Bag for G3.......

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I've been scouring the net for a bag to take a G3+14-42, 45-200, flash, possible another lens and accessories.

Trouble is I'm finding them all toooooooooo big :eek: especially height-wise.

I'm sure that one of you can recommend a suitable bag.

I received a free Lumix bag with the camera, sad to say it's poor quality and too small.

TIA

D in W

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Dome F10 for G3, the two lenses and a small flash, or TTP Retrospective 5 if you want a little bigger.

3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I know what you mean about the height of these bags. It adds unwanted material (=weight), and one has to go digging about to retrieve a lens or flash from the bowels of the bag.

I picked up the Tamrac 3336, and I've reviewed it here: https://www.mu-43.com/f67/bags-more-bags-593/index35.html#post165833

The only question for you is whether the length of your tele-zoom will fit. Judging by the published dimensions of that lens, I think it will fit, but you will want to try it out at a store first.

4. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I use a Lowepro Stealth Reporter D100 AW. It's perfect for all my M4/3 gear.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I use a Tenba mini-messenger. There's a writeup and pix in the accessories section

6. aznick

aznick Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Arizona USA
    +1 for the Think Tank Retrospective 5.

7. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Lots of ££££££££££ :eek:

D in W

8. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Again lots of £££££££££ :eek:

I'm thinking about £50 tops.

D in W

9. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I went through a number of bags before landing on this one as a good compromise. It fits my 100-300 in one column, my GH2 with 14-140 in the middle column with the 20mm at the bottom of that column. Then the third column I can put a flash or another couple smaller lenses. It has a nice pocket in front where I keep a couple filters and a spare battery. It's not too big, not too small. It might be a little big for a day trip where you only want to take a lens or two, but I find it works well when I'm not carrying it around all day. For hiking I have a waist pack that holds the camera + 1 smaller lens. This one doesn't really scream camera bag and is a nice sturdy combo of canvas and suede.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-3537-E...WM/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1320507167&sr=8-18

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Paper or plastic?

11. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thanks Andy, I'll give this one a try.

Just £41+ P&P. :smile:

D in W

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yup. My wife and I travel quite a bit -- two carry-ons and one checked bag. Since the carry-ons must contain everything we might need for our first few days at the destination, I do not have space for a pudgy camera bag. So ... no padding allowed! I take reasonable care and have never damaged a piece of photographic equipment while carrying it in an unpadded bag.

Here is my current solution:
    monopod. , Info here: specopstech.com/osc/images/lit/mission go bag final.pdf and here: Special Operations Technologies

The bag has four internal pockets sized for half-liter intravenous bags. They are perfect to take a loose lens or a downward-facing lens on a camera body. You can find many similar bags around the internet, often cheaper, including SoTech's offshore-manufactured option: Special Operations Technologies

We leave for Jo'burg next week. In my bag I have two G1s, one with a 14-140 and one with a 100-300, both with reversed lens shades. I also have a loose 9-18 with shade. There is room for my Metz 48 flash inside but I won't be taking it. The flash is currently in a PALS compatible pouch (Pouch Attachment Ladder System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that can fasten to the webbing on the front of the bag, above that Gitzo monopod. I also have small binoculars and a GPS that can go inside or go outside in their PALS pouches. This organizer Cocoon CPG8 - Cocoon fits perfectly in the front pockets and carries chargers, extra batteries, etc.

Enroute the bag (folded flat and empty except for the organizer) goes into the checked bag. The camera bodies (capped) and lenses go into my carry-on, each in a "sock pouch" and further protected by clothing.

I did tell a small lie about padding. I have added a piece of 10 or 15mm thick foam to the bottom of the bag. Other than that, nothing.

13. Use the Domke F-5XB when packing one body (G2 or GF-1) with 3 lens plus accesories. Lens are 9-18mm, 14-45mm & 45-200mm. Except for the 45-200mm all the other lens can have their lens hoods deployed while in case. The 20mm can be packed in the case if you don't mind stacking in above or below the 9-18mm. For carrying a flash you probably will need to limit yourself to couple lens. Exterior dimensions are ~25 x 12 x 20 cm. Nice compact & light (~500gm) bag that doesn't look too much like a camera bag.

14. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    also have a look at the Lowepro Classified 140aw, it's a bit slimmer and less boxy than the stealth range.

15. oscar_g

oscar_g New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2011
  16. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Domke F-5XB if you don't want your bag to be too deep. I fit an E-P3 with lens and VF-2 attached, two other lenses, and have plenty of room for wallet, Lens Pen, bulb blower, extra batteries and a Canon S95. I could squeeze another two m43 lenses in there if I really wanted to, without much effort. The bag is well padded too, and really small and light considering how much you can squeeze into it (a characteristic of all Domke bags).

Dunno if you can get them in your neck of the woods, probably not new for £50. I buy my Domke bags from B&H because I can't get them locally. For m43 gear, the F-5XB is IMO one of the best bags that you can get.

(P.S. Since I was given a Billingham Hadley Pro recently, my "looks like new" condition Domke F-5XB is gonna be up for sale soon. I've been too busy to do anything about it yet, but would be happy to let it go for $80 AUD shipped (which is right around £50)).

17. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    +2

A great size, seems a perfect fit for my G3, 14-42mm, 100-300mm and 25mm. Just got back from carrying it around on vacation for 9 days, like it even more now and don't regret spending the extra $ for it.

18. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Given the zipper in the 5xb, do you have trouble getting your camera in and out? I want a smaller Domke (I have the f6) just as a grab and go bag for the camera and maybe 1 extra lens.

19. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    No problems, plus the zipper "teeth" are really large (MUCH larger than even zippers on Billingham bags, etc), plastic, and rounded. They pose no threat, and I've never felt like my cameras and lenses were in any danger of being scratched.

20. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks, I'll add it to my comparison list (F8, F9, F10)