Bag for camera plus Olympus 40-150 f2.8 Pro

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
The combination of an Olympus camera body with 40-150 f2.8 zoom and 12-40 f2.8 zoom is one of the most useful and comprehensive outfits to carry around. Perhaps the addition of a small, fast prime lens for low light situations would be useful, but it's no means essential. However, the problem I find, and I'm sure I'll be in good company here, is that when the 40-150 is on the camera the combination is too long to fit in most of my camera bags. The matter is made worse if you keep the lens hood extended, or like me, use a replacement hood that bayonets onto the front.

I have larger bags that will take the equipment, but they're really too big and bulky with too much wasted space for just a camera and two lenses. What's required is a long, narrow top-loader type of bag, but those that I've seen will take the camera and telephoto zoom, but not the standard zoom as well. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Please don't suggest a backpack, though; I don't like them much. A shoulder or sling bag is much more convenient.

AR-Trvlr

Mu-43 Rookie
The combination of an Olympus camera body with 40-150 f2.8 zoom and 12-40 f2.8 zoom is one of the most useful and comprehensive outfits to carry around. Perhaps the addition of a small, fast prime lens for low light situations would be useful, but it's no means essential. However, the problem I find, and I'm sure I'll be in good company here, is that when the 40-150 is on the camera the combination is too long to fit in most of my camera bags. The matter is made worse if you keep the lens hood extended, or like me, use a replacement hood that bayonets onto the front.

I have larger bags that will take the equipment, but they're really too big and bulky with too much wasted space for just a camera and two lenses. What's required is a long, narrow top-loader type of bag, but those that I've seen will take the camera and telephoto zoom, but not the standard zoom as well. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Please don't suggest a backpack, though; I don't like them much. A shoulder or sling bag is much more convenient.

I couldn't really find a setup I likes for hiking, so I put together my own. It's a Mountainsmith 'Day' lumbar pack with a padded insert I got off Amazon. The MS lumbar packs have a great waist strap for hiking that can be tucked away when not in use.
PXL_20210610_120559757.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PXL_20210610_120710462.jpg

PXL_20210610_120716043.jpg

PXL_20210610_121515965.jpg

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've used a Domke RuggedWear F-5XZ bag for a couple of years to hold a camera + two lenses (such as the classic 4/3rds 50-200mm + adapter) with the lens hood reversed. I don't normally shoot with gripped bodies, so its interior size (9.7 x 9.2 x 4" / 24.64 x 23.37 x 10.16 cm) might be a little tight if you shoot with an E-m1x or E-m1 mark III + HLD-9.

Baenwort

Strictly Amateur
I use a older Lowpro 200AW sling and it fits both lenses and a flash:
IMG_20210706_094025.jpg

Tight but worked for me for years and the single strap does mean that it can get a bit wearing after a whole day. I widen the strap with a guitar shoulder pad to help with this.

I think the 250 is the same size.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I always separate the long lens from the camera when I put it in the bag.
#1, I don't have a LARGE/DEEP bag.
Mine is similar to the Amazon Basic bag.​
#2, I don't need the lens ON the camera when packed. I would rather pack for security, than for convenience.
#3, When unpacking the camera at the game, or packing after the game, mounting/unmounting the lens has never been an issue for me.
I totally break down the kit (remove then reverse the hood, put on the lens cap, unmount the lens, put a rear cap on the lens, put a body cap or short lens on the camera, pack lens and camera into the bag.)

If you are talking about "in use" carry, I have a different method.
I use a padded lens case that is attached to a wide belt.
The camera attached to the lens is inserted into the lens case (lens down), and carried.

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Peak design 6l sling will do nicely, thinktank retrospective 5 also works well for this combination of lenses

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Having worked retail peddling this stuff, and also dealing with a lot of lens repairs, I prefer to store my lenses horizontal instead of face down where one could set the bag down too hard and then jam the helicoil barrel's rollers which then need some $500-$700 replacement as the screw threads are stripped and then the zoom lens jams or is stubborn to turn. Bad part is it eats more storage real estate doing it that way, albeit safer.

Somewhat like these:
Olympus-E-M1-II-Box.jpg

Nikon-Z7-II-bag.jpg

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I use a Peak Design V1 10L Everyday Sling; it easily carries an E-M1 Mk.II with mounted 40-150mm f2.8 + Olympus hood, 12-40mm f2.8 (sans hood) or 7-14mm f2.8, MC-20 or MC-14, spare battery, lens cloth, notebook and sunglasses.

Last edited:

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a couple of Sanstrom bags from Currys (I see the OP is from the UK). The smaller one takes the 12-40 mounted, the larger one takes the 40-150 mounted, with a TC if required, though with the hood retracted. There are side and front pockets and a top mesh compartment, which can accommodate small primes, TCs and other accessories.

It is possible to squeeze the 12-40 into the mesh compartment of the larger bag if you remove the hood, but there is a risk it could rub against the camera body and 40-150, so I wouldn’t recommend it.

48B594E7-5E8A-42C2-9260-42C228E9B657.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom