Bag for 4 small prime lens kit

Edmunds

Mu-43 Regular
While I find zooms convenient, I find that all of my best pictures are taken with prime lenses. So I'm looking to sell all my zooms and stick with primes.

However, with zooms I was able to carry just 2 or 3 lenses (wide angle + normal/superzoom or wide angle + normal + tele).

With primes, I'm not really able to trim it down to 3 lenses :( Because I really like shooting wide angles occasionally, I need the Laowa 7.5mm. And m4/3 still doesn't have a 21mm equiv!! So I'm thinking of a kit that consists of:

Laowa 7.5mm f/2
Oly 12mm f/2
Oly 17mm f/1.8
Oly 45mm f/1.8
(536 grams)

OR

Laowa 7.5mm f/2
Pana 14mm f/2.5
Oly 25mm f/1.8
Oly 45mm f/1.8
(478 grams)

(any thoughts on these kits are appreciated)

All of my bags are meant for a kit that includes 2-3 large lenses. Any recommendations for a bag that works well for 4 of these tiny lenses?

I don't want the hassle of taking a backpack on and off, so I'm guessing it needs to be a shoulder bag, and I definitely don't want to put lenses on top of each other, I want all lenses immediately accessible when I open the bag.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I carry my Pen F and the Oly 12, 17, 25 and 45 in an Ona Bowery. One of the lenses is always attached to the camera, of course. There's enough room for an extra battery and memory card, and even an aftermarket charger. I'm not sure what kind of camera you have. An E-M5 might work. An E-M1 would not.

Real Name
Chris
I use the Wotancraft Trooper small bag with my Pen F. Usually have 45mm fitted to Pen F on one side of the divider, and can fit 2 or 3 small primes on the other. Small zippered pouches either end of bag can fit a small prime too, but they are not big pouches.

Lenses I carry with bag: Oly 45mm 1.8/ Oly 17mm 1.8/ Panny 12-32mm3.5/ and an Oly 75mm 1.8.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Peak desing everyday sling 5L , depending on size of the camera you can fit 3-4 small primes

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Ona Bowery, Domke F-5XA or F-5XB, Think Tank Speed Changer v2.0 (they removed the loops for the shoulder strap on the v3.0 :doh:). I've owned all but the 5XA, still have Bowery and Speed. The Speed and 5XA might be tight depending on the body you have and how you carry the lenses.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I don't want the hassle of taking a backpack on and off, so I'm guessing it needs to be a shoulder bag
I don't know why bum-bags aren't more popular. I can rotate mine around to the front and get shooting while my buddies are still looking around for a dry place to put their shoulder bag. And when the bum-bag is in front, it makes a handy "shelf" for changing lenses, filters, attachments, etc. And at the end of a long day, my shoulder doesn't ache from having a strap on it all day.

I really love my LowePro Orion bum-bag. It comes with a strap, so you can pretend that it's a shoulder bag amid company that stylistically frowns on bum-bags. :)

(Story here.)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tkbslc

Super Moderator
There are no bags with lens compartments that those lenses won't drown in. They are all quite small. I would recommend a short horizontally oriented bag and use stacked lens caps to put two lenses in a lens slot. (Basically just glue two rear caps together). A bag that I have that would work well for this is the Domke FX5-B.

As for the lens kits, I'd recommend maybe something different than 45mm f1.8. My opinion is that it is not enough reach to be your longest lens and not enough gap from 25mm. I'd recommend the 56mm f1.4, 60mm f2.8 or 75mm f1.8 instead. I'd probably go 15mm f1.7, 25mm f1.8 and 56mm f1.4 myself.

Edmunds

Mu-43 Regular
Wow, this is a lot of choices to look at! Thanks everyone!

Out of all of these I really like the Peak Design one the best... alas, that zipper is a deal breaker. I cannot imagine opening up a zipper every time I want to take out my camera while traveling.

This is gonna take an unexpected amount of research as I probably can't try any of these in the local stores.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I cannot imagine opening up a zipper every time I want to take out my camera while traveling.
It really isn't so bad with a bum bag.

You simply keep it partially open when you're shooting and have it rotated around to your belly. You can quickly run the zipper to the corner, which will protect everything from getting dumped out if you unexpectedly "go horizontal" for some reason.

Edmunds

Mu-43 Regular
Sorry, bum bags for me are a socks-in-sandals kind of a deal breaker :eek-31:

I have a zipper on one of my current bags... I just walk around with the thing unzipped. But its a pretty deep bag, so nothing can fall out.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
Not mentioned above... the bag that has turned out to be my fav for m43 and multiple small lenses is the LowePro ProTactic SH 120 AW.

Things I like:
Top handle is mounted to the half circle rings the shoulder strap connects to (I hate bags that have the top handle attached to the top).

It has a zipper underneath the top flap if you really want to seal it up, but don't need to use it as it has a front clasp.

Not much bigger than a lunch box.

Webbing on sides, front and bottom for additional pouches (one included) and straps (also included) for a travel tripod to be strapped to the bottom.

Back zippered compartment holds a elastic surrounded rain shroud.

Excellent structural integrity top and bottom.

Things I don't like:
Nuthin' really.

Edmunds

Mu-43 Regular
OK, so I've gone through the list.

• Think Tank Photo Retrospective 5 looks like a great option, but v1 weights over a kilo and v2 is over 900 grams. IMO, that is just too large.
  • Think Tank Photo Speed Changer has zips, which makes quick lens changes (necessary when carrying primes) hard.
  • Peak Design everyday sling also has zips.
  • Wotancraft Trooper - I would get executed if my wife found out my camera bag cost more than any of her bags
  • Domke F-5XA - is as high as it is narrow. I'm looking to carry 3 small primes and a camera with a mounted prime lens. This bag seems better suited to, for example, a 12-40mm + 75-300mm kit.
  • Domke F-5XB - looks like a good option. However, its 18cm high. The biggest lens I would get is 6cm high.
  • Ona Bowery - Similar to the Domke F-5XB, but more stylish. Again, the bag seems rather high.
  • Lowepro ProTactic SH 120 AW - even higher than the Domke, and at 800g much heavier

Right now looks like the top choices are Domke F-5XB and Ona Bowery, but I'm really looking for something that isn't quite as high, so that I have access to all the lenses at once, and they don't drown in the bag

I'm also thinking of taking the above advice and gluing the lens caps together, but I'm not really sure how convenient that works in practical use. I change lenses without looking - clip off the lens in the camera, let it fall into a free compartment, unscrew lens cap, screw it on the old lens, screw the lens on camera. If the lens caps are glued together, I'm betting I'd have to pull out that lens 'set' for a lens change.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom