Bag Suggestions for E-M1 Mark II with 12-100 f4

Wolfman53

Mu-43 Regular
Hello All,

I have an E-M1 Mark II arriving tomorrow and my main travel lens will be the 12-100mm.
I would like either a holster or messenger style bag as small as possible to hold the above (without the lens hood extended).
It would also be nice to be able to carry one of my small f1.8 primes (25mm or 45mm) along with spare battery and cleaning pen.
Do you knowledgeable people have any suggestions?
I already have a mirrorless mover 25, but would like something a little smaller and snugger.

Thanks,

Mike

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
The Peak Design 5L Sling meets your criteria, though I use the 10L Sling a lot more so I can also carry sunglasses in a case and up to 3 lenses, a small notebook or other goodies if need be.

solidsnake

Mu-43 Regular
i posted this recently on the other bag thread, but with a caveat that yes, you can still put the two primes in it, but might have to be on TOP of your camera, thus defeating the purpose. i will check later on, to see if it can fit below it using the divider.

sorry, we have a newborn and time is limited to type on a computer.

had to change my avatar from my fallout 76 anticipation, yikes that was a bad choice...

i digress....got the 3L black version, and being my first peak design sling bag, i am very happy about it.

no pics, so sorry, been busy, but on a quick note,
1. very similar to size to the tenba DNA 8, i dont use the DNA 8 due to difficulty taking my camera in and out.

2. the oly EM1 mkii with 12-100mm fits perfectly, moving the flap to the side, or if you put it underneath to form extra cushioning, you can keep the lens hood on and it fits perfectly.

3. i can also add my 12-32 panny underneath, and try to tuck in stuff here and there. otherwise it fits what i want - a bag similar to the thinktank holster 10 v2.0, to hold only the camera and a lens cap battery and maybe a charger. nothing more.

very satisfied with my bag.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
you can still put the two primes in it, but might have to be on TOP of your camera, thus defeating the purpose. i will check later on, to see if it can fit below it using the divider.
Which brings up an important criteria that the original poster needs to answer. Because for me being able to pack what I need to bring is a bit different than how the bag will actually be used when I am walking & photographing. So to your point, a bag where I had to put the primes on top would not be a problem because I could pack everything, zip it up, and travel. But when photographing I typically will wear my camera (cross chest on my Peak Design Leash) and then use the bag to hold whatever lenses I am not currently shooting with without needing to be putting the camera in/out of the bag. This is of course different if someone wants to be able to keep putting their camera into the bag while walking around.

solidsnake

Mu-43 Regular
but thats the thing, reading into it, was an option, not an important criteria as you seemed to pass judgement on me on.

to your analysis as well, we all carry things differently, we shoot differently, we use things differently. i would normally keep my camera either strung around my neck, and/or somedays, just pull it in and out of my camera bag.

i checked the 45mm, and as much as you CAN technically put it in the bag, i had to switch the way i positioned my camera. normally id end up putting my camera grip facing upward, looking from my right shoulder it would be body grip then lens towards the back. if we squeeze the 45mm and/or the 25mm, you'd have to flip the body upside down, with the grip facing towards the bottom of the bag, and then fit the 45/25mm in the cavity.

my intention was to try to help out the OP with options, and with the dawn of the new peak designs, it might be something he may consider looking into.

(posting time, it shows the black is not available anymore)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
we shoot differently, we use things differently.
Yep, I was simply pointing out that the original poster could let us know if it is important that everything can be put in the bag while walking around & the equipment in in use or are they happy with being able to pack everything even if the manner of packing doesn't lend itself well to in field use. Typically the first one requires a bigger bag while the second one a smaller bag might be acceptable.

solidsnake

Mu-43 Regular
and yet your initial comment was it was a necessity, imperative towards what he was looking for, and not an option.

solidsnake

Mu-43 Regular
actually, reading through it, since it isnt a holster or shoulder bag, then with your logic it completely doesnt meet his criteria.

sorry for trying to help someone else.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
sorry for trying to help someone else.
I'm sorry but did I say something wrong? All I mentioned was that your post brought up a good point and that it would be helpful for the original poster to give us a few more details on how they typically use a bag and camera. And somehow you took it as some sort of attack. :coco:

Perhaps it is just lack of sleep from the newborn.

Slade

New to Mu-43
Perhaps the Pacsafe Camsafe LS would be worth considering, you may not be able to fit the extra lenses in though. I comfortably fit a G85 with 12-100 attached and then the battery grip down the side of lens (have added some of my own padding). The advantage I like of the pacsafe is the anti theft features. I am surprised more camera bags don't adopt some of the locking protections for zips etc that pacsafe use.

solidsnake

Mu-43 Regular
I'm sorry but did I say something wrong? All I mentioned was that your post brought up a good point and that it would be helpful for the original poster to give us a few more details on how they typically use a bag and camera. And somehow you took it as some sort of attack. :coco:

Perhaps it is just lack of sleep from the newborn.
If that was the case you should directed your concern to the op then. Instead of being critical on my initial posting. It wasnt important criteria as you implied, it was an option.

And no, I dont appreciate your comment about my lack of sleep due to the newborn.

To the op I hope my previous information helped.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
If that was the case you should directed your concern to the op then. Instead of being critical on my initial posting. It wasnt important criteria as you implied, it was an option.

And no, I dont appreciate your comment about my lack of sleep due to the newborn.

To the op I hope my previous information helped.
Read @PakkyT’s post again @solidsnake
Which brings up an important criteria that the original poster needs to answer.
@PakkyT was saying your post raises a good point that it’s important for the OP to clarify what’s important to them in order to get better feedback. There was no criticism of you or anyone else.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have the thinktank holsters 10 & 20. The 10 is a nice small size but not sure if the EM1.2 would fit with a quick release plate easily if you use one.
The 20 holds my G85 with a grip but is much bigger overall.
they both extend to hold longer lenses if required. The 10 can hold the 40-150 on my G85 easily and the 14-140 not extended.

I really like the thinktank holsters, and if the 10 fits it is nice and snug and fits into small pack as well where the 20 is getting a bit gig to fit in a small pack

Wolfman53

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First of all sincere apologies for not posting an update on my purchase. I could make an excuse and blame my age but the truth is I forgot!
Secondly many thanks for everyones input. I had read all of the replies but didn't realise the debate was ongoing!
I went for the Think Tank Digital Holster in the end. The zip extension at the bottom of the bag allows me to take another prime with me when the 12-100 is on the camera. I must admit it is a snug fit but that is what I wanted.
I seriously considered the Billingham Hadley which is a lovely bag but I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a camera bag (even if it is worth it).
Maybe I should have waited for Black Friday. I noticed there are some good discounts on offer today on Billinghams website.
By the way I also have a Mirrorless Mover 25i for general storage which sometimes comes out with me when I dont need to travel light and small.
Again, many thanks for the help and sirry gor the late reply!

solidsnake

Mu-43 Regular
Read @PakkyT’s post again @solidsnake

@PakkyT was saying your post raises a good point that it’s important for the OP to clarify what’s important to them in order to get better feedback. There was no criticism of you or anyone else.
you know what, i had to read and re-read the original posting and yes, i might have taken it out of context. for that pakkyT i apologize. maybe i should change my name to not-so-solidsnake anymore. :D

kidding aside, i am sorry. thank you comment23 for graciously pointing this out.

solidsnake

Mu-43 Regular
ill be honest here, i loved my thinktank holster 10 v2.0 in the beginning, but after digging into it several times, it was a bit too tight for to dig my fingers in to get the grip. so i checked and looked for an older holster i had for my d5100 and it was better. not as tight, nor as superb as the thinktank, but gave me room to wiggle in a good grip.

as ive said before we all shoot differently, we all use gear differently. holsters were great, but i seem to enjoy my camera on its side for better access.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom