1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bag recommendation please

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Psikat, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Psikat

Psikat New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2012
    Hey all,
    Green horn here :)
    I'm looking for a protective case for my OM-D with HLD-6 fitted + lenses. Ideally I'd want a bag that can be used on its own and also when 'swallowed' by a bigger piece of luggage like a backpack. No pat answers from the various manufacturers websites. Help please!

With best regards, Kat

2. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Hi Kat,

Wht kind of bag are you thinking of? Sling? Fanny? Case? How many lenses and how big are they? What are your limitations/dislikes in a bag so i can help suggest a bag :biggrin:

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am using a Domke F-5XB. I can put my E-M5 with large m4/3 prime mounted (e.g. PL45 with hood) on one side, and then 2-3 primes in the other side. The bag is small enough to stuff into a backpack.

4. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I have the same setup, but with the HLD-6 attached, the F-5XB is too small. I use a Thinktank Retrospective 7 for the OM-D + HLD-6 and telephotos like the 100-300mm. The Retrospective 5 is probably better as a one bag option though. I would recommend getting 2 bags if you dont shoot with the HLD-6 all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for this feedback! Curious if it would fit in the HLD-6 with just the top grip part installed (I am considering ordering the grip), or with both pieces installed, but no lens?

6. Psikat

Psikat New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2012
    Thanks, folks. I think shoulder sling. I have the 20-50 kit lens, the 20mm pancake and the 45mm portrait lens. Possible the 14 f/2.5 to come.
    I might have posted multiple due to erratic connection. Thousand apologies!

With best regards, Kat

7. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    i'd suggest the crumpler haven (Large) or the crumpler nild enthusiast (medium)

the haven will fit in most bags and you can even choose a stylish bag to fit it in (most women don't like camera bags, atleast my girlfriend doesn't :biggrin: )

8. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Hi Psikat, I'm really enjoying my lowepro passport sling, got a blue one cheap on amazon (UK). Not sure on how large the om-d/hld6 is but there's space inside for a prime trinity, e-pl3, nissin flash and 14-150 plus other bits and bobs. You might need a bit more gear outside the padded section - but there's lots of space in it, I just add a spare padded lens pouch or two.

The padded bit detaches so I've removed it and used it in a normal rucksack before, the sling folds pretty small also - though I leave it behind if using the inner in another bag.

Lowepro - Passport Sling

9. Psikat

Psikat New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2012
    Lowepro has announced Passport Sling II. It may be a while before we get it in the UK.

With best regards, Kat

10. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Had a look at the video on the lowepro site, think the only difference is the insert's a different shape and has one more divider...oh and they've added a stripe! Doesn't make a whole heap o' difference, inserts are fairly easy to get/contrive!

The sling's also only about £30!

One thing I didn't check for in advance, I'm not sure how waterproof it is. Doesn't really say much on it's packaging so I'm assuming the answer is "don't go out in a monsoon" :)

11. Psikat

Psikat New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2012
    Has anyone used the Crumpler New Dehli 230? It's available at £20!

With best regards, Kat