1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bag suggestions for slim woman - bag to be worn on back

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by digital_grrl79, Mar 3, 2013.

1. digital_grrl79

digital_grrl79 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a lady that is slight of frame so I'm looking for a bag that when it is on my back is not too bulky. I do not want a shoulder bag as I have tried them and want something on my back instead.

Here is what I'd like to carry:
    - OM-D with 25mm 1.4 mounted
    - iPad mini or 11" MacBook Air (can be too small for Air as long as it at least fits the iPad mini)
    - iPhone
    - Wallet
    - Extra batteries, lens hood, OM-D flash unit

I bought the incase point and shoot field bag but I have to remove the lens from the body and can't fit a wallet.

Thinking about the incase dslr sling pack but I want to look at all options to see if something smaller is out there. I prefer a bag that is worn on the back as opposed to a shoulder bag but can be one strap or two.

Any suggestions? I have previously owned a Think Tank Retrospective 5 so I know that I prefer a bag worn on my back and not a shoulder bag.

2. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    You might look at the Tenba micro messenger bag, I believe the mini would do what you need, I have the one size up and it carries my camera, four lenses, flash, and 15" laptop, and I still keep finding pockets :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Personally, I like the incase sling pack. I think it is stylish, and well designed for easy access. Slightly small for my need though. There are not that many slim slingbag/backpack choices available, so you might want to look at messenger bags like the one Zariell suggested. Alternatively, I find the Zkin products to be quite stylish (pricey though):
    ZKIN - Collections :: Fairy
    There are many choices, but the one shown in the link seems compact, but should at least be able to hold a iPad mini...

• Like Like x 1
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Maybe a Retrospective 5 ?

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enR5pGgnv3U]think tank photo retro 5 - YouTube[/ame]

Too small for an iPad but a Mini may fit.

Domke f-5XB might be another option - may be a bit to small. But the Ruggedware look is almost as nice as the ThinkTank Retrospective look.

Almost forgot to mention the existing thread featuring all manner of bags acquired by forum members - https://www.mu-43.com/f67/bags-more-bags-593/

• Like Like x 1
  5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    You have to experience a Think Tank bag though to appreciate them. They are incredibly well made -- the best bag I've ever owned.

The Retrospective 5 (which I have in Pinestone) is pretty slim if you don't jam it full of almost everything mft you own like I do, lol. But it can carry an amazing amount of kit.

They are pricey I know for their size but they really are built... well, like tanks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I just bought a Billingham Hadley small. It's superb!! IT can comfortably take a camera with lens mounted and an additional 2 lenses. An iPad can fit in between the bag and the camera insert (btw the camera insert is removable).

Fully loaded the bag could take an OMD with 17mm and 4 other lenses plus iPad and accessories. I must try and take some photos and post them here - just been too busy over the last week.

• Like Like x 1
  7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Retrospective 5 I've been using for a while now, very well made and well thought of for photographers. To fit in an iPad or MBA - take a look at the Retro 7.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    If I'm not mistaken OP had previously own TT Retro-5 [was sold off here to other member]. Bags along the lines of TT Retro or Billingham Hadley are likely not slim enough unfortunately:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Crumpler has slim bags + colorful bags that might work for you!

• Like Like x 1
  11. digital_grrl79

digital_grrl79 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, great memory jsusilo! I did have a TT Retro-5 that I sold pretty quickly. I'm really active and do a lot of bike riding so a bag that sits on my back is a must for me. It doesn't have to be super slim in profile but as long as it doesn't eat up my entire back that would be great. A lot of backpacks/sling bags are made for men and have quite a big area of back that they cover. On me that sometimes translates to sticking up above my shoulders or coming down of my butt. I'm 5'7" so I'm not short... just female.

12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Micro? The mini is still a pretty big bag, it can carry both 13" laptop and an iPad.

Some of the XS Timbuk2's would work and they would ideal for bike riding.

13. mblevins

mblevins Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    I'm a 5'4" guy, and I have an older version of this timbuktu computer bag. I keep my MacBook pro, my OM-D w/ the kit lens plus other computer junk in it. It is actually my work bag that also has my camera in it. I keep the camera in a padded lunch bag in the main compartment. As computer backpacks go, timbuk2's are much slimmer than most and have separate sizes for shorter folks.

14. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    I have Timbuk2 Small Snoop messenger bag. Has a compartment for a tablet, body, and 4 lenses (or other stuff if necessary). It also has a side accessible pocket for a wallet so you don't have to open the bag to reach it. The XS small my work as well but I am not sure if iPad will fit.

15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the XS D-LUX and it has a padded iPad slot. It is the front bag (rear bag is a Tenba mini) with the Haven insert. I also have an XS Snoop insert which fits perfectly.

P1170205 by David Dornblaser, on Flickr

16. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Yea it was supposed to be mini not micro, damned Apple spellchecking :) Sorry for any confusion!

17. FrSteveC

FrSteveC New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2012
    Have you seen the camera messenger bags at Featured
    They are perfect for bike riders. Mini or extra small should work.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Am I the only one who read the title and asked, "Why would someone want to wear a woman on their back, slim or otherwise?"

• Like Like x 2
  19. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Have you considered something like LowePro's Passport Sling?

It might feel like too much of a "shoulder" bag for you, and I don't think it would accommodate your MacBook, but it would certainly be large enough for the iPad mini and the rest of the gear you've listed.

20. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Apologies, I completely missed the bit about wearing it on your back.

I use a small (10-15litre) pack - I took a picture of it and its contents here - https://www.mu-43.com/f67/whats-your-bag-23272/ - I'm sure equivalents are available worldwide. It wears fairly small even when its full, when its empty or half-full you hardly notice its there.

What I left out of the picture was the fact I use a couple of small Lowepro containers to protect the camera inside the pack (because the bag has no structure other than foam back padding and some internal webbing)

In another thread someone pointed to these nifty Hill People bag thingys - Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

Might be a too tight a fit for a camera and iPad though.