Bags and more bags

EDIT: I’m not sure why some of the images are squished. Hopefully they still get the point across. Or maybe they only look that way on my device.

My like-new-with-tags LowePro Freeline 350AW arrived from KEH today. I liked my previous backpack (LowePro Hatchback 250) but found that the front entry was awkward/scary with larger/heavier lenses.

I’ve loaded it up, and thought I would share some photos, because how stuff fits is always a guessing game for me when I’m looking at bags online.

As with other LowePro gear I’ve owned, it seems sturdy and comfortable. And the side entry seems like it’s going to be nice, although I haven’t actually used it in practice.

BE7BE3A2-7581-4BC8-993B-ACEF276708FA.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
300mm f/4, E-M5ii w/12-40 2.8 mounted, 40-150 f/2.8

E040474E-3691-48C7-A60D-BC353EA39702.jpeg

60mm macro, P7-14 and MC14, and of course the business end of the 300mm.

The rest of the photos show the top compartment with and without the included accessory organizer.

The bag was discounted at KEH EBay because it was missing the rain cover, but I found the cover in a side pocket!
3FC6E9D3-E78E-44F9-B753-6726B521FDC3.jpeg
118677ED-7F0D-4837-B402-2ACC33CD55E2.jpeg
B33A8530-AB99-4D86-85FA-9C29D1BE4558.jpeg
B345BD76-CE77-49A5-BA43-449058F0B3FF.jpeg

Last edited:
My like-new-with-tags LowePro Freeline 350AW arrived from KEH today. I liked my previous backpack (LowePro Hatchback 250) but found that the front entry was awkward/scary with larger/heavier lenses.
I’ve loaded it up, and thought I would share some photos, because how stuff fits is always a guessing game for me when I’m looking at bags online.
As with other LowePro gear I’ve owned, it seems sturdy and comfortable. And the side entry seems like it’s going to be nice, although I haven’t actually used it in practice.
I've been tempted by this bag, but there seems to be very few dividers.
With large lenses it's OK, but is this usable with smaller ones?

I've been tempted by this bag, but there seems to be very few dividers.
With large lenses it's OK, but is this usable with smaller ones?
Yes, I was thinking this when I put the 7-14mm and 60mm macro on the one side. They are kind-of swimming in holes that are too big for them, and I have lots of lenses smaller than these. However, the solution seems simple enough - more dividers. The entire inside surface of the "quickshelf" camera insert is velcro friendly, so it would be easy to add more dividers. I have used extra dividers from my graveyard of other camera bags in the LowePro HatchBack 250 for the same reason. If you don't have a graveyard of old bags (but really, who doesn't?? :biggrin:) I think you can buy some basic dividers at nominal cost.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
We are going to be going to the Cotswolds for two weeks in June to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We will be out all day and I wanted something that can hold maps, water bottles, etc. when I happened to see this new Wotancraft bag. I like Wotancraft products so I pre-ordered it, it will arrive in March. I will use it with an insert and will likely carry 1 - 2 lenses with one body. https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/lightning-rider-green-canvas
The bag came and I am sending it back, it came in the wrong color and it does not seem very practical to me.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Yes, I was thinking this when I put the 7-14mm and 60mm macro on the one side. They are kind-of swimming in holes that are too big for them, and I have lots of lenses smaller than these. However, the solution seems simple enough - more dividers. The entire inside surface of the "quickshelf" camera insert is velcro friendly, so it would be easy to add more dividers. I have used extra dividers from my graveyard of other camera bags in the LowePro HatchBack 250 for the same reason. If you don't have a graveyard of old bags (but really, who doesn't?? :biggrin:) I think you can buy some basic dividers at nominal cost.
Don't be afraid to mod the bag to suit your purpose. I did some mods to my LowePro Fastpack BP 150 AW II to convert it from side/front opening to side opening only. I can use it as a my personal bag for travel and have some room for other travel essentials. It'll fit easily under the seat. This is from a previous post.

Original config. You have to open the front to get full access to the compartments, which means you have to lay it on a flat surface or risk stuff falling out if you have the bag hanging from your shoulder. Never liked this design.
49148496002_7894b7fc37_w.jpg

After the mod. Full access from the side. No need to open the front, thus keeping gear safe when swung around to the front of my body.
49148497482_50c5d281c7_w.jpg

More pix here. https://www.flickr.com/gp/92624968@N02/q05Am2

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
These SmallRig pouches look nice and only half price of the Peak Designs Pouches

SmallRig Accessory Pouch Looker PPP2392
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-accessory-pouch-looker-ppp2392.html
pouch1.jpg

SmallRig Accessory Pouch Pioneer PPP2396
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-accessory-pouch-pioneer-ppp2396.html
pouch2.jpg

Last edited:
I got a new waist bag I have been using for my Pen-F and a few lenses. I have been doing 2-3 hour hikes regularly since the social distancing recommendations and have been using almost every day.

Full review here: https://robonza.blogspot.com/2020/03/review-ula-burst.html

-Joe "I admit I have bag addiction"

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom