1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bag/holster for EM5 with Grip

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by slothead, Mar 7, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I have my EM-5 gripped now and am looking for a holster (preferably - I have lots of standard bags and backpacks) to fit the combo. I have had holsters from Think Tank (e.g., #40 and #50) made for a pro body or a prosumer body with a grip, and ideally that's what I am looking for.

The EM-5 with the grip measure about 5.5 high by 5 inches wide (and of course the depths will be lens-dependent). It looks to me (from my extensive searches) that this is a niche in the bag/holster area that is missing (probably because there aren't many cameras this size/shape). So I'm hoping someone has an idea where I might find what I'm looking for.

2. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Tom, I've tried ones by Lowepro, Tamrac and Think Tank. The best fit I found ultimately was the Billingham Digital Hadley. It gives just enough around its circumference to allow for the fully gripped camera and sufficient width for an extra lens; though not too long an extra lens.

The thing is with holsters is the problem of what to do about all else the photographer wants to bring. Bulb blower, cleaning supplies, a third lens or one that was longer than what would fit in its sidecar position; maybe the small flash for fill; what have you.

Lowepro and others offer the capability to add pouches onto the top loader. That can tend to upset the balance and appearance can suffer. Maybe add another pouch on a strap instead? Then the carry gets complicated looking, especially when the camera comes out, perhaps with it's own strap. The photographer appears all bagged and strapped up.

The realization arises that a small carry bag does the trick. It's one object that holds the camera, the extra lens, the flash, the cleaning supplies, the bulb blower. Prepared, uncomplicated looking.

Here's a few shots showing the Digital Hadley, a waterproof solution that can accept side pouches on either side of it. Pouches can be the large Avea 5 pouch, or the smaller Avea 3 pouch.

Here's a body and two lenses.

IMG_2146_DxO.

Drop one lens in.

IMG_2147_DxO.

Gripped body and lens goes in.

IMG_2148_DxO.

Here's the clearance.

IMG_2149_DxO.

Strap piled atop, if not inserted before camera goes in.

IMG_2150_DxO.

Pull the top down.

IMG_2151_DxO.

Buckled up.

IMG_2152_DxO.

The side view.

IMG_2153_DxO.

The pocket in front of the bag holds a surprising amount. The interior of the bag can hold a small bulb blower or the accessory fill flash unit.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Savas, thanks for the photos. I have a Hadley Small, enough for my EM5 and 4 lenses, mini-tripod and other stuff. I was looking, like the TO, for something for just the camera and one extra lens.

Billinghams are expensive, but cheap in the long run.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Savas,
    Thanks for your input. It does look like the Billingham Digital Hadley works well for this camera form/fit. I tried something interesting just now by trying the EM5 in an older holster that I have kept around for my Nikon D5000. It is a Tamrac 5683 and it claims dimensions as "6 W x 3⅞ D x 6 H (15 x 10 x 15 cm)." The problem with these "triangular" or "conical" cases are that you can never know what the manufacturer cites as "length, width and height" and of course that makes a difference with a camera's fit. So one has to see a camera in the case or test it personally (your images make for a good demonstration).

The Tamrac 5683 just happens to fit fairly well (although it provides very little additional space for other lenses or larger accessories). I will experiment a little more (I am very attracted to consolidating support equipment). In the meantime I will also check out the availability of the Billingham.

5. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    I'd gone to B&H in my trek for a top loading kind of bag for the fully gripped OM-D and that's where I got my experience from. All the while, the Digital Hadley sat in temporary disuse in the closet until rediscovery.

The majority that I saw simply do not accept a gripped camera. Top loaders at the store in the running were either too spacious or too limiting. Like when i got a good fit, meaning easy to slide a hand in there and extract the camera, it was a much larger top loader and long by a long shot. A lot of bag to carry for relatively little content. Others just about fit in the circumference at the top and was fiddly to insert and extract the camera.

One other thing is that the same Digital Hadley can accept my 5DII with it's 24-105. The top closes with no issue. But no other Canon lens I have can get in there and go along for the ride as a second lens choice.

6. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks Savas! Great illustration.
    I added a Billingham pad to mine, after an accident with my Nikon. Hung the bag off my shoulder on my weatherproof coat. Dropped it and smashed a filter...could have been worse!

7. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    Others have posted the Think Tank Hubba-Hubba Hiney bag and demonstrated it filled. I just rediscovered mine and suggest that it's a good complement to the Hadley Digital; for those cases when you want to bring a few more lenses along than the Hadley Digital allows. The Hadley Digital can go on shoulder or cross-body; with the Hubba Hubba Hiney worn on the belt.

I never liked the TT H-HH shoulder strap fixing and the way that the filled bag hangs. Mine loaded was kind of tippy. (kind of like me) ;) I just don't trust the bag worn with it's strap. But I do trust the bag when worn on the waist using my TT skin belt. I had a chance to test it at work one day, loading it with hand tools and working. No tools spilled out of it.

Keeping one bay empty and the two others bearing lenses makes for a reasonably stable swapping platform that takes some weight off the shoulders. The two bags make for a nimble carry with the fully gripped OM-D and up to 4 or 5 lenses.

With this, you conspicuously look like a photographer. It's a purposely arranged carry that is more about weight distribution; versatility; and mobility by bringing two reasonably small bags. Add to the geek factor by rigging a monopod in small-of-back carry location.

8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    ROFLMAO!

9. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    Guys, the Olympus 75-300 II arrived and I tested it mounted with the fully gripped OM-D and into the Hadley Digital. There is no evidence looking at the closed bag of any stress or strain. It might as well have been a 20mm mounted on the body.

It handles that, plus another lens of the photographer's choice. (I presently have riding sidecar with the 75-300 the Panasonic 12-35mm.)

10. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Great follow up Savas! I am so impressed with my Hadley Digital. I bought it to house my Nion D300S with 18-200vr mounted. It does that easily. I sometimes carry that rig with my Nikon grip attached, and Black Rapid strap. That's a tight fit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2mnycars/6205699136/]

It's an amazing bag!

11. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    The Lowepro Off Trail 1 is a good fit for O-MD full grip with 75 1.8 plus hood.
    The two side pockets are just big enough for a FL600R to give you an indication. It's also super light (not much padding).
    The bag has been discontinued, but it frequently shows up on ebay.
    There is also a version 2 of the bag which I haven't tried.
    If you want to carry a bit more, then I would highly recommend the Think Tank Speed Demon. It's one of the few small bags that fits a fully gripped O-MD and is shallow enough to not bury your lenses deep down below.
    Again, I only have tried the V1, but I don't think there is much difference with the V2 except the ability to tuck away the belt has been improved.
    Rudy

12. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Rudy I should look at the Trail bag.
    Question about the TT speed Demon...would you recommend this bag for a new purchaser, or would you reserve your recommendation for someone who has the bag already, but who hasn't considered using it for m43 gear?

Dave

13. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    It's my primary bag and I haven't found anything comparable.
    I can fit the fully gripped OMD with the 75 1.8 plus the P7-14 the O60 and O12-50. I could even fit a second body (no grip) with a pancake on it.
    However, the body would be laying on top of the lenses (with a divider flap between, so this would be more for carrying than shooting.
    The V1 is not as easy to convert to a shoulder bag as the V2 as the belt is more substantial.
    Rudy

Here are some pics with a somewhat different arrangement:
    O75, O60, P20, P7-14, FL600R with space to spare.

Attached Files:

14. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    Rudy, that is well-arranged in there. I found that model to be an effective bag when walking uneven terrain and working near streams. It's handy when doing landscape because all your stuff it right there in front at table height accessible; it can be pushed around back when kneeling or crouching down.

15. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I use the Speed Racer with my dslr gear, sometimes. Huge bag! Shoulder strap does help distribute the load.
    Got it used, trading a TT Retro10 I bought, that didn't suit me. My fault. Good bag for others.

16. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    The Speed Racer is way to big for MFT gear. The Speed Demon is almost perfect being only 7" tall. To make it even better (for my taste), I performed some surgery to remove the front pocket which sticks out and gives you even more of a belly. I also cut the extra length of the belt (melted it to prevent fraying).
    Now it is as narrow as a bag can get with a fully gripped O-MD in it.
    Also, reversing the belt and clipping it on the opposite side makes for a nice carrying handle. Just make sure the bag is zipped up.

Rudy

Attached Files:

17. tbr48

tbr48 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Using a Tamrac 5625

I find that my EM-5 with a full grip and the 12-50mm lens fits comfortably in my Tamrac 5625 top loading bag. I replaced the original strap with an Up-Strap. The bag has three good sized pockets, one on the front, and one on each side although I there isn't room for a second lens. The camera slides in and out fairly easily. I got the bag at B & H and previously used it with my D7000 with the 18-200 VR. Now it houses my EM-5.

18. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks Rudy. I know, and was surprised the Sp Demon is small enough for comfortable use with m43rds gear. However, my Speed Racer s paid for!

You're brave surgically removing that pocket! I admire your skill!

Today I had my Oly OMD with grip, 2 lenses, and my Nikon 1 V1, with Franiec grip and 2 lenses in my Billingham Hadley Pro. The HadPro bulges with the Oly and grip.

I can see using a Speed Demon as an alternate if I needed a bag that is very stable, and very easy to work out of...for instance, skiing. (I used to do a lot of skiing photography. I was a ski instructor for 35 years in Canada.)

19. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Several Lowepro Toploader Zoom holsters fit a gripped E-M5 just fine.

Toploader Zoom 55 AW (suitable for biking, hiking, etc. a chest harness option is available which is great for skiing with a day pack as well)

OMD w HLD6 Grip mounted with up to 3 3/4" (9.5 cm) long lens mounted (or longer with one or no lens stored below)
    - Two lenses up to 4 1/2" (11.4 cm) in bottom of bag
    Room for all sorts of accessories including a FL-50R flash

Need more room, add-on Slip lock modular cases to both sides of case
    Case Size - 7.68 L x 6.50 W x 12.99 H (19.5x16.5 x 33 cm)

Toploader Zoom 45 and 50 also easaily hanle the gripped E-M5 as well as any of the Toploader Pro modls.

20. brera13

brera13 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012