearly this bag was too big for all but the most heavily-infected sufferer from GAS and it had to go. When I woke the next morning there it was still, glorious, immaculate, capable and gargantuan. It looked at me and said "I'm staying, aren't I?" "Of course you are", I said.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Two bag questions for the knowledgeable folks.

1, Any thoughts on a small messenger style bag for carrying a Pen-F with a normal prime (O17/P20/O25) mounted + O45. I have the Domke F-5X/B, but looking for something potentially less "camera"-ey for walks around town.
2. I managed to hurt my left rotator cuff so my Mindshift Photocross 10 sling is not working out for carrying my bigger kit (E-M1 + 12-40 + 50-200SWD). Any backpack options which people really like? I haven't really carried a camera backpack since I moved to m43 and have never been a big fan, but times change. I do own the Mindshift Panorama 22L for day hikes, but would prefer something a little smaller. The Photocross backpacks are an obvious choice, but would welcome other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Two bag questions for the knowledgeable folks.

1, Any thoughts on a small messenger style bag for carrying a Pen-F with a normal prime (O17/P20/O25) mounted + O45. I have the Domke F-5X/B, but looking for something potentially less "camera"-ey for walks around town.
2. I managed to hurt my left rotator cuff so my Mindshift Photocross 10 sling is not working out for carrying my bigger kit (E-M1 + 12-40 + 50-200SWD). Any backpack options which people really like? I haven't really carried a camera backpack since I moved to m43 and have never been a big fan, but times change. I do own the Mindshift Panorama 22L for day hikes, but would prefer something a little smaller. The Photocross backpacks are an obvious choice, but would welcome other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Hey Sameer, I just picked up a ThinkTank Urban Access 13 backpack for use around town and travel. Thinktank had a 20% sale (still going, I think). It'll carry your kit with ease. The straps are comfortable and it even has a padded waist belt to take part of the load. I think finding a backpack with a padded waist belt would be helpful to you. It does make getting stuff out a little more difficult than just swinging the sling over to your side, but the benefit of spreading the load would help with your shoulder immensely. On the other hand, you'll have to do some arm twisting to unhitch the backpack from one shoulder and swing it around, so that may also cause some pain. Not sure if there's any way around that.

I don't like waist packs, but that might be an alternative. Hard to find one to accommodate the 50-200 SWD though. Maybe another sling that can be slung across the right shoulder? I've seen some slings that can go either way. The Photocross is made to go over the left shoulder.

I sympathize with the torn rotator cuff. If you heal on your own with some therapy, it takes a long time. My right rotator cuff tore, so I had to have it surgically reattached. Convalescence and therapy took a while, but it's OK now. Because it was my right shoulder (right handed), I was able to carry stuff on my left shoulder, but activities like photography were definitely curtailed for a while. Hope yours heals soon.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Thanks, Walter. Been in PT for the last 4 weeks after dealing with the pain for a few weeks while we were sheltering in place. Feels a little better, so fingers crossed that it will heal without surgery.

Looking at that Thinktank backpack right now. Looks really nice. I wish I could try it in person, but might order online and see how it works out. Great idea on the right shoulder sling. Will search and see what I can find there.

Hope you are enjoying the E-M1.3. I was planning to pick one up for lax season this year, but covid intervened.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Thanks, Walter. Been in PT for the last 4 weeks after dealing with the pain for a few weeks while we were sheltering in place. Feels a little better, so fingers crossed that it will heal without surgery.

Looking at that Thinktank backpack right now. Looks really nice. I wish I could try it in person, but might order online and see how it works out. Great idea on the right shoulder sling. Will search and see what I can find there.

Hope you are enjoying the E-M1.3. I was planning to pick one up for lax season this year, but covid intervened.
Hi Sameer,

Here's some shots of it just after I got it, compared to my modified LowePro Fastpack BP 150 AW II. The latter bag is a good travel backpack for light camera loads, like an EM1.2 w/12-100, and two smaller lenses. It won't carry something like the 40-150 Pro or 50-200 SWD. The Urban Access 13 will. I'm hoping it'll still fit under the passenger seat as a personal item.

(link removed. Ask me if you really want to see it. Thanks.)

One thing for sure, the shoulder straps on the Urban Access are much better than the ones on the LowePro, which wanted to slip off my shoulders. You almost have to use the sternum strap to keep them in place. The Urban Access is bigger but more comfortable on my back and it has a padded waist belt to support bigger loads. Anyway, you can see my comments with the photos.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Hi Sameer,

Here's some shots of it just after I got it, compared to my modified LowePro Fastpack BP 150 AW II. The latter bag is a good travel backpack for light camera loads, like an EM1.2 w/12-100, and two smaller lenses. It won't carry something like the 40-150 Pro or 50-200 SWD. The Urban Access 13 will. I'm hoping it'll still fit under the passenger seat as a personal item.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/c7Xz3U

One thing for sure, the shoulder straps on the Urban Access are much better than the ones on the LowePro, which wanted to slip off my shoulders. You almost have to use the sternum strap to keep them in place. The Urban Access is bigger but more comfortable on my back and it has a padded waist belt to support bigger loads. Anyway, you can see my comments with the photos.

Hope this helps.
@SVQuant, LowePro has a sale on the Photo Active BP 200. It might carry the 50-200 SWD. If I knew this was going on sale, I might not have bought the more expensive Urban Access 13 for a travel photo backpack, altho I admit the shoulder straps and waist strap of the Urban Access are very nice. Not sure about the Photo Active. https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/photo-active-bp-200-lp37260-config/
The larger Photo Active BP 300 is also on sale. https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/photo-active-bp-300-lp37255-config/

It looks like they have a new Slingshot model that slings over the right shoulder. But, it has the pocket and flap configuration I didn't like, which is why I modified by Fastpack BP 150 AW II for side access only. Looks like it's suitable for a light kit.
https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/slingshot-sl-250-aw-iii-lp37335-pww/

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
@SVQuant, LowePro has a sale on the Photo Active BP 200. It might carry the 50-200 SWD. If I knew this was going on sale, I might not have bought the more expensive Urban Access 13 for a travel photo backpack, altho I admit the shoulder straps and waist strap of the Urban Access are very nice. Not sure about the Photo Active. https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/photo-active-bp-200-lp37260-config/
The larger Photo Active BP 300 is also on sale. https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/photo-active-bp-300-lp37255-config/

It looks like they have a new Slingshot model that slings over the right shoulder. But, it has the pocket and flap configuration I didn't like, which is why I modified by Fastpack BP 150 AW II for side access only. Looks like it's suitable for a light kit.
https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/slingshot-sl-250-aw-iii-lp37335-pww/
@SVQuant, I just ordered the LowePro Photo Active BP 200. I'm going to compare it to the Urban Access 13 and decide which one to keep. Can't keep both. LMK if you're interested in either one.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
@SVQuant, I just ordered the LowePro Photo Active BP 200. I'm going to compare it to the Urban Access 13 and decide which one to keep. Can't keep both. LMK if you're interested in either one.
Thanks, Walter. I haven't had a chance to think more about this. Looking forward to your comparison. I'll do some reading up in the mean time and let you know if I would be interested in either of them. Cheers

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
While I await @Holoholo55's review of the LowePro, I shortlisted a few other bags.

Thinktank retrospective 15 backpack
Wndrd Prvke 21
Peak Design Everyday 20L

They are all expensive and a little hipsterish, but I actually like the look. And may justify them by claiming that they would be great travel bags if we ever get on a plane again

Any thoughts from users?

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Thanks, Walter. I haven't had a chance to think more about this. Looking forward to your comparison. I'll do some reading up in the mean time and let you know if I would be interested in either of them. Cheers
Update: The LowePro came in yesterday. Just did a quickie comparison with the Urban Access 13.

@SVQuant, It's kind of a toss-up. The Urban Access can definitely carry more and bigger gear, but it has a smaller "travel" compartment, and might be a tight fit under an airline seat. The Photo Active is smaller, but can carry the 40-150 f2.8 Pro + MC-20 + tripod foot along with the EM1.3 w/12-100 Pro mounted. That's a pretty serious kit. And, it has a larger top compartment for travel necessities, which I would need if I was using it as a personal item bag along with my carry-on roller bag for travel. I'll be going to the Big Island (Island of Hawaii) in August to do some work at my house and try to get in some shooting, maybe some BIF. So, I want to take my 40-150 Pro+. Hmm... what do you think?

I already have an F-Stop Kenti backpack, so I don't need another big backpack. I'm leaning to keeping the Photo Active and moving the Urban Access 13 out. The LowePro Fastpack is going to move on.

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Update: The LowePro came in yesterday. Just did a quickie comparison with the Urban Access 13.

@SVQuant, It's kind of a toss-up. The Urban Access can definitely carry more and bigger gear, but it has a smaller "travel" compartment, and might be a tight fit under an airline seat. The Photo Active is smaller, but can carry the 40-150 f2.8 Pro + MC-20 + tripod foot along with the EM1.3 w/12-100 Pro mounted. That's a pretty serious kit. And, it has a larger top compartment for travel necessities, which I would need if I was using it as a personal item bag along with my carry-on roller bag for travel. I'll be going to the Big Island (Island of Hawaii) in August to do some work at my house and try to get in some shooting, maybe some BIF. So, I want to take my 40-150 Pro+. Hmm... what do you think?

I already have an F-Stop Kenti backpack, so I don't need another big backpack. I'm leaning to keeping the Photo Active and moving the Urban Access 13 out. The LowePro Fastpack is going to move on.
@SVQuant. Sorry, Sameer, one of my friends offered to buy the Urban Access. I was trying to figure out how to ship it, but that problem was solved. I'm keeping the Photo Active 200 as I feel that it would be a better fit under the airline seat as a personal item for carry-on. The backpack straps on the Urban Access were more comfortable, but the Photo Active is acceptable. I took it on a short hike yesterday and it was OK. Now, if ThinkTank made an Urban Access 11 or something, that might have been perfect. Another friend bought the FastPack, so that's gone too.

Last edited:

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
@SVQuant. Sorry, Sameer, one of my friends offered to buy the Urban Access. I was trying to figure out how to ship it, but that problem was solved. I'm keeping the Photo Active 200 as I feel that it would be a better fit under the airline seat as a personal item for carry-on. The backpack straps on the Urban Access were more comfortable, but the Photo Active is acceptable. I took it on a short hike yesterday and it was OK. Now, if ThinkTank made an Urban Access 11 or something, that might have been perfect. Another friend bought the FastPack, so that's gone too.
Thanks for the update. Glad you found homes for both of your spare bags. I've been really busy with work and have not really had a chance to think about this any further. Though I am tempted to get one of the hipster bags I mentioned above. I'm sure it will go with the ponytail I am sure to have before the pandemic ends 😊

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Thanks for the update. Glad you found homes for both of your spare bags. I've been really busy with work and have not really had a chance to think about this any further. Though I am tempted to get one of the hipster bags I mentioned above. I'm sure it will go with the ponytail I am sure to have before the pandemic ends 😊
I just got my hair cut this weekend, after almost five months (didn't go before the lockdown). Whew, what a relief.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom