Bags and more bags

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Whoops. G9 with the PL 50-200 and P 12-60.
"The main compartment and lens pocket should be sized so either lens fits and the camera can be placed in with either lens mounted. That, a couple of batteries and cards."

Hmm... A holster bag that could take either combination mounted + extra lens pocket isn't likely. The 50-200 is compact, but still twice as big as the P 12-60. Compact Camera Meter

The disparity makes it hard to find something to fit your requirements. It would have to be sized to fit the G9+50-200, plus a pocket that would fit the 50-200 unmounted, If I understand you correctly? I've seen largish holster bags that could take the G9+50-200, but few that had extra pockets that would take the 50-200. You might consider a belt mounted option that would have a holster for the G9+50-200 and a separate lens bag like the LowePro Lens Exchange Case 100, which unfortunately is no longer made, but could take either lens and facilitate rapid lens changes. Not saying there isn't one that will fit your needs, but I've not run across one. :)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Yup, that's the problem. I found one by case logic that was holster-ish but not deep enough to hold the camera suspended with the 50-200 mounted. I'll likely have to go to a shoulder bag.

I have a couple of nice sling bags but they're too big and heavy for these trips to the track. All I need are the two lenses and batteries, really. Maybe a packet of lens tissue.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Yup, that's the problem. I found one by case logic that was holster-ish but not deep enough to hold the camera suspended with the 50-200 mounted. I'll likely have to go to a shoulder bag.

I have a couple of nice sling bags but they're too big and heavy for these trips to the track. All I need are the two lenses and batteries, really. Maybe a packet of lens tissue.
I would have suggested a sling bag because I find them generally more useful and more comfortable than a shoulder bag. Dunno what you have already, but something small like a Thinktank Turnstyle 5 or Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L might do.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Have a TT 5, not even close. My main bag is a Tenba Solstice, similar to a TT 20. Also have a knock PD Everyday, same size. I may try and adapt it for cross body and just carry less.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
I think that I might have found my perfect bag (for the price) . It won't suit most as I prefer sling bags capable of carrying 4 combos that are easily accessible without removing the bag. I have a bad back and sling bags afford me the opportunity of slinging to the front if I need relief when slung on the back, or even carrying it slung over one or other of my shoulders. It's the best padded shoulder strap that I've had, and I've had a fair few and it fits perfectly on my shoulder unlike some that sit across my chest.

I don't like changing lenses and nearly always carry 4 combos if I'm out specifically for photography. I'll do a review when I've been out for the day with it but here's the sling bag, and yes, I can fit 4 bodies with lenses attached. It's light and not as well padded as the lowepros but I don't intend rolling it down a mountain so it'll suffice as it seems as well padded as any messenger bag types that I have seen. Lowepro takes some beating for the thickness of padding but that adds to size and weight.........this bag seems just right IMHO as the thinner padding allows for a more "pliable" bag that affords a bit of stretch if packing in a lot of gear.

Unlike the dipstick in the ebay photos, I won't be opening the front when the bag is in a vertical position. I've already tried it, and the bag tilts easily so that the front opening faces upwards and I can access all kit with no fear of dropping any and without removing the bag from my body.

CADeN D15 Camera Sling Backpack Single-Shoulder Camera Bag Messenger Bag B4R5 | eBay

And here on Amazon US https://www.amazon.com/CADeN-Backpa...era+backpack&qid=1562250373&s=gateway&sr=8-18

And here on Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/CADeN-shou...mera+backpack&qid=1562250474&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I found some closeout Vanguard Up-Rise bags on Amazon and purchased 2 of the II 22 shoulder bags for $15 each. This should be exactly what I'm looking for, just enough room for a camera lens-down and a spare lens, a couple batteries, etc. They have a decent selection left, being sold by Ritz. You have to go to the Ritz website to get internal dimensions.

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-II-22-Shoulder-Accessories/dp/B008S94LTQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=12HF4FPRXQURE&keywords=vanguard+up-rise+ii+22&qid=1562254816&s=gateway&sprefix=vanguard+up,aps,169&sr=8-3

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
The Vanguard came today. I think it's going to be the perfect walking around bag when I want more than one lens. Extended, it's reasonably snug top to bottom with the G9 and mounted PL 50-200 but not scary tight. There's enough space for a spare lens, in this case the P 12-60. One of my pet peeves is having to mount a specific lens to the body so it all fits. In this bag I can have either lens mounted and have the other in the spare compartment.

Also in the bag are 2 spare batteries, 2 spare cards, some lens tissues, a pen and small notepad, and my earplugs. I could squeeze in a bit more if needed, but not much.

The space left for a spare lens is pretty generous. The PL 12-60 it'd be no problem to use in the same manner. Anything longer like the 100-400 would fit, but you couldn't mount it.

Real Name
Roddy
I was fortunate enough to get a Vanguard Havana 21 for my birthday recently. It's not the most glamorous or well-regarded make out there, but it's the first real camera bag I have ever had apart from the old fashioned boxy shoulder bags from the 80's. I do not have a serious amount of 4/3 kit, but it was still quite a surprise to see I could cram everything I have in there as the bag does seem quite small.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What can I put in it? The answer is surprising - the G6 with the P14-140 mki attached, the P 12-32, the P30, the Sigma 60, two Raynox achomats with a clip-on holder, two cleaning cloths, a tabletop tripod, CP filters for all the lenses, a Nichia 219 torch, two spare batteries, small tool-kit, my phone and wallet, second SD card in its case, a penknife and a Micro Leatherman, and the raincover in its pouch at the bottom of the main compartment for additional padding. I also carry two straps for the camera (one heavy duty all-day carry with Peak Design clips, and one neck-strap for social occasions - even if 95% of the time I hand-carry it with a home-made wrist-strap).

Typically the 14-140 stays at home which makes life easier - when this is the case I have the P30mm attached to the body as my walkaround lens. The reasoning behind this is it is actually on the camera and ready to use when the macro gods catch me unawares and give me just ten seconds to photograph something on the terrace table! (you may have noticed that I like my macro quite a lot, :) )

If you're looking for a Tardis of a small bag, with a decent strap and a zipped top opening that makes retracting a camera very easy, have a look at the Havana series. I may well get a #41 backpack in tan for longer trips, as I like the way the Vanguards are made and the 'feel' of them. It seems plenty of their bags come in both tan and blue, and although my gift was the blue version I would probably get the tan one if I was to replace it in the future....

Interestingly, all my girls in the family like it too. I did mention they could buy their own, the price is surprisingly low. I think mine came from Amazon, here.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I was fortunate enough to get a Vanguard Havana 21 for my birthday recently. It's not the most glamorous or well-regarded make out there, but it's the first real camera bag I have ever had apart from the old fashioned boxy shoulder bags from the 80's. I do not have a serious amount of 4/3 kit, but it was still quite a surprise to see I could cram everything I have in there as the bag does seem quite small.

View attachment 759723

What can I put in it? The answer is surprising - the G6 with the P14-140 mki attached, the P 12-32, the P30, the Sigma 60, two Raynox achomats with a clip-on holder, two cleaning cloths, a tabletop tripod, CP filters for all the lenses, a Nichia 219 torch, two spare batteries, small tool-kit, my phone and wallet, second SD card in its case, a penknife and a Micro Leatherman, and the raincover in its pouch at the bottom of the main compartment for additional padding. I also carry two straps for the camera (one heavy duty all-day carry with Peak Design clips, and one neck-strap for social occasions - even if 95% of the time I hand-carry it with a home-made wrist-strap).

View attachment 759724

Typically the 14-140 stays at home which makes life easier - when this is the case I have the P30mm attached to the body as my walkaround lens. The reasoning behind this is it is actually on the camera and ready to use when the macro gods catch me unawares and give me just ten seconds to photograph something on the terrace table! (you may have noticed that I like my macro quite a lot, :) )

If you're looking for a Tardis of a small bag, with a decent strap and a zipped top opening that makes retracting a camera very easy, have a look at the Havana series. I may well get a #41 backpack in tan for longer trips, as I like the way the Vanguards are made and the 'feel' of them. It seems plenty of their bags come in both tan and blue, and although my gift was the blue version I would probably get the tan one if I was to replace it in the future....

Interestingly, all my girls in the family like it too. I did mention they could buy their own, the price is surprisingly low. I think mine came from Amazon, here.
Vanguard makes good stuff and have been around for years. I use one of their tripods. Check out my link if you're looking for a backpack or sling, they have some of those listed on closeout as well.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Re my post above. This is what the Caden Sling can fit in the main compartment with front and side opening. E-m5mkll gripped with Olly 75-300 hood reversed and in front of it pouch with 8 batteries. E-PL8 lite half cased with Olly 17mm 1.8 hood on, E-M10mkll half cased with Olly 9-18 hood on and to side of it a pouch with panny 25mm 1.7. Closed top compartment has room for another body lens combo which will likely be another E-M10mkll with Olly 75mm 1. 8 or whatever else you wish to put in there. There's also an elasticated pouch on side for water bottle, or, (in Queensland) a sweat cloth :)

Carried it all day yesterday with no problem.

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I bought a Harbor Freight roller case for the E-M1 Mark II and six lenses I plan to use later for some classes and at the mine where I break stuff. I had a coupon for 25% off over the July 4th holiday so I used it and bought it for about $70. Some plucking at the foam and using an electric knife to cut pieces too deep and stuff back into the holes so the lenses wouldn't sit too deep. So far so good. Not crazy about the pull-out handle as I've ripped them out of other roller bags costing a lot more. Even the metal tubular ones I've managed to break the plastic handles off them in time, but for the price I don't care and I can unscrew the sliding thing off the bottom and still use the case by it's two handles.

But that's not all and pretty minor overall as the next thing is beyond cool! :thumbup:

The case's lock I just discovered at another hardware store. Price was high at $50 which got my attention given most padlocks were $10-$15. Closer look showed it to be a "Fingerprint lock" and it was locked to the shelf. Salesperson got it for me and said, "They just got them in and didn't know much about it." I bought it anyway.

This thing is really neat! Once you get it programmed for any of five fingerprints, and a code on the back three buttons if needed, it works well. Blue spinning circle of six blue LED's and it opens in 1-2 seconds. Wrong fingerprint and it spins in red and won't open. Friends have been playing with it all day and all think it is neat too.

It came with a short USB cord and no instructions, but found out online it is to charge it up and lasts for about 6-12 months once it's charged.

The lock (And it is TSA approved also.). Link: BenjiLock® | The Key is at Your Fingertips®

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
So... it's not secure because a TSA key can open it. There are lots of places online to either buy the keys or learn how to make your own. (Sorry, discovering and mitigating security vulnerabilities is my profession.) :hiding:
Yeah, and a squirt of JB Weld into the TSA key hole will fix that! :laugh:

Not that concerned as it isn't going out of my sight anyways.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
You might want to msg this guy and give him some advice... :)

Real Name
Mulyadi Robin
came across a great deal on the Lowepro Passport Sling II - so I pulled the trigger. It's been surprisingly pleasant to use, and I think it might be my number 1 go-to when I'm carrying two lenses and the EM1X. The only drawback is that I would have appreciated more padding at the bottom of the bag.

I'm now very tempted to get the updated model with the tablet pouch.

Real Name
Joshua

So for my recent road trip, I ended up with four bags of gear. Starting at the left....
-------------

A fossil waxed canvas bag, I bought some time ago. It has been my go-to travel bag, and has traveled with me twice to the other side of the world.
Bose Hearphones, Anker 4 port USB charger, Brass flashlight, Leatherman Free P4, Anker USB battery, Cables, Grid-It, Memory Card Reader, Apple Camera USB adatper, and other misc bits.

-------------------

Next up is a ThinkTank Think Tank Urban Approach 5 Shoulder Bag, bought for $30 thanks to this forum. I bought it just for keeping this gear, it all just fits.
USB battery replacement for GX-8, Camera wired remote, Sky Tracker Pro, mount and angled bracket, Anker USB battery with 3D printed tripod clip, Right angle polaris scope adapter of my own design. Olympus pop-up Red Dot sight.

-----------------

Think Tank Perception Tablet Daypack, also for $30 on the same sale as the above. This thing holds a ton. Good bag, except the insides get caught in the zipper a lot.
A cheap tablet, Wired headphones, Articulated Arm (didn't end up using), GoPro Hero 5, Suction Cup mount, Remote, Head mount, and chest mount.
Carbon Fiber tripod, and rock bag for tripod.

------------

Inside the Lumix bag is a Shure MV88+. This is an amazing kit. It connects to USB, Android and iOS. Records in Stereo with adjustable width. It has a headphone output, which when calibrated can be used with the stereo mic input on a M43 camera. I used it to record twenty minutes of an amazing thunderstorm in Colorado, and it handled both delicate rain and thunder without clipping.

--------------------

Finally the main camera bag. A ThinkTank Photo TurnStyle 20.
It houses a double tail cap on a shoulder strap. Perfect for when I only need a few lensed and don't need to carry the whole bag.
A gorillapod, Wipres, 100-300 lens, Macro-lens extension tubes. A bunch of filters and adapters all threaded together with caps.
12mm Samyang, 7.5mm Samyang. 20mm F1.7, Panasonic GX-8, 14-150mm.. Think tank hand strap (A life, and camera saver!)
The colored items are my own custom designed double-sided tail caps. Spare battery, SD cards, card readers and misc tools.

---------------

It all packes into the bag quite nicely. I can pull the camera out without opening the whole bag. The gorillapod however is often left out, or strapped to the side.

Got around to posting a review of the Greenroom136 Metrodrifter. This is a really great bag, perfect for my PEN-F with 3 lenses.

http://robonza.blogspot.com/2019/09/review-greenroom136-metrodrifter.html

P8240108.jpg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
I have gone through a lot of bags and non have really fit the bill until I purchased this waxed canvas, eBay from china bag..

This is not my idea and I'm sure others have done it, but if you look close at the 2 primes stacked you will notice epoxy joining 2 cheap ebay lens butt caps sanded smooth and glued together to keep the lenses from beating each other to death in the bag... Works very well.

P9240206.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom