Bags and more bags

roelwillems

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roel
Check out the Kata slings.
D-Light - By Collection - Photo | Kata Bags

I have a 3N1-22 DL, and it is excellent. It can be slung to the left or right depending on if you are left or light handed. It also can be configured as a traditional backpack. I wear it as a traditional back pack till I get close to wear I want to shoot, then I convert it to sling mode.

Thanks for you recommendation. Seems like a well designed bag and will certainly look in to it for day trips. Although for mountain hiking I will need more storage capacity, camel bag and loops for ice picks so a dedicated backpack will be better suited.

I did some additional research and looking in to a F-stop ICU. Possibly the small shallow as I will carry only one setup, for this trip an em1, 12-40 2.8 with a small tripod and (maybe) 40-150 2.8.
The ICU could/should be combined with F-stop packs. And although nice I get the feeling that those bags are more geared towards photographers who venture in to the outdoors vs outdoors people who want to bring (some) camera gear.

So now I'm leaning towards a regular hiking daypack 28/30liter with some easy access to the compartment where the ICU will live (Deuter futura or some osprey pack).

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for you recommendation. Seems like a well designed bag and will certainly look in to it for day trips. Although for mountain hiking I will need more storage capacity, camel bag and loops for ice picks so a dedicated backpack will be better suited.

If you need something with more flexibility, take a look at the Lowepro ProTactic line. They are Military style MOLLE bags with PALS webbing attachment points. The 450 is the largest model and is 27 liters. I have this on my list as something to buy before my trip to Utah later this year.
11312333_857091407714202_1958931965_n.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Hi Lcrunyon, I do not have the Camsafe Z16 but I do have the following Pacsafe bags, Pacsafe Camsafe Z15 Messenger Bag & Camsafe Z25 backpack. What specifically are you looking for that got you interested in the Pacsafe bags?

I can only provide the reasons why I decided to get those bags and that is mainly for a peace of mind where I bought into their marketing that these bags provide more security with their eXomesh slashguards when traveling in countries where theft is a concern. Perhaps, I read too many stories about thieves using razor blades to cut open the bottom of bags and empty your content when in you are in crowded public transportation places such as subways, buses, or trains.

The bags do come with a lot of good security features and the details are available on the web site, so I will only provide a brief summary of my experience. Both bags provide ample room for most of your m43 gear, especially the Z25 backpack. Both can carry a tripod externally, but with the Z25, you will loose the water bottle pocket for the tripod, while the messenger bag allows you to strap the tripod on the front while keeping the water bottle compartment available. Each bag is comfortable enough for me to carry for several hours during city sightseeing but I would not use the Z25 for hiking as an example, for that, I much prefer to use my other LowePro backpacks. Some security features such as the Zip locks were nice in the beginning to use (think peace of mind) but they can also become tedious after a while since they are not the easiest to operate and they do slow you down if you were thinking to quickly access your bag. You can decide not to use the Zip lock of course, but that would defeat the point in buying and using the Pacsafe bags.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the detailed response! I was debating whether I should buy a travel backpack that could hold a 13" laptop, and had pretty much talked myself out of it. My normal travel kit has my camera bag inside my carry-on luggage, which works well. I can fit a full backpack and my travel tripod inside nicely. It's protected, out of my way and easy to move on the plane. For day trips I leave the luggage (and any gear I don't need) in the hotel and take the backpack, and if I need more luggage space for the return trip (souvenirs) I can carry-on my camera bag and check in the luggage.

However, I am over in Europe for a few years, and many smaller airlines here have carry-on restrictions that prohibit my usual M.O. Plus, I recently bought a laptop primarily for travel photography. If I can travel with it in my luggage and have no issues leaving it in the hotel, great. But when one of those conditions don't apply, I'll need a travel backpack that isn't too big but can carry my laptop.

Secondly, some of the places I am visiting apparently have high pickpocket problems, so the advertised security is compelling.

I just ordered it, so we'll see how it goes. I hear you about the lower convenience factor, but it makes sense that this would be a necessary compromise.

yordanrhapsody

Mu-43 Regular
I'm looking at a backpack for my gear
I have a lowepro hatchback 16l for lightweight hike, but I need something bigger for everything or for when I go out with my nikon gear

I like protactic line, but I cannot decide between 350 and 450. the bigger one is a better choice, but I fear my m43 stuff will surf inside those high walls

someone has suggestions to share?

PS. another good backpack I was looking at was thule covert rolltop and peak design everyday (again, 20L or 30L????) backpack... although they are a little on the expensive side

slclick

Mu-43 Regular
If you need something with more flexibility, take a look at the Lowepro ProTactic line. They are Military style MOLLE bags with PALS webbing attachment points. The 450 is the largest model and is 27 liters. I have this on my list as something to buy before my trip to Utah later this year.
View attachment 532726
I have had the Protactic 350 since it's release and I LOVE it. It's one of few bags that I feel completely confident with taking abuse, dropping, taking anywhere (including all over Utah) It's my go to bag for my larger gear and my bag for travel. When I'm using just the Pen F and a couple lenses it's overkill but anything else it can't be beat. When are where are you heading on your trip? Need any advice?

JYPfoto

Mu-43 Veteran
Couldn't help it, but I ended up ordering the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L in Ash. Here's hoping that it'll fulfill my backpack needs.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
I'm looking at a backpack for my gear
I have a lowepro hatchback 16l for lightweight hike, but I need something bigger for everything or for when I go out with my nikon gear

I like protactic line, but I cannot decide between 350 and 450. the bigger one is a better choice, but I fear my m43 stuff will surf inside those high walls

someone has suggestions to share?

PS. another good backpack I was looking at was thule covert rolltop and peak design everyday (again, 20L or 30L????) backpack... although they are a little on the expensive side

I have the Peak Design Everyday Backpack and have a love/hate relationship with it. The vast majority of togs (especially us 4/3 folk) should be able to get by with the 20L (and I remember PD actually recommending it in most cases over the 30L.) However I'm a biggish (but not that big, 180cm, 85-86kg) and the 20L sometimes feels too small for my body.

I have 4 of their bags now (Messenger, Field Pouch, Backpack, Sling) and a number of their straps and clips and the backpack is probably my least favourite (for the size reason).

However. GAS when it comes to camera bags is a class of its own, and I've found that by settling on PD's system, I've avoided collecting a large number of unnecessary camera bags (but have probably paid enough of a premium in PD's bag as a result).

slclick

Mu-43 Regular
The trick to keeping smaller items secure in those taller velcro walls is to put a ceiling on them with extra dividers. However not all interiors are created equal and some velcro doesn't stick well or wears out. My go to bag at this moment for a small kit is a small Timbuk2 Messenger bag with a Ape Case Cubeze interior insert. I just can't do the hipster bags (too much of a euro man satchel) or use my larger bags for such small gear. However between my 4 bags I am still at a point where I wish I had a small backpack which wasn't too long like a Flipside. Maybe flatter than deep and possibly tough like a ProTactic. Maybe like my Incase sling but with two straps. Always on the hunt.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Oh, another thing about Peak Design, they have close ties with 3 Legged Thing and their bags are designed to fit with their tripods. I'm a huge 3LT fan.

Danny Lenihan (founder/CEO/retired standup comedian) kind of inspired me to have a midlife crisis. Mofo's in his mid 40's and still rides a skateboard.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 12.39.48 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 12.39.48 pm.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 90

slclick

Mu-43 Regular
I tried a couple 3LT's but it seemed that they are big on center column extensions and that's not where I go for a stable pod. Feisol. Underrated and 1/2 the price of RRS. My go to.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
363A4843%20copy_20170421115614.jpg

Massdrop have the Think Tank Retrospective Leather 7 (as well as the 5 and 30) as part of a drop with the Retrospective Leather 7 at a low price of US$159.99. I do like the look of these bags I have to say :)

I am looking for a new bag as I want to be able to carry my EM-1 and EM-5ii armed so to speak with the eM-1 having the O 75-300 attached and the EM-5ii with the O 14-150 attached. I do hope to upgrade to a O12-40 PRO and a 0 40-150 PRO and hence would like a shoulder style bag that would carry both cameras with the PRO lens attached and maybe a prime or two, largest being 75 mm.

Would any of these three Retrospective bags allow me to do this?

barry

Super Moderator
View attachment 536467
Massdrop have the Think Tank Retrospective Leather 7 (as well as the 5 and 30) as part of a drop with the Retrospective Leather 7 at a low price of US$159.99. I do like the look of these bags I have to say :)

I am looking for a new bag as I want to be able to carry my EM-1 and EM-5ii armed so to speak with the eM-1 having the O 75-300 attached and the EM-5ii with the O 14-150 attached. I do hope to upgrade to a O12-40 PRO and a 0 40-150 PRO and hence would like a shoulder style bag that would carry both cameras with the PRO lens attached and maybe a prime or two, largest being 75 mm.

Would any of these three Retrospective bags allow me to do this?
Hi, the 7 might be too tight for both bodies with lenses, but the 30 is almost certainly big enough.

scotttnz

Mu-43 Veteran
I picked up a Peak Design Everyday Sling yesterday. It fits all this:

IMG_0435_zpsmmmsfqpg.jpg

Most of the time I won't stuff it quite this full, but it's nice to know I can if I need to. I could probably also squeeze in another small lens or 2, and a larger tripod. The 12.9" iPad is certainly snug. I don't routinely carry it when I go out taking photos, but I'm glad I can fit it in the bag for longer trips.

IMG_0437_zpslzgafsmf.jpg

I carried it around on a brief photo walk this afternoon, and it worked as I expected, giving me easy access to both bodies, making it easy to switch between them, and was pretty comfortable, so I'm happy :2thumbs:

IMG_0439_zpsbldysrry.jpg

Last edited:

barry

Super Moderator
Does anyone have a recommendation for a very compact bag? Just want to hold an E-M10 + 45/1.8 + 20/1.7. Either lens mounted.

I've been searching. Looks like a holster bag may be my best option, like this one: Vanguard Oslo 14Z Zoom Bag (Black) OSLO 14Z BK B&H Photo Video

Any ideas? Thanks.
ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 10 has enough room, but I suggest you try it first before buying to see if you like having the spare lens in the bottom.

davidzvi

Real Name
David

JYPfoto

Mu-43 Veteran
Anyone with the Tenba DNA 10? It looks noticeably smaller than the DNA11 so wondering if it'll fit a minimal amount of gear.

Latest threads

Top Bottom