1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Bag for 2 OM-D Bodies + Lenses

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Betinski, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    So I'm taking my safari dream trip to Tanzania and I thought I could use my "airplane travel bag" for this trip but realized I used it last with my Canon 7D + lenses and it doesn't work for my safari. I've been searching online and might not have a chance to get to a large camera store for a hands-on exploration.I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what might work. I will have one OM-D w/75-300 & grip+battery holder and another body w/ 12-35 & grip. I'll also take my 60mm macro and 35-100. Lots of memory cards, batteries, remote, possibly flash and other small accessories. I'll be traveling in a jeep but do want a lightweight bag since I'll be taking a small plane into the bush. Possibly room for my iPad. I tend towards backpack type bags...but am open to anything. I need a bag that I can open & close quickly to change lenses and not let dust in. Whew...long list of needs. Thank you for any ideas of what might work.

2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
  3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
  4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    What about the new lowepro's flipside 15 and 20L. They look great and MADE for the outdoor photographer. Im thinking in getting one for a big trip to patagonia with a similar setup as yours

5. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

I ordered this bag - should be getting it this week sometime. It's the only bag I could find that is close to the size of my Domke F-6 that has it's flap open away from the body. Looks perfect. My only concern is that it looks like a camera bag! I ordered the sage version.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks for your ideas. I'm checking them out. I'm thinking a backpack makes the most sense...just figuring out which one. Making myself slightly crazy!

• Like Like x 1
  7. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Right now, I carry my stuff in a backpack, and the shoulder bag makes it a lot more easy to get the cameras/lenses in and out. With my back pack, it is a lot of trouble. But that is only according to my brain. What ever you decide on, will be great.

8. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    I agree the shoulder bag makes it easier to get things in and out...I'm worried about carrying the bag through the airports.. I'm probably putting too much thought into this because it's such a huge trip for me.

9. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Since I have seen the bag in person, that size can be a carry on, no problem.

10. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks again! I'm checking it out and may order it!

11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Every bag that we post on this board looks like a camera bag because form follows function. :eek: I have Tenba bag already and love it, I have the Tenba Large Shoulder Bag in my B&H wish list in case a trip we are talking about becomes reality.

FWIW - I think that a shoulder bag would be great to go through airports with.

12. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Wow, good to know that I'm not the only one liking the Tenba Discovery Large Shoulder Bag: I could find no reviews, except for 2 in Amazon. But it looks great in person (I checked it out at a store before ordering it online for a cheaper price).

Just like the Domke F-6, the Tenba allows gear to be spread out (up to 6-9 compartments inside). Hence, you don't need to stack them, which makes it very very easy to work out of.

You are absolutely right about the airport factor. I have the aforementioned Flipsides in 3 sizes, but even the smallest one is cumbersome to travel with (I use them locally, and love all 3 sizes!).

BTW, which Tenba do you have? Thx.

13. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Check this out. Very comfortable backpack that doesn't scream camera gear.

Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack (Black) DCB-309 B&H Photo

I used this for 3 weeks in Thailand and it was just the right size for M43, plus it can carry a small laptop or iPad. Go ahead and laugh at the price, but for what it sells for you can throw it away and buy another for the next trip. BTW, I have 4 camera backpacks, including a great one from Think Tank, the Streetwalker Pro, but it does not have a ipad slot and the version that does, the HD, is way too big.

14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the Tenba Mini Messenger.

15. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Case Logic bag is almost too cheap! What's a gal to do with all this great info. Keep reading.... I'll let you all know which bag I've decided to buy...when I finally decide!

16. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    If you want this kind of access to your two gripped cameras, think about getting a Billingham 07 series. If the sky opens up while you're way out there, the Billingham's got you covered.

IMG_2100a_DxO.

17. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    I was beginning to think I was the world's last remaining backpack fan. I love my messenger style bag for everyday use, but I hike a lot. Sometimes all day. Sometimes I'm going over rocks, etc., and need to use both hands and don't want my bag swinging around.

My favorite backpacks are those by Kata.

What I love:

• Strap versatility. I really like being able to go full backpack, one strap, or one strap across the body. Straps not being used get tucked away.
    • The yellow interior makes it much easier to find things.
    • Bi directional. Wether you wear to sling around the left or right side, it will work for you.

The only downside is they're not really geared specifically toward smaller gear like an good MFT collection. I really dig the plethora of small sections in the Tenba posted above. As MFT continues to get more popular, hopefully we'll see similar layouts in more bags.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Dude, you're a tourist on safari in Africa. Even if it doesn't look like a camera bag it will be assumed to be one.

My only real semi-stealth bags are my waterproof ortlieb and a cheap black backpack with an insert from a crumpled shoulder bag fitted inside. For Safari I would not worry too much about quick access - you will cover almost everything with 2 bodies, 2 zooms and have both cameras out almost all the time. I rarely changed glass.

19. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Guys, give up the 'looks like a camera bag" thing. I can see if it's a casual or dressy social situation that happens to include photography, but photography is big in a trip like the OP's.

20. dragons4Mama

dragons4Mama Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 31, 2012
    MetroWest MA
    Tamrac Model 5786 Evolution 6

Works as a backpack - has waist belt & sternum strap. Also works as a sling bag - over EITHER shoulder!! I like the sling bag w/ strap on my Left shoulder, which is apparently wrong, as many sling bags are right shoulder only. Unused shoulder strap & waist straps can be tucked away.

Side pockets are the same w/ sling on either shoulder (I have moved the rain cover to the matching pocket on the other side - the side that is down when I sling the bag to the front)

Gear can be accessed from front double-zipper flap or from either side "door". Top section is also padded (no dividers) so can be used for more camera gear or for "purse" or travel stuff. Padded divider between bottom and top velcros in on all 4 sides so can be moved to accommodate a larger lens in the bottom (though for ยต43 you shouldn't need to do this - I did to accommodate 5D w/ 70-200)

Front tripod pocket on Evolution 6 will only hold a small tripod (my Manfrotto 055XPROB doesn't fit - upper strap not long enough & foot pocket too small)

I chose the Evolution 6 because it fit my (narrow) shoulders & frame better.

Evolution 8 - next size larger - has padded computer pocket (fits up to 15") and should hold a larger tripod

• Like Like x 1