Bags and more bags

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I am starting to research for a new backpack, or I should say another backpack. I need something that fits in between the LowePro Flipside Trek 350 that I have and a small cloth messenger bag. I like the larger LowePro bag I have, but sometimes I just don't want to deal with its capacity. The messenger bag can be uncomfortable when loaded up. So a backpack for in between sounds like a good option.

Currently I am leaning toward the LowePro Flipside 200 AW. This seems to be about the size I am thinking would work for me. A couple other options I found are the Think Tank BackLight 18L and TrailScape 18 or the Peak Design Everyday mentioned up thread.

Are there more options in the smaller 10L to less than 18L size?

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I am starting to research for a new backpack, or I should say another backpack. I need something that fits in between the LowePro Flipside Trek 350 that I have and a small cloth messenger bag. I like the larger LowePro bag I have, but sometimes I just don't want to deal with its capacity. The messenger bag can be uncomfortable when loaded up. So a backpack for in between sounds like a good option.

Currently I am leaning toward the LowePro Flipside 200 AW. This seems to be about the size I am thinking would work for me. A couple other options I found are the Think Tank BackLight 18L and TrailScape 18 or the Peak Design Everyday mentioned up thread.

Are there more options in the smaller 10L to less than 18L size?
B&H has this model on a crazy price: LoweproPhoto Hatchback 16L AW Backpack (Slate Gray) . I have the newer bigger model and just purchased the Flipside 300 AWII for my Nikon gear, so you might find this to be the right size for what you are seeking. They have a few others on a good sale as well. Take a look at their mega deal zone.

Good luck,

--Ken

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
B&H has this model on a crazy price: LoweproPhoto Hatchback 16L AW Backpack (Slate Gray) . I have the newer bigger model and just purchased the Flipside 300 AWII for my Nikon gear, so you might find this to be the right size for what you are seeking. They have a few others on a good sale as well. Take a look at their mega deal zone.

Good luck,

--Ken
Well that complicates things. At that price it’s almost a impulse purchase.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Well that complicates things. At that price it’s almost a impulse purchase.
I understand. I have the Hatchback 250 (22L) which I purchased for a trip in 2016. The camera compartment is not huge, but it can hold some gear. The top compartment is nice, and I like the way you access the camera compartment by using the waist strap to secure the bag to your body when you swing the pack around. Some may not like this, and others may not like the layout or the size of the camera compartment, but if you don't mind them, then it is an amazing deal.

--Ken

Last edited:

cedge

Mu-43 Regular
I believe the recent LowePro reductions are due to the fact they are releasing a new backpack, the Photo Active 200/300 at the end of this month which look great. I'm definitely going to wait to check out these new models against the current offerings.

Photo Active BP 200

It looks like they are incorporating some Peak Design elements into the mix in terms of their new dividers and also the ability to open the side pockets whilst still being able to store a water bottle / tripod in side pockets.

brlowe

Mu-43 Regular
I just picked up the backlight 18L and really like it. I have the following in it and still have space
Lumix G9
FL-360 flash
25mm F1.4
7-14mm
12-35mm
35-100mm
100-400mm
60mm macro
Filter pouch with filters
7-14mm filter adaptor plus 105mm CPL filter
SD Card pouch with 9 cards in it
Lens pens
Batteries and charger
ExpoDisk
And my tripod mounted on the back.
I do not have anything in the back pockets so I still have room for iPad, laptop and other personal items. I will not be carrying all that gear but I can if needed.

Real Name
Walter
I believe the recent LowePro reductions are due to the fact they are releasing a new backpack, the Photo Active 200/300 at the end of this month which look great. I'm definitely going to wait to check out these new models against the current offerings.

Photo Active BP 200

It looks like they are incorporating some Peak Design elements into the mix in terms of their new dividers and also the ability to open the side pockets whilst still being able to store a water bottle / tripod in side pockets.

The Photo Active looks like a variation of their Freeline, which kinda does copy the Peak Design backpack. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, eh? I like this design too. I prefer side access to back access.
FreeLine BP 350 AW, Black

Last edited:

BB70Chevelle

Mu-43 Veteran
Needing something to carry lighting equipment in for on location shoots, what I need it to hold is a ad600pro, 2 ad200, a godox v1, godox xproO, godox x2t, extensions heads for all flashes, room for batteries and gels and other accessories.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
The Photo Active looks like a variation of their Freeline, which kinda does copy the Peak Design backpack. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, eh? I like this design too. I prefer side access to back access.
FreeLine BP 350 AW, Black
I saw one of these in a bricks and mortar store the other week. Yes, very much a rip-off of the PD backpack, but it didn’t have a genuine premium feel, more like something trying to be premium. Can’t say whether it was more practical or not because that’s a personal judgement and depends very much on the users need. What I was surprised about though was that the price is identical too.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I need a small lightweight bag for specific outings. Looking for a holster style bag with the ability to carry a spare lens. The main compartment and lens pocket should be sized so either lens fits and the camera can be placed in with either lens mounted. That, a couple of batteries and cards.

Any thoughts?

Real Name
Walter
I need a small lightweight bag for specific outings. Looking for a holster style bag with the ability to carry a spare lens. The main compartment and lens pocket should be sized so either lens fits and the camera can be placed in with either lens mounted. That, a couple of batteries and cards.

Any thoughts?

Depends on what body and lenses you’re wanting to carry. Choices will vary depending.

davidzvi

Real Name
David

Any thoughts?
Not a holster and maybe a bit heavier than you're looking for, but....

I recently picked up a Domke F-9 for my E-M1 mkII with Oly 12-100 and Pan 100-300 vII. The F-10 have been more popular, it has room for three lenses and is offered in more color options. But the F-9 is great for a two larger lens combo or one larger and a couple primes. It's my most used bag now for the E-M1.

Attachments

• P6030336.jpg
    P6030336.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 181

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Not a holster and maybe a bit heavier than you're looking for, but....

I recently picked up a Domke F-9 for my E-M1 mkII with Oly 12-100 and Pan 100-300 vII. The F-10 have been more popular, it has room for three lenses and is offered in more color options. But the F-9 is great for a two larger lens combo or one larger and a couple primes. It's my most used bag now for the E-M1.

When I search Domke F-9 I get a much smaller bag?

Real Name
Walter
Whoops. G9 with the PL 50-200 and P 12-60.

"The main compartment and lens pocket should be sized so either lens fits and the camera can be placed in with either lens mounted. That, a couple of batteries and cards."

Hmm... A holster bag that could take either combination mounted + extra lens pocket isn't likely. The 50-200 is compact, but still twice as big as the P 12-60. Compact Camera Meter

The disparity makes it hard to find something to fit your requirements. It would have to be sized to fit the G9+50-200, plus a pocket that would fit the 50-200 unmounted, If I understand you correctly? I've seen largish holster bags that could take the G9+50-200, but few that had extra pockets that would take the 50-200. You might consider a belt mounted option that would have a holster for the G9+50-200 and a separate lens bag like the LowePro Lens Exchange Case 100, which unfortunately is no longer made, but could take either lens and facilitate rapid lens changes. Not saying there isn't one that will fit your needs, but I've not run across one. :)

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Yup, that's the problem. I found one by case logic that was holster-ish but not deep enough to hold the camera suspended with the 50-200 mounted. I'll likely have to go to a shoulder bag.

I have a couple of nice sling bags but they're too big and heavy for these trips to the track. All I need are the two lenses and batteries, really. Maybe a packet of lens tissue.

Real Name
Walter
Yup, that's the problem. I found one by case logic that was holster-ish but not deep enough to hold the camera suspended with the 50-200 mounted. I'll likely have to go to a shoulder bag.

I have a couple of nice sling bags but they're too big and heavy for these trips to the track. All I need are the two lenses and batteries, really. Maybe a packet of lens tissue.

I would have suggested a sling bag because I find them generally more useful and more comfortable than a shoulder bag. Dunno what you have already, but something small like a Thinktank Turnstyle 5 or Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L might do.

Latest threads

Top Bottom