Bag for trip to Turkey

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tol1l1yboy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    Ive spent the better part of 3 days going through the various threads here and looking at bags on amazon. I am taking a 10 day trip to Turkey. I want to be able to carry the following in the smallest bag possible:

EM5 gripped
    14mm f/2.5
    7-14mm
    12-35mm
    40-150mm
    60mm macro
    Rx100 camera
    7" nexus tablet
    light northface jacket

I do NOT want a backpack and I want to go light.

I was looking at the following:

Lowepro Passport Sling
    Domke F-5xc
    Opteka 500c

None of those seem to fit the bill though the Lowepro comes the closest. I wouldnt be able to carry all my lenses in the camera portion of that case but I guess I could leave some stuff behind.

I would like the pack to be as small as possible but still functional. Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? I have about a month to decide haha.

Thanks so much!

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Take a look on the Thinktank Retrospective 7, i just ordered one, haven't arrived yet though... if you are interested, i'll update you in this thread.

The Domke F-5XC has been a well-regarded bag for the Micro 4/3s system.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I have a similar setup.
    OM-D full grip(s)
    P20 (size similar to your 14)
    P7-14
    O40-150
    O12-50 (sized like the O60)
    O45 (your 12-35 is quite a bit bigger)
    This fits extremely well into a Speed Demon without having to stack things.
    The RX100 would very likely fit in the front pocket and the Nexus 7 *might* slide inside the main compartment as well, but I don't know that for sure.
    A shoulder bag will get heavy on a trip, which is why the Speed Demon's padded waist belt is so comfortable. It also gives you a small "platform" to do your lens changes on while standing.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lite sleepeR

Lite sleepeR Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2012
    What about the think tank city walker 10 or 20. Nice light bag should fit the bill nicely for you. Enjoy your trip

• Like Like x 1
  5. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I just got the Domke F-5XC and think, with proper arrangement, it would probably hold everything except the jacket.

I haven't finished playing with mine yet (just got some Kata dividers to use in the bottom part), but it holds:

G5
    14 mm
    7-14 mm
    14-45 mm
    100-300 mm
    PL45 mm macro
    spare battery
    G3 body

There's a pocket on the back that should hold your tablet.

I think I've finally found my perfect bag — I'm very pleased with it!

Enjoy Turkey! It's a photographer's nirvana!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Maybe a regular belt can go around the waist for the jacket; the jacket draped in back of you covering your rear. It's out of the way and not taking up space in the camera bag.

7. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    I bought the Lowepro Event Messenger 150 and just got it today. With the grip attached the bag is too slim. It will close but it sticks out and defeats the whole purpose of the bag and with an ipod in there it is way too bulky.

I really dont want to spend over $100 on a bag. Thinking of trying the opteka or national geographic bags. They look nice and not much like a camera bag.

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Tom, I just got a Retrospective 7 - I think it will be perfect for what you mentioned, you have a Nexus 7 that will fit perfectly for the ipad slot at the back. And I think there's enough room on top of your gear for a light northface jacket.

Overall my impressions of the Retrospective series is it will a well-thought of bag for the photographer, many pockets, and has plenty of rooms for many configurations. I can fit a Nikon D3 + 24-70 2.8 attached and a 70-200 2.8, although this is just about the maximum load and reaching over its limit.

Having said that, I opted for a Retrospective 5 for my use, as originally this was my choice, the 7 came in just as a happy accident, but had to let go of it quickly. Not because the 7 was not worthy, but it was kinda too roomy for my use, I don't intend to stuff my Nikon DSLR kit in there. The Retrospective 5 is just a tad smaller (by 3inches or so) and has no slot for an ipad. A perfect compromise for my use I guess, time will tell.

9. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    I guess my biggest issue is that I really dont want to spend $150 on a bag. I have a domke f-3 bag that I spent that much on and now it just sits there. I hate it. I think Im expecting too much for a $50 to $80 bag.

10. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    This...
    To me, doesn't correlate to...
    Not sure where you're going in Turkey, but that amount of kit sounds like a lot of kit to be stolen, if the worst were to happen.

Do you really need to carry the tablet with you at all times and I can't help but think all of those lenses AND an RX100 is a bit of overkill.

11. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    I hear you. I won't need to carry all of that all the time but I would like to be able to if need be. I'm thinking if I find a bag that can carry all my camera gear then if I don't carry everything with me I'd be able to throw a bottle of water a book and a jacket in it instead if I get the right bag.

12. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I'd say just get a regular bag with a few compartments in it.

When I'm away my stuff goes into a maxpedition jumbo. I've taken one of the padded dividers from another camera bag and that tends to sit at the bottom to give me the feeling that it's got some protection. All in all, none of my camera kit has ever been damaged in it. Lens goes in one side compartment, external water bottle holder, body and another lens in main compartment with room for other stuff, flashgun in the "sunglasses" holder and room in the front compartment for books, keys, pen, etc. theres a rear zip compartment (meant to carry a weapon) that fits a 1st gen ipad at a squeeze.

I can even get a travel tripod in if I need it. My jacket gets draped over the top of the bag. All in all, an prime daypack

13. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    You mentioned in your initial post, "I do NOT want a backpack and I want to go light.", said after mentioning a bunch of gear. Try putting your gear in a shopping bag and weigh it. That's where the weight is going to be, not the camera bag you want to get. Obtain that equipment weight and then add maybe a couple pounds equivalent to a typical bag and that's where you're going to be. If you want to lighten it, start cutting some gear off your list.

14. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    I have a Domke F-5XC. It should just barely fit the gear you list as long as you can scavenge extra dividers from other bags, but you won't have room for a jacket. Here's a thread with a couple different ways to configure the F-5XC (including mine with how I had set it up for a DSLR outfit--I've since added another divider to the top section for my E-PL5 outfit): https://www.mu-43.com/f67/domke-f-5xc-micro-4-3-gear-22199/

There's a pocket on the back that should hold your Nexus 7 no problem. My iPad 2 is a very tight squeeze and my gf has a Nexus 7 so I'm familiar with the size difference.

Any particular reason you don't want a backpack? That seems like the most logical choice to carry the amount of gear you list plus have some room for other things like a jacket. For example...

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T28ryXiK5Yg]Tenba Discovery Daypack: Lightweight Camera Daypack With Space For A Hydration Reservoir - YouTube[/ame]

15. Jon MS3

Jon MS3 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    considered messenger bag inserts? I have a couple, including this one
    I prefer a regular messenger bag, something from an army navy surplus store, with a camera divider insert over most camera specific bags. Also, it would give you the functionality of a normal bag, and be more useful for your tablet, jacket, water bottle, etc.

16. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    I bought a Lowepro Passport Sling. It doesnt look like a camera bag and the insert from my old domke bag fits perfectly in the extra compartment that expands. I really like the way that it hangs and it seems like it will be a good bag for the trip since I can expand it and shove everything in while Im travelling and then shrink it down for when we are walking around and seeing the sights.

I think the only thing this bag needs is some velcro for the two front pockets. Might need to diy this a bit before I leave :)

Thanks for everyone's comments!!!