1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bag suggestion

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jcm5, Jun 2, 2014.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I know there's been some posts already on bags, but I'm curious, is there a bag that can fit an EM10, couple small lenses, and an iPad? I don't want a large (nor overly pricey) bag but the smaller size bags that can fit the camera system doesn't seem to be able to accommodate an iPad.
    Wondering if there was anyone out there who also has a similar setup and has a bag that fits the bill.

2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
  3. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I have a Think Tank 5; don't know if an iPad would fit, but I love it for my E-M5.

4. sircam1

sircam1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    An iPad won't fit in a TT Retro5, but should in a Retro7. Similar styled option to the Retro's is the Lowepro Pro messenger series.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

5. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    I have the thinktank 30i and think the Ipad would fit.

6. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I have a LowePro Messenger 150 that works nicely with my tablet, E-PM2 and several lenses.

7. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Billingham Hadley small, you will hardly find better fit for this job.

8. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    +1

It's a bit pricey, but if you want the smallest and highest quality bag that fits an iPad and is an exceptional match for an m43 system, the Hadley Small is it.

I personally use a Billingham Hadley Pro which is one size larger and for years, I avoided buying one because of it's price. I bought one two years ago and am now wondering why it took so long. I could have saved more money by buying one initially instead of going thru a bunch of other bags that are either long gone or haven't seen use since I bought the Billingham.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I hear you, and I had the same problem. Due to the dimensions of a full size iPad, any bag that will fit it tends to be of the sort that will carry more than just a camera and a couple of lenses, it's more like 3-4 lenses + a body. I ended up getting an insert for a regular women's leather purse that works well for me.

That said, here are some I've found and considered:

Billingham Hadley small - wonderful but expensive (will probably ask for this eventually as a birthday or holiday gift some year)
    F-Stop Millar Shibata - I do own this one - got it in a recent 50% off sale, quite a steal, it's lighter weight than my purse+insert option
    Tenba DNA series - not sure if the 8 will fit a full sized iPad, otherwise the 11
    Timbuk2 Snoop Camera Messenger Bag 2014 version - looks like the small version will fit an iPad, but the XS version won't
    Tamrac Zuma 3 - seems a little too tall to me
    Tamrac Rally 5

There is another bag that was reviewed here recently that also will work, but the name escapes me. It comes only in brown, I think. Perhaps someone will remember the name.

10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Just in case you have an iPad Mini, a perfect bag would be the Ona Bowery. Again, not cheap, but cheaper than the Billingham Hadley Small.

The bag will fit a regular iPad but will not be covered completely.

10719337535_44d05107d3_z.

11. tuxxdk

tuxxdk Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Denmark
    Martin
    May I suggest a F-Stop bag? Or perhaps Retrospective from ThinkTank.

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    The Bowery is a bag I jones over, but it has the least chance of being appropriate or practical for my gear.

As to the brown bag question, I believe it is the Tamrac Apache.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that was the one I was thinking of, thanks.

14. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    TT Mirrorless Mover i30 is my daily carry. Holds an iPad, plus any of the m43 cameras (I have GX7 & E-M1), plus 2-4 lenses, or other stuff. It's quite light and despite being padded enough for me it actually molds a bit to the body if the iPad is not in the internal sleeve. I've been using it pretty continuously when I have the iPad with me since last October.

Any bag which is large enough to handle an iPad needs to be at least as wide and within an inch as tall as the i30. The top slopes down away from your body, so the part against your body is the tallest part and is where the iPad lives.

FWIW, when I'm not carrying the iPad, I prefer the TT Hubba Hubba Hiney, which is essentially the same width and depth but isn't high enough to handle the iPad. I can put the same camera & lens gear in both bags.

15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I use a regular messenger bag, usually a Rickshaw Bag Zero Messenger, and a Crumpler insert.

16. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I used the Bowery with an iPad Mini for quite a while. To keep it protected, I made an insert to go inside, which worked perfectly:
    Photo%20Jun%2006%2C%201%2044%2026%20PM.

17. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    The Timbuk2 Snoop XS will fit a regular size iPad nicely -- however, there isn't any padding in the back of the bag, so the only thing protecting the iPad will be the fabric of the bag.

An iPad with a relatively slim case on it might fit. All I have on mine is the smart cover, and it wasn't a tight fit in the XS.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I would look at a Domke F-803 or J-803. They are good looking bags, and an iPad will fit in the back pocket.

19. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    That's what I have and I agree. I carry my em10 with 12-40 in there along with a 17 1.8 and the 40-150. I could easily fit another prime with the 17 and my 10 inch tablet fits in the back pocket.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

20. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    How do you fit an iPad into your Hadley small?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk