1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bag To Hold 300mm Pro Plus...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Carbonman, Aug 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I'd like to be able to conveniently haul my E-M1, a couple of 72mm filters, a set of extension tubes, some batteries, 300mm Pro + 1.4 TC, 40-150mm Pro, 12-40mm Pro and 7.5mm FE. I know it's a pile of glass, but don't think I would haul anything more with all those lenses. I might take the 300mm out and substitute the 60mm macro and a flash on occasion.
    I used to have a LowePro backpack in the manual focus film camera days that had a padded bottom pocket for my 400mm. It opened on one end and kept the lens separate from all the other gear. Anyone have recommendations for this heap of stuff?

2. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I would think one of the Mindshift Gear Firstlights would work. I had the 20L and it sounds like it would work.
    IMG_0888.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you are willing to go with a bag instead of a backpack, then the Domke F-2 is a classic.

--Ken

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    One of the mind shift 180s with the optional insert. Add a PD Capture Pro clip for the shoulder strap when you are active with the camera.

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I'd actually prefer a bag over a backpack. I would rather have something slung over my shoulder than pull a pack off every time I need something. The backpack was good for the film days but not so much now.

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You have a lot of choices, but the F-2 is just such a versatile bag IMHO. It can hold a lot, but it is also not too big when you have it half filled. If you have no objections to Domke bags, it is worth a look.

--Ken

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I don't own the new Olympus lens however I do own other telephotos of the same size, the sling bag I use is a Vanguard Uprise 38. It's very deep and has a top zip allowing you to take the camera/lens out without opening the flap (works best if it's in the center). When I bought it it was the only sling bag deep enough to take a 300mm and the 35-100mm f2.0, there's likely other better options now however it served me well for years.

Bags of this size easily fit enough gear to make them uncomfortable and too heavy to wear for extended periods, to partly offset this I used a Domke shoulder pad which made it more manageable by spreading the weight ( https://www.amazon.com/Domke-725-310-FA-031-Office-Shoulder/dp/B00009R86L ). The shoulder pad isn't hugely fashionable however I would recommend trying it no matter the bag you choose as it makes the world of difference.

8. stillwatergal

stillwatergal Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2015
    Sedona, AZ
    Stephanie
    Logo at the Think Tank perception line-either the 15" or the Pro. Lots of space and the 300 can go on the bottom. Still, it's a backpack

9. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I bought a like-new Peak Design Everyday Messenger 15" bag in gray last night for $250 CDN (about $200 USD). Used it today for about 5-6 hours. It will take a little getting used to for making maximum use of the dividers, but is very comfortable and handily holds the gear I took for the day.
    I hauled an E-M1 body, 7.5mm Samyang FE, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 300 Pro, MC-14 TC, 72mm ND & polarizers, 62-72 adapter ring, spare battery, spare SD cards, lens cleaning cloth, neck strap, wrist strap, spare rear lens & body caps, lens brush and some band-aids. I could easily have loaded more in but that was enough for today's outing.