Bags and more bags

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I picked up this Lowepro Nova 200 shoulder bag for $69 shipped, on sale. I had to get it in the camo finish, the black isn't on sale.
https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/nova-200-aw-ii-lp37142-config/

Beside the normal requirements for a camera bag like bump protection, water resistance, good construction, etc., I have one main criteria: I must be able to bag the camera with the lens mounted. Any lens. I do not want to stop and dismount or change lenses to put the camera in the bag. That also means any of the lenses have to fit separately in a compartment. This bag, though a bit large, does that. Definitely not walking around bag, it will serve well at events like races, air shows, etc. when I need longer glass.

Any lens will fit in any of the three larger lens compartments or can be left on the camera. Only the flash compartment and the one holding the 25 aren't interchangeable, and for that matter the 12-60 will fit on top of the 25 easily with a horizontal separator should I ever add another large diameter lens. I have a lot of separators left over. Check out the photos or video in the link.

Other nice features are all metal buckles and loops, a LOT of pockets and compartments around the outside and interior, including a slot for a tablet or small laptop. One complaint: For a bag this size, the lack of ability to attach a monopod or a lightweight tripod seems absurd.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1030010m by telecast, on Flickr

2mnycars

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
DaveL
wow, the new slings fix what I didn't like about my 10L sling. they are more messenger like. Except I kinda want both 3 and 6, lol
I had a PD 5L sling; the strap came apart! I caught it on the way to the floor. No damage; I was ticked.
Turns out they have a clip that stops the strap from falling apart. They shipped it to me quickly, and free.
Based on that, I bought the 6L sling when it came out.
It has just enough more room to make it really useful to me.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I actually bought both 3L and 6L... and ended up returning them both. I ultimately like to carry water with me, and the sling just didn't work well for that. Also, having been so long since I used my 10L regularly, I forgot how much more clumsy using the zipper is for me vs just a flap. But they seemed nice. Still not quite comfortable carrying it as a messenger, heh.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Tenba axis 20L is here, really like the bag, seems to be very well made and distributes weight very well. Feels much heavier holding it vs wearing it. Probably should have gone with the 24L after test fitting everything but I normally dont take every piece of equipment I own to a shoot so I can make it work. View attachment 732335 View attachment 732336 View attachment 732337
Hard to beat Tenba Axis for the price, great backpack. Replaced my Peak design every day backpack with a Tenba Axis 24L

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
For urban and open air events shooting I prefer to use one of my bags that can hang over my chest. That way I can keep an eye on my gear in a heavy crowd. I have been using an unbranded one that I found on the internet for some time now, which has all the right bits in the right places to make me feel comfortable, and has everything within a convenient location for quick access.

P1090288.RW2.jpg

I sometimes use the water bottle space to put a P14-140mm or P45-175mm instead.

My new G90 and PL12-60mm just about fits.
P1090296.jpg

I have been evaluating the Olympus Camedia WCON08B on the PL12-60mm at the wide end, so that's why it's in the bag at the moment. I also carry about a power bank in case I need to keep the G90 running if I am doing video for example. I haven't tried this particular setup out for long, but from my initial trials it is a very welcome option.

P1090300.jpg

The bag has a USB feed through port so that the G90 can be powered from the power bank with great convenience.

NoSeconds

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Troy
I was skulking around the interwebs for leatherwork project ideas and somehow this fellinto my shopping cart and activated PayPal one touch...

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Dear bag aficionados,

I occasionally shoot and record music performances in small settings. For these days, I end up carrying
* EM-1 1 with 12-40 Pro attached
* E-M10.1 with 17/1.8, 25/1.8 and 45/1.8
* Godox TT350 and Godox trigger
* Audio recorder (similar size to the TT350) with cables
* Audio-technica ATH-M50x headset
* Small tabletop tripod
* Spare batteries, USB chargers and power bricks.

I end up carrying these in two bags at the moment. Add the video tripod and I am seemingly always a hand short.

Looking for a good bag which will allow me to quickly setup and teardown as well as give good access to lenses as I swap, etc. I am partial to canvas and budget recommendations, but all ideas are welcome.

Last edited:

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Dear bag aficionados,

I occasionally shoot and record music performances in small settings. For three I end up carrying
* EM-1 1 with 12-40 Pro attached
* E-M10.1 with 17/1.8, 25/1.8 and 45/1.8
* Godox TT350 and Godox
* Audio recorder (similar size to the TT350) with cables of
* Small tabletop tripod
* Spare batteries, USB chargers and power bricks.

I end up carrying these in two bags at the moment. Add the video tripod and I am seemingly always a hand short.

Looking for a good bag which will allow me to quickly setup and teardown as well as give good access to lenses as I swap, etc. I am partial to canvas and budget recommendations, but all ideas are welcome.
My first reaction is maybe the Retrospective 7/10/30 (the 20 gets way too tall IMO). Can kinda do a tripod on top, but not if you want to change lenses, too. Also, no where near budget, heh. Though, if v2 doesn't have anything you need, maybe find a used v1?

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
We are going to be going to the Cotswolds for two weeks in June to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We will be out all day and I wanted something that can hold maps, water bottles, etc. when I happened to see this new Wotancraft bag. I like Wotancraft products so I pre-ordered it, it will arrive in March. I will use it with an insert and will likely carry 1 - 2 lenses with one body. https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/lightning-rider-green-canvas

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We are going to be going to the Cotswolds for two weeks in June to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We will be out all day and I wanted something that can hold maps, water bottles, etc. when I happened to see this new Wotancraft bag. I like Wotancraft products so I pre-ordered it, it will arrive in March. I will use it with an insert and will likely carry 1 - 2 lenses with one body. https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/lightning-rider-green-canvas
I like Wotancraft bags as well, I often look at the Trooper series. The only thing that worries me are the leather straps that have those holes to go over the spigots to keep the bag closed, often wonder how long before they become loose.

Those expensive packs they make look really nice as well but well out of my budget, but I still like looking....

Real Name
Chris
I like Wotancraft bags as well, I often look at the Trooper series. The only thing that worries me are the leather straps that have those holes to go over the spigots to keep the bag closed, often wonder how long before they become loose.

Those expensive packs they make look really nice as well but well out of my budget, but I still like looking....
I have 2 Wotancraft Trooper bags. The Medium and the Small (for my Pen F kit) and love them. The straps on mine are in great condition, and I have no worries about future failures. Tough as buggery.
Have tried many bags over the years, these cost me a bit, but no regrets at all.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have 2 Wotancraft Trooper bags. The Medium and the Small (for my Pen F kit) and love them. The straps on mine are in great condition, and I have no worries about future failures. Tough as buggery.
Have tried many bags over the years, these cost me a bit, but no regrets at all.
That's good to hear. One question regarding the sizes if I may. I have been looking at the M & L sizes. I have looked at David Thorps review of the Medium size a few times and for one body with lens attached say Panasonic 100-300 or Oly 40-150 pro plus one spare lens say Panasonic 14-140 or Oly 12-100 plus a flash and small tripod I thought the Medium may be a bit small. Especially if the upcoming Oly 100-400 turns out to be ok it would replace my Panasonic 100-300.

Do you think the M or L would be best for the above kit. One body two fairly large lenses and a flash and table top tripod.

I have subscribed to their news letter just so I don't loose touch with their gear.

Real Name
Chris
That's good to hear. One question regarding the sizes if I may. I have been looking at the M & L sizes. I have looked at David Thorps review of the Medium size a few times and for one body with lens attached say Panasonic 100-300 or Oly 40-150 pro plus one spare lens say Panasonic 14-140 or Oly 12-100 plus a flash and small tripod I thought the Medium may be a bit small. Especially if the upcoming Oly 100-400 turns out to be ok it would replace my Panasonic 100-300.

Do you think the M or L would be best for the above kit. One body two fairly large lenses and a flash and table top tripod.

I have subscribed to their news letter just so I don't loose touch with their gear.
With my EM 1 MK2 I carry the 40-150 Pro, the Oly 17 and 45 Pro lenses and either a Sigma 56 or 30 1.4, or even the Oly 75mm 1.8 in the Medium.
The 40-150 pro is usually fitted with the mc-14, but I carry it sitting vertically in bag, and am still able to close and secure the straps.
It might be a different story if I had the 40-150 fitted to camera placed in bag, would need to do some rearranging.
The M is bigger than I thought it might be but reckon it may meet your needs.

I know, I've already got one in black wax canvas but couldn't help pulling the trigger when I saw the multicam version...

Plus this one is cordura so it's like a completely different bag... :biggrin:
I have to admit I have the Genesis backpack I use for work travel to carry my laptop and iPad and the Bootstrap bag for similar use. Their new Mission Attache is calling my name !

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser

I have the medium Trooper plus a number on English bags that have those leather straps and I never have had an issue with any of them, not even signs of wear or fatigue. I am sure that most bag companies would replace them if one should fail.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser

My Olympus 40 -150 Pro (not mounted), body with lens, and third lens fit easily into my medium Trooper.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom