1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Bag solution... GH3 + OM-D + Four lenses (12+25+45+75) + FL600R

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RuffDraft, Jan 26, 2014.

1. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi All,

I'd like to store all of my Micro 4/3 gear in one bag, as listed in the title - GH3 + OM-D + Four lenses (12+25+45+75) + FL600R.

I own a Billingham Hadley Pro, and until I bought the GH3 and 75mm Oly, I was fine - my gear fit perfectly, including chargers etc.

I could still store the additional lenses in the pockets, but they're not as padded as the main compartment.

Can anyone recommend an alternative bag to fit two bodies - with primes attached, as well as an additional two lenses and flash?

I realise that I'm entering the segment of the market where a different style of bag would be necessary.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, with £250 being my limit, I'd be grateful. Thank you!

2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Although boring to some extent I have found the larger Lowepro bags to be superb for larger kits, I do not know how they do it but nth my Stealth reporter and Classifieds seem lighter than a Tamrac bag I have. Alas I prefer the look of the Domkes and Billinghams and on the whole think they are nicer to work out of. So I would suggest looking at a larger Billingham 335 or 445? the F2 or similar Domkes and the Lowepro Classifieds as they all seem good and bags being a personal thing you want to try them for your self. The problem is finding a shop that sells them all near you, though I did ring Amazon to be easy to return to if push comes to shove.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    By store do you mean "store when not in use" or do you plan to carry this around with you?

If you're feeling a little creative you could make your own bag by purchasing a bag that's not readily divided to store camera gear, and then purchase an insert that suits you. The insert goes in the bag and turns it into a camera bag. That's what I've done.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Domke F2 or F6. It depends on how much room you want. Given you have a GH3, I would go with the F2.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If you like LowePro's functionality, the Pro Messenger series (160) also looks like a great bag for the money - more of a ThinkTank vibe than a Domke/Billingham vibe though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. geoawelch

geoawelch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    NH
    Just got the Tenba DNA 11 and love it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I second something like a Domke F2. It has enough dividers inside to hold your two cameras with lenses attached plus the rest of your gears securely in each compartment. The smaller bags might not have enough dividers to isolate the lenses and flash.

I personally use an Incase DSLR Pro Sling Pack to hold everything when I travel, but it does get very heavy when filled up. Then, again, any bag that is filled up with your list of equipment will get heavy...

• Like Like x 1
  8. ramseeker

ramseeker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Grand Island, NY
    Jim
    I vote for one of the bigger crumpler bags. Loads of compartments in the seven million dollar home. I've easily got 2 cameras with lenses and a half dozen other lenses in that thing. Loads of compartments and padding and velcro to keep it all in place. The domke might be better for easy access though, where with the crumpler you do have to dig a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Mostly to carry around with me... I'm thinking for weddings, when I'm shooting a film... I'll be carrying three cameras, with one of those being the size of a lens, the others being the OM-D and GH3. I have considered making my own, but I don't know how easy that would be... I don't have much spare time to go delving into my own creations... but I am always open to suggestions...

Thanks Ken, I've had a look at the F2. In most pictures, it shows a body on either side, with four lenses in the middle - a perfect solution. But if I wanted a lens on each camera body, would there be a way of storing the other two?

Do people recommend ThinkTank's? I think they look pretty good... I'd like a Billingham, but can't see how to fit the gear unless I get their biggest one, which I'm assuming is the 307?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billingham-...=1390865176&sr=1-1&keywords=billingham+hadley

I think the 335 would be too small to house two lens adapted cameras and another two lenses?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billingham-Canvas-Camera-With-Leather/dp/B000JLM2KQ

Thank you, I think the F2 is the most likely purchase if that's the case... I'm surprised how much it can hold!

Hmmm... I'll look into this one too, thank you and thank you to everyone else, I appreciate it!

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Honestly, I think a Domke F2 is way big for your needs. I think that bag is the right size for 2 DSLRs and the much bigger lenses that they use (I used one with my Nikons). I'd suggest that a Domke F3x or a Tenba Vector 3 is more size appropriate for a 2 body Micro 4/3 system with 4 lenses and a flash.

11. geoawelch

geoawelch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    NH
    Not to belabor the Tenba, but it will hold what you list, has padded space for a full size iPad and has zippered access from the top so you don't need to open the Velcro front flap.

Additionally,mthe bottom is waterproof so the bag does not get soggy when placed on wet ground.

There is also a DNA 15 which is larger

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Doug,

How would you pack a GH3 and an OM-D with lenses attached in an F3X? I have an older F3, and no arrangement is coming to mind at the moment.

--Ken

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The F3x has 4 substantial internal storage areas (as well as two large side pockets, a top zipper pouch, and a rear pocket. You can fit 2 M4/3 bodies each with a lens attached, in two of the 4 internal spaces, and two other significant sized items in each of the other 2 internal areas. The side pockets also are each large enough to hold a good sized lens or a flash, or a charger and spare batteries.

FYI, the F3 is actually rather cavernous internally. I used to keep two Pentax 67 bodies and 3 Pentax 67 lenses in it.

14. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Its funny, the F3 was my first bag over 25 years ago, and I loved it cavernous outside pockets. But in the main compartment, I never warmed up to the sewn in dividers and the little velcro divider. I could fit a body with lens in the middle section, and a flash in front of velcro divider, and I could sometimes fit lenses in the two sewn dividers, but it was never easy for me to get gear in or out of the bag. The F2, on the other hand, was a dream come true for me. I can take out and replace gear blindfolded and never miss a beat. And what the F3 is to you, the 803 is to me. That is a small bag that I have shoved more gear into than it ever had a right to hold. These days, I am using an F6 for my m4/3rd's gear.

I certainly do not doubt your fitting the Pentax gear in an F3, but it was a bag that always frustrated me, with the exception of those huge outside end pockets. Nonetheless, I have kept the F3, but probably mostly for sentimental reasons, or because I am a Domke junkie!

--Ken

15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Actually, since I switched to Micro 4/3, I prefer Tenba Vector bags, because unlike the Domke F3, each compartment is well padded, and smaller than those of the various Domkes. The sort of banging around that Pentax 67 gear, or Nikon film gear could easily put up with, I don't think that the m4/3 stuff could handle, and the individual compartments are smaller, and thus better suited to m4/3 sized stuff. I actually REALLY like the Tenba Vector 3, and the fact that it's on sale for $25 from Cameta here in the U.S. is just gravy. In addition to five internal padded compartments, it's got lots of pockets and pouches and an integral rain cover.

http://www.cameta.com/index.cfm?fa=display.search&page=1&keywords=Tenba vector 3

16. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    Personally I only ever use an ordinary rucksack large enough to fit my gear in. Main reason being that I do a bit of travel photography so for obvious reasons always try not to look like a tourist when out photographing stuff. Most dedicated camera bags I've seen are, a) expensive and, b) they scream "expensive camera inside". My present dark coloured Berghaus bag cost me about £30 from our local outdoors shop and has accompanied me on several trips abroad over that last 3 years. It's tough, waterproof, reasonably well padded and big enough to fit in what DSLR gear I need to take, but i can get a smaller one now for my M43 kit. :smile:

D

17. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I am a. bagaholic.
    i have bought two bags after my Hadley Pro.

My Lowe Pro Pro Messenger 200AW is incredible. It is easy to work from. I am glad I bought the largest version of this bag. Predict it will work. I had a TT Retro 10. hated the raincover. traded the bag for a Speed Racer.
    My ThinkTank TurnStyle 20 holds two bodies with lenses attached, and a moderate telephoto zoom. It may be. too small for you. It is my everyday carry bag now.

i haven't found the perfect bag yet.

18. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    ONA Union Street can accommodate your kit and looks stylish while doing so.

[​IMG]

ona-bag-11.